Be careful what we wish for

casual-observer

Pantone 151C
I'm not saying I love Jeremy Pruitt. He was dealt a bad hand with the way he took over 2018. Several losses that should have been wins (GA State, BYU, KY, Arkansas, Auburn) and we keep getting blown out in the second half of games. And not to mention the inexplicable handing with JG.

However, with all the 'fire Pruitt' talk...let's take a minute to compare how the other coaches have fared since 2018 that were in the running for the UTK HC position three short years ago:

Coach -- Wins-Losses -- Winning %
Dan Mullen -- 27-6 -- 82%
Mike Gundy -- 20-12 -- 63%
Mike Leach -- 19-13 -- 59%
Dave Doeren -- 19-15 -- 56%
Jeremy Pruitt -- 15-17 -- 47%
David Cutcliffe -- 15-18 -- 45%
Jeff Brohm -- 12-17 -- 41%
Mel Tucker -- 6-10 -- 38%
Kevin Sumlin -- 9-16 -- 36%
Scott Frost -- 10-18 -- 36%
Chip Kelly -- 8-19 -- 30%
Greg Schiano -- 1-3 -- 25%
Les Miles -- 3-15 -- 17%

Couple of things stand out...

#1 - If UT is not careful, they will continue to place the school in a position that is 'undesirable' or toxic for coaches. Who wants to come be a part of this rabid, unforgiving, unsupportive, and unreasonable fan base?
#2 - It's really hard to hire good coaches
#3 - Be patient. It does take time to recruit and turn things around. Dooley killed the program. Jones killed the culture.
#4 - CJP does have some growing up in the position to do. But I don't think he is as bad as the record shows.

I'm not saying I love Jeremy Pruitt. He was dealt a bad hand with the way he took over 2018. Several losses that should have been wins (GA State, BYU, KY, Arkansas, Auburn) and we keep getting blown out in the second half of games. And not to mention the inexplicable handing with JG.

However, with all the 'fire Pruitt' talk...let's take a minute to compare how the other coaches have fared since 2018 that were in the running for the UTK HC position three short years ago:

Les Miles -- 3-15 -- 17%

#1 - If UT is not careful, they will continue to place the school in a position that is 'undesirable' or toxic for coaches. Who wants to come be a part of this rabid, unforgiving, unsupportive, and unreasonable fan base?
#3 - Be patient. It does take time to recruit and turn things around. Dooley killed the program. Jones killed the culture.
#4 - CJP does have some growing up in the position to do. But I don't think he is as bad as the record shows.
He is actually worse than his record shows. The Indiana bowl game last year was a lucky win. CJP has to go by the end of the season. We are going to lose recruits which is the only way we can get back to relevancy and Pruitt is definitely not going to over achieve with lesser talent. It’s a tough pill to swallow but that is where the program is now.

Last edited:

Les Miles -- 3-15 -- 17%

Based off what he walked into pruitt deserves one more year to put another nice class together. He must really make massive strides in year 4 though in my opinion. No more excuses after that. If he loses to big boys it better be close in well coached and hard fought games tight in scoring to deserve a year 5. 8 and 4 will not cut it

Les Miles -- 3-15 -- 17%

Are you implying Pruitt is improving it? Because the evidence doesn't back up that he's improving either.

Reactions: Bigun and 08Vol
To keep trotting JG out there and doing the same thing over and over and then expecting different results is the true definition of insanity.

It’s hard to believe in him watching this same clown show week after week and there not be any changes and the same statement week after week “he gives us the best chance to win” and then lose again by double digits.

I am at a loss for words.

someone will be successful in this job. That someone may need some time to beat Florida, Georgia, and Alabama.....but, they’ll beat Kentucky and the like immediately.

it’s year 3 and people are nervous about a game against winless Vandy.

And they aren’t crazy either

Last edited:

Les Miles -- 3-15 -- 17%

Oh I forgot about Dave Doeren. Poor guy was rejected by our snobby fans once his name was mentioned. Not so as to the reason why. I don't blame him at all for wanting to stay at NC State.

Les Miles -- 3-15 -- 17%

Have you ever been on an island by yourself? Well you are now....

So you are saying Pruitt has done a good job other than not having the team prepared to play lesser competition, not making adjustments, and F'ing up the most important position in sports?

Based off what he walked into pruitt deserves one more year to put another nice class together. He must really make massive strides in year 4 though in my opinion. No more excuses after that. If he loses to big boys it better be close in well coached and hard fought games tight in scoring to deserve a year 5. 8 and 4 will not cut it
After what we've seen, do you really believe Pruitt has even a remote chance to turn this team into an 8-4 team next year? And according to you that won't cut it.

Bottom line is we have recruited the talent, but the head coach is choking our offense with incredibly stupid decisions not to innovate offensive schemes or change QB after years of sub-par mediocrity and failure obvious to everyone else.

Guys I’m taking the grandkids to see Santa tomorrow. Should I use my one shot on asking for a new coach?

I really want a new .22 magnum.....a CZ 512 or a Ruger American rimfire target.

But Im down to take one for the team......also my grandson says if you ask Santa directly he HAS to bring it.

Guys I’m taking the grandkids to see Santa tomorrow. Should I use my one shot on asking for a new coach?

I really want a new .22 magnum.....a CZ 512 or a Ruger American rimfire target.

But Im down to take one for the team......also my grandson says if you ask Santa directly he HAS to bring it.
Go with the Ruger

VN Store

Back