Aviation Discussion

In the 60's he ran out of fuel over Hanoi and came out of there 75 feet above the ground at 625 to avoid the SAMS and then
a fellow that he was in flight school with heard his radio transmission and came and refueled him in the air and that
situation was an absolute miracle. Normally he would not have ran out of fuel, but his fuel tank would not switch over. He was on the USS Independence then.
He is and always will be my Hero, and he is still going strong doing real estate now, and he is still a "Commander", he is just not in the Navy anymore :)
View attachment 293784
Takes a special person to land an aircraft on a postage stamp bobbing around in the ocean!! I got that description from a navy pilot on the Saratoga (1969). I was a USAF SSgt in Libya at the time (Wheelus AFB)

Reactions: Vjcvette
Had a first yesterday. Working a flight into Nashville and they had a lady giving birth on board.

Flew commercial for business for a bit over 30 years and about 1.4 million miles in the lower 48 and never saw anything like that. Wow.

Saw very few issues/problems over those 30+ years... Thank you to all who made that possible, crews in the air and on the ground, thank you

@ATC_VOL you prefer the highs or lows?

I can’t remember, do any of your sectors touch Indy?
I honestly enjoy both. We have a pretty good variety in all of our stratums. Lately the lows have been decently busy while the highs have really slacked off at times with the lack of commercial aircraft. Been training an r- side trainee on the lows most days for the past month.

Yeah we touch Indy sectors 17,19,21,81,82,84,91,92, & 94.

I honestly enjoy both. We have a pretty good variety in all of our stratums. Lately the lows have been decently busy while the highs have really slacked off at times with the lack of commercial aircraft. Been training an r- side trainee on the lows most days for the past month.

Yeah we touch Indy sectors 17,19,21,81,82,84,91,92, & 94.
That’s our areas one and two. They okay to work with? I don’t ever hear anyone bitch about Memphis; Washington on the other hand...

Is it boring for a CPC to try a D-Side?

That’s our areas one and two. They okay to work with? I don’t ever hear anyone bitch about Memphis; Washington on the other hand...

Is it boring for a CPC to try a D-Side?
Yeah they’re all fine. The one with 84 is generally a little better but we rarely have a complaint about either. I hung out for half an hour or so in that area when I was at ZID for a class.

I think you meant train. Just depends on if there’s good stuff going on like holding, WX, multiple IFR approaches, etc. Definitely more fun to train an R-side. I try to get my d-side trainees to start thinking as a r-side though as soon as they can. D-side is definitely way more boring since automated point-outs started. Also it can be frustrating when the CPC r-side that’s working is doing something cringe worth.

Yeah they’re all fine. The one with 84 is generally a little better but we rarely have a complaint about either. I hung out for half an hour or so in that area when I was at ZID for a class.

I think you meant train. Just depends on if there’s good stuff going on like holding, WX, multiple IFR approaches, etc. Definitely more fun to train an R-side. I try to get my d-side trainees to start thinking as a r-side though as soon as they can. D-side is definitely way more boring since automated point-outs started. Also it can be frustrating when the CPC r-side that’s working is doing something cringe worth.

Area 2 is probably our hardest checkout. They own so much airspace to the ground. My area is probably next. All highs, but pretty high volume feeding ZDC and ZTL.

Definitely meant train. I had to do verbal POs for a week, then they let me just do automated. I had one trainer who made me APPREQ every CLT arrival who was IAFDOF even though the course is pretty much a 180. I think he did it just to hear how mad ZTL would get with me.

Area 2 is probably our hardest checkout. They own so much airspace to the ground. My area is probably next. All highs, but pretty high volume feeding ZDC and ZTL.

Definitely meant train. I had to do verbal POs for a week, then they let me just do automated. I had one trainer who made me APPREQ every CLT arrival who was IAFDOF even though the course is pretty much a 180. I think he did it just to hear how mad ZTL would get with me.

Reactions: ATC_VOL

What ZTL sectors do you touch? Area 2 at ZID is the one around SDF?

Yeah wrong for directions on headings like that are annoying.

I guess you’re on the floor now? We have some r sides working that have been in the building the whole time but no d-side trainees have returned yet.

I guess you’re on the floor now? We have some r sides working that have been in the building the whole time but no d-side trainees have returned yet.

Pulaski T43 and Salem T42 both highs and Baden T15 super high. Bristol T45 is the low. All directly south.

And then I get a small sliver of BRN T39 and BUU T40 and HCH T41, who I’m guessing you border.

I’m not on the floor; was just referencing my two weeks back in March. We have some R side trainees back to work, but no D sides. The newest rumor is those of us on AG pay will get priority so we can at least get the first raise. Money is tight for some, I guess. I definitely had assumed I would have my two raises by this point when planning out a budget for the year. My wife and 8 month old could be magicians with how quickly they make money disappear.

Area 1 has SDF. Area 2 highs are just north of T39 and T40. They probably feed you through J6 and receive J42. Their lows are that location plus all the airspace beneath me.

Area 1 has SDF. Area 2 highs are just north of T39 and T40. They probably feed you through J6 and receive J42. Their lows are that location plus all the airspace beneath me.
That’s right. I remember now them saying how far their lows go. We only see sector 21 of their lows. No more J6 when you get back. At least the portion in my airspace got decommissioned after the BWG VOR went away.

Definitely frustrating with the lack of training/ raises for so many.

You’re correct, we border T41. Also T36 which combines up with the sector 40 you mentioned.

That’s right. I remember now them saying how far their lows go. We only see sector 21 of their lows. No more J6 when you get back. At least the portion in my airspace got decommissioned after the BWG VOR went away.

Definitely frustrating with the lack of training/ raises for so many.

You’re correct, we border T41. Also T36 which combines up with the sector 40 you mentioned.

I’m guessing T36 is Altoona? That was never depicted on any of my maps, so when they called over the shout line as Blue Tuna I was so confused.

I hadn’t heard that about J6, but J42 is going the same route and BKW is being decommissioned soon. My area got to submit the recommendations for the new waypoint name.

I’m guessing T36 is Altoona? That was never depicted on any of my maps, so when they called over the shout line as Blue Tuna I was so confused.

I hadn’t heard that about J6, but J42 is going the same route and BKW is being decommissioned soon. My area got to submit the recommendations for the new waypoint name.
I honestly don’t know how I’ll live if I don’t say “cleared direct Beckley 100 times a day.

Affirmative to Altoona.

Reactions: Tri-CitiesVol
@ATC_VOL

My transfer to the Indiana guard didn’t go through. I really wish they did more to help out NG members when it comes to facility selection. I’m probably going to have to do RDO swaps and take an additional 3-4 days off each month so I can get my flight hours in. Not to mention, money spent on airline tickets will eat up whatever I make while on orders. I was really hoping they’d keep me close by with Memphis or Atlanta, but at least it’s not somewhere out west I guess.

It looks like I won’t be going back until there’s a vaccine with the latest national guidelines put out. Our county is well above the new case threshold and only widening the gap.

@ATC_VOL

My transfer to the Indiana guard didn’t go through. I really wish they did more to help out NG members when it comes to facility selection. I’m probably going to have to do RDO swaps and take an additional 3-4 days off each month so I can get my flight hours in. Not to mention, money spent on airline tickets will eat up whatever I make while on orders. I was really hoping they’d keep me close by with Memphis or Atlanta, but at least it’s not somewhere out west I guess.

It looks like I won’t be going back until there’s a vaccine with the latest national guidelines put out. Our county is well above the new case threshold and only widening the gap.

That sucks about having to burn all of your leave. How much more time do you have in the guard? I thought they had to approve military leave for you to go to your unit?

I live in a different county than where ZME is but I’m sure the numbers are up here too. Has been good getting to finish up our r-side trainees though. We have a handful of folks doing stuff back in the lab as well.

That sucks about having to burn all of your leave. How much more time do you have in the guard? I thought they had to approve military leave for you to go to your unit?

I live in a different county than where ZME is but I’m sure the numbers are up here too. Has been good getting to finish up our r-side trainees though. We have a handful of folks doing stuff back in the lab as well.

I believe I get 15 days paid mil leave, after that will be vacation or unpaid. I have 5 years left on the initial contract, but I’d love to make a career of it and double dip on retirements.

I swear it seems like every facility but us has people going back to work. NATCA here seems to only be looking out for CPCs. They’re still on 5/5 schedules and people are filing ATSAPs because traffic has been too high for staffing at times, evidently. Still won’t bring us back.

I believe I get 15 days paid mil leave, after that will be vacation or unpaid. I have 5 years left on the initial contract, but I’d love to make a career of it and double dip on retirements.

I swear it seems like every facility but us has people going back to work. NATCA here seems to only be looking out for CPCs. They’re still on 5/5 schedules and people are filing ATSAPs because traffic has been too high for staffing at times, evidently. Still won’t bring us back.
The last two weeks have picked up pretty good hear. They still won’t schedule any OT though except for mids. So we have 5 or 6 people in the area on a lot of shifts.

No, I wish because I like that call sign. I had the mid last night so wasn’t there today. Remember what frequency you were on?

I want to say 122.8, but not familiar with any Memphis freqs. Came through HCH, into ZME, through Nashville APP, into another ZME sector I believe. The lows were busy today.

I want to say 122.8, but not familiar with any Memphis freqs. Came through HCH, into ZME, through Nashville APP, into another ZME sector I believe. The lows were busy today.
Probably 128.15. That’s pretty cool. You probably talked to one of my trainees that’s certified on the lows. Yeah our lows have been very busy lately. Lots of flight school stuff especially.

Probably 128.15. That’s pretty cool. You probably talked to one of my trainees that’s certified on the lows. Yeah our lows have been very busy lately. Lots of flight school stuff especially.

Heading to Nashville tomorrow afternoon if you’re working. Same callsign.

VN Store

Back