We need to stop

This was an event that hasn't happened in 35 years. This was a blowout at a level that hasn't happened in more than twice that time frame to this team. It unfolded in a predictable fashion with Guaranturnover melting down while the head coach twiddled his thumbs. It was the second historically bad loss in 13 months from this coaching staff. We need to stop all right, stop acting like we don't smell the rot and start acknowledging the stench.

Hopefully the 100k fine we got because he can't understand mask requirements comes off his eventual buyout.
LOL Good one. I watched “Moneyball” again last night. Maybe we should put pay drink machines in the coaches lounge.

Reactions: DaUndergroundMan
I just can't fathom how the desperation of winning and the fear of losing doesn't light a fire every week. Which means not coming out with these stupid statements about your confidence level in a starting QB while getting embarrassed the week before.

Look, I get it. We did a lot of things wrong against UGA but what we didn't know is the QB was tipping the defense off about the timing of the snapcount. No wonder they knew run or pass, and when the snap was happening. It's a 5th year senior that has been excruciating to watch for 3+ years. I hate it for JG but it's a fact.

This week was an abomination.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
I've seen us get beat a few times each season for the past several years. I think I've also seen us beat ourselves more. Whether its attributable to staff, players or combos thereof. We probably need to get out of our own way first and fast.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
It's not that we lost so much as who we lost to and how it happened.

UK has beaten us 3 times in my lifetime and the first one I was too young to remember. The other 2 times were 2 of Tennessee's worst teams ever; the first was still kind of a fluke and the second we still barely lost and it was the only 8 loss team in program history. UK's best team since 1977 still lost to us. And it was a blowout.
Two of those losses to UK came with JG as the starter. He is 1-2 versus Kentucky as as a starter. Let that sink in. Worst QB in my lifetime.

Acting like we're the only team that has ever lost a game we should have won coming off a big loss the week before. Georgia beat us two weeks in a row!
this is disingenuous at best, pruitt is in his 3rd year and hes regressed, nobody's acting like we're the only ones to ever lose a game

Just from a football perspective, Schiano is a better HC than Pruitt. Wolken was right - we ended up with an inferior HC after Schiano Sunday

So what? Does this have some deep point that I'm missing? Would you rather have Schiano?

I'm worried JG playing timid will rub off on our other QB's, which seemed to maybe happen to Shrout this game. Coaches need to find a way to get them confident so we can at least get to 6-6 this year. HB starting against Bama may not be a good idea but maybe he can come in and surprise them with some throws to get us in scoring position. The only excitement of the Bama game might be getting to see HB getting some play time again.

Maybe I'm missing something here. But, it's going to be really tough to get to 6 - 6 when at most you're playing only 11 games (including a possible bowl game).

Last edited:
Acting like we're the only team that has ever lost a game we should have won coming off a big loss the week before. Georgia beat us two weeks in a row!

I believe that TN had a serious hangover from last week. Not taking anything away from UK. But, your team is much better than they played today.

Reactions: lifeVol

I don't think it is so much losing a game, but 10+ years of what we saw today on the field, yes, every team experiences losses, but 4 HC and what appears to be no identity on either side of the ball. The S&C program certainly was none existent, play calling, out of position, in position but did not execute, 5* Linemen being pushed around, lack of enthusiasm, quitting in the middle of the game, seasoned QB playing like a freshman.

Why can't UT find a seasoned HC who knows and identifies these types of internal issues and fixes them? I think what most of you are missing, you can't fake being a leader (HC), sure scheming and calling plays, but looking into your team's eyes and know what to say and get them to produce. That is why people hate Nick Saban, it isn't about the X & Os or the Jimmy and the Joes, he knows how to get his team ready for Saturday and Dooley, Butch, and Lane all lacked those qualities.

Pruitt is a good man, but in order for him to reach elite status, he will need to cut his teeth at UT and learn those lessons the hard way like Nick Saban. Not all leaders are naturals at it, they need the trial by fire and CJP just got a heaping serving of it from KY. Stoops had his bad years and KY stuck by him and look what he did to UT at Knoxville, with very few 4* players.

I no longer believe UT Administration will ever shell out the cash to hire an elite coach. We will have to sit back and wait and see if Pruitt gives up or he matures and becomes the coach we all want him to be. I see why Nick Saban goes through so many assistant coaches, none of them want to learn the good lessons the hard way. Everyone thinks they have the answer to a great process.

What’s frustrating too me is not the loss but the manner in which we lost both games. We have a qb that has demonstrated ad nauseum he does not possess the tools to win at a level we demand. I can not stand to see all these personal fouls on the coaching staff and players. I expected Pruitt to have growing pains as a HC. But we’re mid way thru year 3 and I do not see a improvement in game preparations and in game adjustments I would expect. Also I realize this year is completely out of the norm but guess what everyone else is in the same boat. We have had to re-arrange our schedule 2 times this year for high school and play one week on Monday and then another opponent Friday. It is going to be awe fully hard to recruit at a high level if this does not turn around quickly. At least the deer are starting to rut in SC!!!!!

The does in SC ain’t the only thing getting screwed 😀

If you don’t recognize this team and coaching staff has some real issues, like players quitting on their teammates and their coach, then keep watching because those attitudes are program killers. This is not about Georgia or Kentucky, it rests solely on the Tennessee coaches, players and Administrators. This football program is dying a slow painful death, over decades, and for the first time, I am not sure the football program recovers to challenge the top tier teams of the SEC.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
Team isn't as good as last year's team, with better talent i might add. Makes you wonder why we're paying so much for assistants. The offense is hot garbage for the 3rd year in a row.. Someone needs to tell coach cornbread you have to score a few points in these games to win..

Give a little credit to Kentucky, they came to Knoxville ready to play.

They came to play and we didn’t...and the Vols are no where near good enough to just show up and win...especially against an SEC opponent. The D came to play in the first half but it’s hard to keep going out there when the O is so bad...

It’s not that we lost. We got beat 34-7 by Kentucky

our O gave them 17 points in the first half...they actually made halftime adjustments and put together a couple of good drives in the second half...whereas our offense went from bad to worse...

Reactions: Tnphil
Most people will agree that HB should not start against Bama. However, Shrout should get the start and if the OC can't develop a game plan to make that competitive then his azz should be out of here before Arkansas. You bring in a guy off the bench and you don't have a simple pass play for his first throw, instead you call some deep outs, It's stupid play calling which we have seen a lot of these past two years. JG does not deserve to see the field after the last two games. I hear Kentucky gave JG the game ball because they didn't have anybody on their team that earned it like JG did.

I'm worried JG playing timid will rub off on our other QB's, which seemed to maybe happen to Shrout this game. Coaches need to find a way to get them confident so we can at least get to 6-6 this year. HB starting against Bama may not be a good idea but maybe he can come in and surprise them with some throws to get us in scoring position. The only excitement of the Bama game might be getting to see HB getting some play time again.

I don’t think Shrout or Maurer are the answer...they were signed because we needed a QB in the class but from what I’ve seen neither are gonna be great QBs. Of course all we really need right now is a QB who can think more quickly than JG and not make all the mistakes so maybe they could be the stopgap plan. But I would plan on working HB with the first team in practice the next two weeks to get him ready to start after the Bama beat down. I’d plan on playing all three backups against Bama - maybe wait til after they’re up by 28 points so they will have their reserve five stars playin.

Reactions: JJobe1810
So what? Does this have some deep point that I'm missing? Would you rather have Schiano?

No, I'm not that smart to be making deep points. Just an observation that we had a chance to go the route of not having a coach learn on the job.

At some point, "learning on the job" turns into "not able to cut it at this level". Just think there's still debate on where we are on that scale.

Team isn't as good as last year's team, with better talent i might add. Makes you wonder why we're paying so much for assistants. The offense is hot garbage for the 3rd year in a row.. Someone needs to tell coach cornbread you have to score a few points in these games to win..

One thing to bring up is we replaced several assistants during the offseason and "on paper", the guys that left had more impressive resumes that guys that were brought in.

VN Store

Back