JG stat

I get your point, and yes of course it's inexcusable to have a fourth year starter who's been in the program 5 years and spends every off-season working with a supposed QB guru still have the issues he has.

However, it's just not news. It's been true all along and it's still true. Nothing new about it. It is what it is. But if we can find a way to win with it I'll take those wins.

But yes it would be great to have elite quarterback play so we would have a chance to be an elite team again.

Hes almost 62% passing.
He's near the bottom of the SEC at 33% in throws beyond 15 yards. It is almost "back to the future" so far. As a RS Fr they gave him "easy" throws that didn't produce points. Fortunately, UT now has a dominant run game to compensate. That won't be enough against UGA, UF, or Bama.

LOL... like any stat that demonstrates why JG has been ineffective as a passer, right?

UT finally has a dominant run game and JG manages it well. But the weaknesses in his passing game are not gone. They're still a significant liability.
I don’t understand the stat. It’s not the same formula as what PFF calls it’s accuracy percentage. Whatever adjustments are made result in reduced completions based on receiver performance when the PFF stat weighs the percentage in the QB’s favor by throwing out anything that is outside of their control.

Is the formula for this particular stat published anywhere?

I don’t understand the stat. It’s not the same formula as what PFF calls it’s accuracy percentage. Whatever adjustments are made result in reduced completions based on receiver performance when the PFF stat weighs the percentage in the QB’s favor by throwing out anything that is outside of their control.

Not sure but it is based on a count of "inaccurate throws". It appears that a completed crossing route that's thrown behind the receiver is called inaccurate.... and such things. JG has gotten away with throws vs these first two opponents that will be defended or INT's vs tight coverage.

He's near the bottom of the SEC at 33% in throws beyond 15 yards. It is almost "back to the future" so far. As a RS Fr they gave him "easy" throws that didn't produce points. Fortunately, UT now has a dominant run game to compensate. That won't be enough against UGA, UF, or Bama.
Fine, it won't be enough then. You've been spewing this nonsense for 3 years. Does it make you proud to constantly **** all over our starting QB?

Reactions: TennVols12
Not sure but it is based on a count of "inaccurate throws". It appears that a completed crossing route that's thrown behind the receiver is called inaccurate.... and such things. JG has gotten away with throws vs these first two opponents that will be defended or INT's vs tight coverage.

So it’s pretty unarguable that JG has always had a tendency to inexplicably overthrow wide open receivers. However, I don’t see how you can quantify accuracy when the route and expected ball placement are unknown variables. Like if this was a stat that was put together by the offensive quality control staff who have intimate knowledge of the route concepts, timing, and where the receivers should expect to see the ball it would be one thing. But in order to fill out those important variables to make this stat work it seems to take a fair amount of guess work.

I just don’t see why we should consider something like this reliable when we have existing statistics that are more widely accepted that tell us a consistent story.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Fine, it won't be enough then. You've been spewing this nonsense for 3 years.
And... "spewing" the truth consistently somehow makes it less truthful?

Does it make you proud to constantly **** all over our starting QB?
Does it make you proud to be a drooling cultist? Does it make you proud to take shots at a true Fr who was only playing because your idol played so poorly?

I've complimented JG. Objective people can see a person's strengths and weaknesses.

So it’s pretty unarguable that JG has always had a tendency to inexplicably overthrow wide open receivers. However, I don’t see how you can quantify accuracy when the route and expected ball placement are unknown variables. Like if this was a stat that was put together by the offensive quality control staff who have intimate knowledge of the route concepts, timing, and where the receivers should expect to see the ball it would be one thing. But in order to fill out those important variables to make this stat work it seems to take a fair amount of guess work.

I just don’t see why we should consider something like this reliable when we have existing statistics that are more widely accepted that tell us a consistent story.
Here's the site. He has a contact you can use to ask questions. If you get an answer then share it...

Secstatcat

Because it is helpful to look at something like this from as many angles as possible.

BTW, if you simply look at completion % on passes beyond 10 yds... it is actually consistent. Fourteen guys have over 10 attempts at that range. JG is 10th at 40.9%. Wilson, Hill, Nix, and Mond are behind him. It is noteworthy that Hill has faced UF and UT. Nix has faced UGA. Mond has faced Bama.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Give me a break. Given the sample size. The difference between 3rd and 10th is literally 2 or 3 throws.

2 or 3 throws can equal a td a game - a td a game can make the difference between third in the league and 8 th. That’s not counting dinks or drop offs to the rbs. Where he is probably 4 for 4 or 5 for 5 each game.
He played better in game two - hopefully he gets better each game. Georgia will be a tough matchup for him unfortunately.
Good luck to him on Saturday.

It’s really this simple. HCs are no different than us. They have preferences just as we do. Some of us want to see high flying offense and win games 49-35 while others get more satisfaction out of a defensive struggle and a 10-6 win.

In my experience I’ve never met a defensive minded coach that wanted to “air it out” on offense. They tend to be more of the opinion that turn overs cost you games. Which is true in the conservative approach they tend to employ. However when going head to head with a team of opposing strategy, the conservative team usually loses. Week 1 of the 2018 season is a good example. West Virginia was an air raid offense under Spatival. Pruitt/Helton played ball control. Good strategy IF you’re converting 3rd downs which we did not. JG threw for under 200 yards and 1 td 0 ints while Will Grier threw for nearly 450 5 tds and 0 ints. We lost 40-14 even WITH a good run attack that Jordan ran for over 100. It’s easy to say our defense just wasn’t good back then but I find it hard to believe that it wasn’t every bit as good as WVUs, being a Big 12 team. So everything was even imo EXCEPT strategy.

An offensive minded coach understands that ints are a part of the game. A good defense will make a stop on half of its “extra possessions”. So if a qb throws 2 ints in a game it’s equates to 7 extra points (give or take). But if you do the math an air raid qb will throw 4-5 tds in that game as well which is a 21-28 point gap just on strategy alone. It takes an ELITE secondary or D line to stop a “properly functioning” air raid attack.

UT has the horses in the barn to be an air raid offense if Pruitt chose to be. But that’s not his style. Therefore in his opinion JG is our best chance to win WITHIN HIS style. It by no means means that JG is the most talented. That’s where a lot of people are getting confused. JGs playing style just fits Pruitts style of play the best.

That’s probably a better question for KTown tbh. When one stat works for his narrative he uses that one. When the other works better he switches up. Only he can tell you why.

Because that stat tells us is exactly who JG is, an average passer who protects the ball at an above-average level.
About the best description I've heard of JG's ability. The problem with that is, IMO he's not the type to take control in big games.

I really, really want to be wrong about that Saturday.

I don’t know about y’all, but I could care less about this STAT and don’t really follow exactly what it’s supposed to mean. The only thing I care about is what I see during the game. Don’t need a STAT to form an opinion on what you see yourself from his on the field play.

He's had only two dropped passes in two games. He's had none on balls that traveled more than 10 yards.

Name the plays where guys ran the wrong routes or games where they haven't gotten open.
One for sure in Missouri game Hyatt didn't run the fade route he was supposed to. As soon as he came to sidelines Coach was in his ear. It was to the left sideline and it came on a drive we didn't score on. By the way he led 6 drives 5 TDS 1 Missec FG not to bad for struggling QB.

To all the JG apologist...this is damning. He has significantly more experience than any other sec qb. Not to mention the best offensive line in the conference, great skill wrs, and a really proven oc. So disappointing that Pruitt won’t even consider opening up a competition for the spot. It’s his greatest shortcoming as a head coach thus far

BS

LOL... like any stat that demonstrates why JG has been ineffective as a passer, right?

UT finally has a dominant run game and JG manages it well. But the weaknesses in his passing game are not gone. They're still a significant liability.
No, any stat this one is B.S. He can be dinged for a lot but B.S. stats based off someones eyeball test concerning accuracy are trash. You cannot seriously believe that stat is accurate. I am not a die-hard JG supporter but using stats like this is just foolish.

No, any stat this one is B.S. He can be dinged for a lot but B.S. stats based off someones eyeball test concerning accuracy are trash. You cannot seriously believe that stat is accurate. I am not a die-hard JG supporter but using stats like this is just foolish.
Right. Because a qualified observer cannot possibly be very objective about what is an accurate vs inaccurate pass, right? This is something that is tracked. Teams understand that accuracy is important and especially when some opponents happen to be able to cover tighter than others.

No. This isn't "foolish". It tells part of the story with JG. It is a measure in part of being late and behind receivers.

One for sure in Missouri game Hyatt didn't run the fade route he was supposed to. As soon as he came to sidelines Coach was in his ear. It was to the left sideline and it came on a drive we didn't score on. By the way he led 6 drives 5 TDS 1 Missec FG not to bad for struggling QB.
UT didn't have 200 yds passing vs Mizzou and dominated them on the ground. I've given JG a ton of credit for managing the run game well. That's no small thing. But he has not thrown the ball well compared to other SEC QB's. He's a liability.

FWIW, you really don't know what the coach got in his ear about. It could have been a missed blocking assignment. It wouldn't be surprising if a true Fr was off on a route... but are you really trying to blame the receivers for the majority of this problem when you have a QB who was about the same last year with experienced receivers?

VN Store

Back