Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the reason why Barron Trump is already 8 feet tall. 6'2" Trump + 5'11" Melania + a healthy dose of optimized nutrition and HGH.
Plus he has the same name as my childhood dog. He has everything going for him. Except my dog spelled his name correctly.

Looks like we found the female Dan Wolken, and it isn't a pretty image. She doesn't think highly of the SEC but definitely does think very highly of herself.

For decades, the Big Ten has thought of itself as a different kind of sports conference, one that proudly touts the academic achievements and Great Lakes values of its like-minded, highly-regarded, internationally-ranked research institutions. The Big Ten wasn’t the SEC; it wasn’t the Big 12. It was better than that, and it was happy to tell you all about it.
As proof, one only had to look at the conference’s prudent August decision to shut down fall sports in the midst of the global pandemic. It was only natural that the Big Ten would follow the Ivy League, and that the Pac-12 would follow the Big Ten. It was a tough decision, heartbreaking and costly, but it was the right one.
That’s the Big Ten for you, concerned about science, medicine and safety. Let the football factories of the SEC, Big 12 and ACC (Clemson’s playground) continue playing; the Big Ten was doing the right thing looking out for its student-athletes, treating them almost no differently than the student body at large, and that was all that mattered.

Then came Wednesday, the darkest day in Big Ten sports history, the day the vaunted conference caved. It choked. It got scared. It became the SEC.

And she manages to blame Nebraska and the president specifically along the way for good measure.

This is the Nebraska-ization of the Big Ten. Who would have thought that when Nebraska and Ohio State and a few of the league’s other squeakiest wheels started whining about missing out on football, the Big Ten presidents would buckle rather than stand up to them?

Or, we could call it the Trumpeting of the Big Ten. It was just two weeks ago that Trump, desperate to win votes in Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania, told the conference to play football. Originally, the league stood its ground. Rutgers president Jonathan Holloway aptly called it “cheap politics.” But wouldn’t you know, the university presidents ended up following right along, giving Trump exactly what he wanted.

Well, I do agree with her on something.

While much of the blame for the awful about-face goes to the university presidents who chose money and football over sanity and caution, new Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren also contributed greatly to this public relations nightmare. This is a man who clearly is in way over his head. The poor guy was outmaneuvered by a few loud-mouth football coaches, for heaven’s sake. No matter how he explains it, it’s clear that he and the league flip-flopped so Ohio State can try to win a national title and the league can still make lots of money off the backs of 18-to-22-year-olds in the middle of a pandemic.

Big Ten football decision marks darkest day in conference's history
Thanks for pasting this tripe so we don’t have to click on it and can rightly mock it without her profiting

Last edited:
Oh, she is definitely an elitist.

I never would have expected the Big Ten presidents to be so shaky, so fearful, so afraid of their own shadow. I grew up in Big Ten country, in the suburbs of Toledo, Ohio, in a family that spent fall Saturdays at Michigan games. I went to Northwestern University, where I received undergraduate and master’s degrees. I’m still very involved at NU to this day; in addition to being a professor of practice at the Medill School of Journalism, I’m a member of Northwestern’s 64-person board of trustees.
No doubt she eats her organic veggie tofu rolls with ethnic bio friendly cutlery

It’s unbelievable to me that some people that post on here will go out of their way to question when Atlanta Vol posts something. The scroll button works fine last time I used it, (it worked fine when I just used it). He, nor does anyone else has to validate a da*n thing here. We’re all anonymous here.
So not defending him or attacking you. @ACvol3 has been doing that for years with anyone who gives the appearance of an insider. It’s part of his posting style, like catbone and his negativity. To be fair, probably between 70-90% of insiders are fake. He happens to think they all are.

Looks like we found the female Dan Wolken, and it isn't a pretty image. She doesn't think highly of the SEC but definitely does think very highly of herself.

For decades, the Big Ten has thought of itself as a different kind of sports conference, one that proudly touts the academic achievements and Great Lakes values of its like-minded, highly-regarded, internationally-ranked research institutions. The Big Ten wasn’t the SEC; it wasn’t the Big 12. It was better than that, and it was happy to tell you all about it.
As proof, one only had to look at the conference’s prudent August decision to shut down fall sports in the midst of the global pandemic. It was only natural that the Big Ten would follow the Ivy League, and that the Pac-12 would follow the Big Ten. It was a tough decision, heartbreaking and costly, but it was the right one.
That’s the Big Ten for you, concerned about science, medicine and safety. Let the football factories of the SEC, Big 12 and ACC (Clemson’s playground) continue playing; the Big Ten was doing the right thing looking out for its student-athletes, treating them almost no differently than the student body at large, and that was all that mattered.

Then came Wednesday, the darkest day in Big Ten sports history, the day the vaunted conference caved. It choked. It got scared. It became the SEC.

And she manages to blame Nebraska and the president specifically along the way for good measure.

This is the Nebraska-ization of the Big Ten. Who would have thought that when Nebraska and Ohio State and a few of the league’s other squeakiest wheels started whining about missing out on football, the Big Ten presidents would buckle rather than stand up to them?

Or, we could call it the Trumpeting of the Big Ten. It was just two weeks ago that Trump, desperate to win votes in Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania, told the conference to play football. Originally, the league stood its ground. Rutgers president Jonathan Holloway aptly called it “cheap politics.” But wouldn’t you know, the university presidents ended up following right along, giving Trump exactly what he wanted.

Well, I do agree with her on something.

While much of the blame for the awful about-face goes to the university presidents who chose money and football over sanity and caution, new Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren also contributed greatly to this public relations nightmare. This is a man who clearly is in way over his head. The poor guy was outmaneuvered by a few loud-mouth football coaches, for heaven’s sake. No matter how he explains it, it’s clear that he and the league flip-flopped so Ohio State can try to win a national title and the league can still make lots of money off the backs of 18-to-22-year-olds in the middle of a pandemic.

Big Ten football decision marks darkest day in conference's history
😂😂😂

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
USCjr going with a injury prone grad transfer QB is an interesting choice. Will Friend should be familiar with him as he was there when he was recruited and his first couple of years. Jimmy Brumbaugh should help come up with a defensive plan as Hill was still healthy when Colorado played Colorado St last year.

It might be subtle but the sentence "poor guy got outmaneuvered by a few loud-mouth football coaches, for heaven's sake" just makes her sentiment and elitism crystal clear. She basically just said how did the Big10 commissioner get out smarted by these idiots running around in loin cloths hitting people with clubs as of football is so beneath her ideal society. What a joke of a "journalist" that wants so badly to portray that she is smarter than the peons in society. When in fact she is portraying exactly what is destroying, not enlightening, society these days: lack of civil discourse.
Right!

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Zuckerberg is the one nouveau billionaire I would love to see become a pauper.
He could lose 99.999% of his wealth/equity and still be just above a millionaire (literally). Even the standard "keep 1-10% in cash" advice would leave him absurdly rich, in the billions. Just can't see it happening like it does to athletes.

But I do hope he does like Buffett and Gates and commits most of his wealth to charity posthumously. I think that's a great trend to both give to good causes and give your heirs the impetus to build their own value and wealth. The world doesn't really need more trust fund babies.

Don't the test results take a few days, at least? Last I heard UT had 5 day tests, but hopefully we are faster now.

Bigger issue is you likely won't test positive for the first 4 days. I've heard day 5-7 after infection is prime time for testing. Which is probably why CDC says 10 days of quarantine, with results lag.

Agree 2-3 weeks is nuts.
The way I understood that was if you had the virus you had to go 3 weeks after you were well. I don't know, the contact tracing is nuts and like many have said if you're not positive after 5 days you should be good to go.

USCjr going with a injury prone grad transfer QB is an interesting choice. Will Friend should be familiar with him as he was there when he was recruited and his first couple of years. Jimmy Brumbaugh should help come up with a defensive plan as Hill was still healthy when Colorado played Colorado St last year.
GO FOR DA KNEES

Our luck...injured in 3rd Quarter with us up 14 only for Hilinkski to come in and they win by 3. Called it here first @Catbone

Hilinski was not good at all last year. Nearly the bottom of the league in QBR, beating only Plumlee, another FR. Bring em on. I would be more afraid of Doty tbh.

Last edited:
Hes mentioned ties to coaches and has the ability to talk to coaches fairly regularly. Imo hes a former player, ive always sorta thought ATL is either where hes from or where he lives now. We just need to find a list of all Vols from Atlanta that played with and under Fulmer and go from there.
He’s not a former player. He explains his ties to the university in the Trevor Lawrence thread

He could lose 99.999% of his wealth/equity and still be just above a millionaire (literally). Even the standard "keep 1-10% in cash" advice would leave him absurdly rich, in the billions. Just can't see it happening like it does to athletes.

But I do hope he does like Buffett and Gates and commits most of his wealth to charity posthumously. I think that's a great trend to both give to good causes and give your heirs the impetus to build their own value and wealth. The world doesn't really need more trust fund babies.
I think you do the world more good by investing in profitable enterprise than by giving to charities.

By the way, Zuckerberg would have an awfully lumpy mattress.

Last edited:
I think you do the world more good by investing in profitable enterprise than by giving to charities.
If something is already profitable, does it really need that much help to inject new capital when there is already a huge primary market for equity/debt funding? Or maybe you mean through like angel/VC funding?

Helpful as well, but charities too can drive enterprise, in the sorts these guys back. Not just talking typical Meals on Wheels type charity, which is great too, but they are trying to fix huge problems through entrepreneurship, such as grants for inventors to find more efficient, useful toilet/sewage systems in Africa, where it is a major problem with clean water.

All to say, "charities" can spur a ton of innovation, growth, and jobs as well. And do a ton of great for huge swaths of people.

Last edited:
Reactions: bparker
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back