Who will be the qb this year?

You would see me criticize him if that were the subject matter but it’s not. I can tell you where he struggles and his weaknesses as well but I’ve never been asked. The subject matter is 2 tds 5 ints in limited time of 4 starts. Maybe you’re right and I can’t see it from a fans perspective because the stats are being used against him in terms of overall talent and that’s simply not true. I actually evaluate qbs performances so it comes naturally to me to Not just look at the stats. Stats mean nothing to me next to film and no matter who it is, Maurer or otherwise, I won’t result to “stats” to tell me who performed better because there are way too many other variables involved.
Name 1 good QB who historically put up bad stats. Sports have always been about stats and always will, only folks whose stats suck or coaches who suck at getting his players to perform say they don't pay much attention to stats.

Reactions: lexkyvol
When did our roster get so good that we can still finish with a winning record vs SEC competition even though we are playing with a backup QB type talent as our starting QB?Its lunacy to call our starting QB nothing but a backup when we win 5 games in this conference. He's proven he can win football games in this conference, he's proven he can win SEC road games vs ranked competition, he's helped end our losing vs SEC West opponents. The ONLY thing JG hasn't done or beat is Al, Ga and Fl and that is more indicative of our overall roster and team talent than it is the play of our QB. I also believe that changes this year and both JG and Coach Pruitt get that elusive win vs the big3. I can send you a long list of QB names at UT that never beat those 3, JG may end up on it, then again all of that could change this season alone.
My post was in reference to Josh Dobbs and his role in the NFL

Name 1 good QB who historically put up bad stats. Sports have always been about stats and always will, only folks whose stats suck or coaches who suck at getting his players to perform say they don't pay much attention to stats.
Dak Prescott 2017. Stats were bad but HE wasn’t. He needed weapons he didn’t think he needed when they cut Dez. After half the season went by they signed Amari Cooper and he got much better.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Casey Clausen Jr year
194/310 62.6% 2297 yds 7.4 ypa 11tds 7ints 132 qb rating.

JG Jr year
152/257 59.1% 2158 yds 8.4 ypa 16tds 8 ints 144 qb rating

Looks like you can compare them to me. JG had a better Jr year

You can't compare talent around as CC had a team full of NFL players.
JG played on an offense last year with two WR draftees, an NFL TE, and an OL with several guys that will be in the NFL. Your continued excuses duly noted.

The O CC led scored 400 points. He was the unquestioned starter. Not surprisingly, you attempted to parse the stats... again. That was a DOWN year for CC... nested between two seasons in which he threw for over 2900 yds.

Recruiters don't pay much attention to stats.. scouts... see Jordan Loves down year..... those that trust and love with stat like you end up with Ryan Leaf types because you ignore the context of those stats... someone in the recruiting biz would know that.... also JGs high school stats were not great... so why did he make it to an SEC school.... had to be something they SAW....

Reactions: 1vol8
Probably has more to do with Chaney limiting the playbook when he comes off the bench. Look at the number of passing attempts he is allowed in those games.
He works hard, has redeemed himself by helping us win some games, pretty good dude, but not ready to be QB1 of UT and kinda got there by default.

Recruiters don't pay much attention to stats.. scouts... see Jordan Loves down year..... those that trust and love with stat like you end up with Ryan Leaf types because you ignore the context of those stats... someone in the recruiting biz would know that.... also JGs high school stats were not great... so why did he make it to an SEC school.... had to be something they SAW....

If you go back and watch his high school film, he actually had the ability to throw a receiver open back then. The uptick in college game speed seems to be something he's never been able to adjust to, and most likely won't at this point in his career.

Reactions: whodeycin85
Stats have a place in sports... but sports aren't just about stats.

FTR, Tee Martin was a career 55% passer. He never threw for more than 2317 yds and threw 16 INT's against 32 TD's in his career. His "stat lines" were mediocre. He was 22-3 as a starter and leader of the offense. I will take what he brought to the table a billion times over what we've seen from JG.

If JG had learned to read quickly enough to just throw balls away as a RS Fr... UT may have won a couple more games. USCe was winnable for sure. But instead, he took sacks. That and checking down after missing reads downfield made his stat line look "great"... while the O averaged less than 20 ppg behind his "great stats". I would have LOVED 2 more wins vs his higher completion %.

I'll be glad when JG moves on so I dont have to read all the JG debate threads anymore. It never ends
Hate to say it... but there's no guarantee it won't be someone else next year. Someone really needs to come in and grab the reigns or else we'll still be debating HB, BM, Shrout, and Salter.

Hate to say it... but there's no guarantee it won't be someone else next year. Someone really needs to come in and grab the reigns or else we'll still be debating HB, BM, Shrout, and Salter.

This staff is going to have to show that they can develop an SEC-level QB. You can recruit all the high school talent that you can get, but if you can't take that talent from the high school level to the DI level, then it's all for nothing.

This staff is going to have to show that they can develop an SEC-level QB. You can recruit all the high school talent that you can get, but if you can't take that talent from the high school level to the DI level, then it's all for nothing.
I like the staff. I like Chaney a lot. I like Weinke. I wish they had inherited a better situation at QB.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I like the staff. I like Chaney a lot. I like Weinke. I wish they had inherited a better situation at QB.

If they can't turn Shrout, Maurer, or Bailey into a functional DI QB, then I don't know how much hope there is for them collectively.

We aren't winning the East, much less the SEC as a whole without top notch QB play.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Stats have a place in sports... but sports aren't just about stats.

FTR, Tee Martin was a career 55% passer. He never threw for more than 2317 yds and threw 16 INT's against 32 TD's in his career. His "stat lines" were mediocre. He was 22-3 as a starter and leader of the offense. I will take what he brought to the table a billion times over what we've seen from JG.

If JG had learned to read quickly enough to just throw balls away as a RS Fr... UT may have won a couple more games. USCe was winnable for sure. But instead, he took sacks. That and checking down after missing reads downfield made his stat line look "great"... while the O averaged less than 20 ppg behind his "great stats". I would have LOVED 2 more wins vs his higher completion %.
Even in that USCe game they had a chance to win that was dropped by Brandon Johnson (tough catch, tough throw, bad play call). You keep blaming him, but that offensive line was maybe the worst in UT history. He didn't help them by holding it too long, but he consistently didn't have any time to throw. You keep claiming people are saying he had great stats or something, and you are just looking silly because no one is saying that. Me and several others are just pointing out he had better stats than anyone else on his team's including Dormady, Chryst, Maurer, and Shrout. You brought up Tee Martin, but you have to see that JG hasn't been surrounded by the talent that Tee was on both sides of the ball. Plus, Tee wasn't a fantastic QB, but he was very clutch, which certainly matters.

You mentioned JG hasn't lived up to the standard for a UT QB, but who else has while he's been here (other than Dobbs, but JG didn't even play that year) ? Our QB situation has been a mess for several years, but he's the only one that's put up even mediocre stats. Doesn't make him good, but it does make him the "best" we have to offer. Maybe one of the others this year can change that, but he's our starting QB until otherwise noted.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back