The Jarrett Guarantano hate

against Chattanooga this week would be a good time to get the back-up QB's in for some experience and
at possibly starting some Saturday in the future. JG can take some hard hits in the pocket, shows toughness
but he needs to play the position better as Greg McElroy said.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
it's not hate. It's frustration over a series of regimes that constantly neglect the most important position on the offense. How many seasons can you go without a viable back up at the position?

Trying to remember....... in the past 3 years, how many times have we been able to pull the starters and let loose the backups?
I know last year we played Chryst very little unless Guarantano got hurt, and no one else. I miss the cupcake games where we would see the second team shortly after halftime.

I don't think Mr. Guarantano "sucks" and I certainly don't hate him. Nobody should hate him. He seems like a good kid (man---whatever) who is doing the best he can.

I don't think his physical abilities are holding him back. He's obviously tough as nails and has decent arm strength and adequate accuracy to perform in D1.

To me, his issue is slow perceptual processing. I am, for the record, distinguishing between being mentally "slow" and perceiving and reacting slowly. Some folks have "fast twitch" processing. Some folks are slower. Quarterbacks need to perceive and react quickly to maximize their physical abilities. Josh Dobbs wasn't the most talented thrower, but he perceived the field and reacted quickly. Nate Peterman, to me, appeared very slow and it minimized the physical tools he had as a thrower (good enough to get to the NFL for a while). No college offensive line is going to provide JG the time he had in high school and I'm not sure you can really speed up perceptual processing though Peterman seemed to get "quicker" at Pitt.

Bigger problem: While the second string QB is almost always the most popular player with the fans. We don't have a clue who that is or what he brings to the table. Putting JG on the sideline will require a giant leap of faith by a coaching staff already under public fire. It's all about risk, reward and guts at this point. It would be nice if we (the fans) could get off of Pruitt's backside and let his recruiting and development play out for more than a season and 2 games.

I think he'll stick with him because he doesn't know what to do, and it'll cost his job.
Good call! Lol! What a joke.

Edit: Sorry joevol, that was bad form as I've never considered you a NegaVol, I should not have remarked on you there.

Last edited:
I want to see if he has the courage to make the right personnel moves to save himself. I am not ready to blame him completely for the mess he inherited.

I wouldn't have said this previously but if he doesn't make a change at QB... I'm not sure he sees a year 3.
Lol, I guess his decision to play BM saved his job in your opinion.

If the choice at this point is between a staff with multiple NC's, conference championships, and great players or a QB who has proven repeatedly that he can't get it done and young players who are making too many mistakes... I stick with it being a player issue. If nothing happens and guys don't improve by the end of the season... then I might agree with you.

But UT just lost two games that they would have won with even "good" QB play. Jones and his staff coached to stay low risk with JG's decision making in the hopes he would come around. Helton did the same. Chaney tried to stretch him but it appears way too apparent that JG just can't do it.

IMHO, Pruitt's call on his starting QB right now will determine his fate. If the other two really and truly cannot do better given playing time.... then Pruitt is screwed.
Hehe, Pruitt seems to be the exact opposite of being screwed, another great call by you.

Good call! Lol! What a joke.
In everyone else’s defense you’re quoting people the week following losses to Ga State and BYU. Not a lot of positive thinking going on then. Now JG may have not lost the games on his own because it takes 24 guys to do that, but he played a pretty good sized part in it.

Reactions: berryvol
In everyone else’s defense you’re quoting people the week following losses to Ga State and BYU. Now JG may have not lost the games on his own because it takes 24 guys to do that, but he played a pretty good sized part in it.
You can go back 2 seasons ago and this guy was spewing the same crap.

It dumbfounds me that people get offended by other opinions about a starting QB on a Tennessee football forum. Just because I have never played QB at the SEC level, does not mean I can't see the product on the field. I've seen no one criticize his character or devotion to the team, only his play. Performance, or lack thereof, is a fair topic on a football forum.

You can go back 2 seasons ago and this guy was spewing the same crap.
I don’t think it was without to not see where CJP was headed last year. We were 1-4 and JG made some real head scratcher plays last season. He also made some great plays last season that helped us win games. I know you’re a JG guy and you want him to succeed . I want him to succeed. I think if JG is going to be the guy this year we should all be hoping like hell he’s gonna take the reigns and lead the offense to new levels. I don’t think it’s beyond reason for people to have been upset with JG and CJP at that point last season, and I think there’s a reason the big question of the offseason is the QB position. From all accounts of what Pruitt, Tee, Weinke and Cheney have said JG is allowing the game to slowdown for him. We all just want to see him put it together. I’m rooting for him and we all should be come 9/26 when he’s behind Center, but there’s some baggage.

Also @joevol33 is good people. You’ll never find a bigger UT/UGA fan. Instead of a house divided license plate, it says “Self Divided”. He’s like Cybil of Volnation 😁

Last edited:
2017 loss by 18 to vandy. 14/22. 183 yards 2/1
2018 loss by 25 to vandy. 13/29. 149. 1/1
2019 win by 18 beat vandy. 6/17. 120 1/1

So 3 years. 1-2 vs Vandy.
33/68. 48.5% 442 yards. 4 td 3 ints...

Top level sec qb

I don’t think it was without to not see where CJP was headed last year. We were 1-4 and JG made some real head scratcher plays last season. He also made some great plays last season that helped us win games. I know you’re a JG guy and you want him to succeed . I want him to succeed. I think if JG is going to be the guy this year we should all be hoping like hell he’s gonna take the reigns and lead the offense to new levels. I don’t think it’s beyond reason for people to have been upset with JG and CJP at that point last season, and I think there’s a reason the big question of the offseason is the QB position. From all accounts of what Pruitt, Tee, Weinke and Cheney have said JG is allowing the game to slowdown for him. We all just want to see him put it together. I’m rooting for him and we all should be come 9/26 when he’s behind Center, but there’s some baggage.

Also Joe’s good people. You’ll never find a bigger UT/UGA fan. Instead of a house divided license plate, it says “Self Divided”. He’s like Cybil of Volnation 😁
I agree. I also probably shouldn't have sniped at Joe, he's good people, sorry Joe.

Sorry, I probably sniped a couple of fans I shouldn't have.

I don't care about the other jabronies; if you harm one hair on joe's head...

ResponsibleFeminineGoldenmantledgroundsquirrel-small.gif

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
If your game plan has to change in order to keep your QB from making reads and throwing the ball....you need a new QB....that’s kind of the point of the position
Correct. All should remember what was very recently said by Chaney/Pruitt/Weinke when they talked about Guarantano doing much better last year once they “dumbed down” the game plan and have him the same game plan once he went back into games as Shrout and Maurer. In other words, a 4th year junior couldn’t handle a “full scale, complicated” game plan, and only had success when working and trying to execute the same game plans given to freshmen when they were in the game. Obviously, that made the offense far less multiple and far more predictable.

Correct. All should remember what was very recently said by Chaney/Pruitt/Weinke when they talked about Guarantano doing much better last year once they “dumbed down” the game plan and have him the same game plan once he went back into games as Shrout and Maurer. In other words, a 4th year junior couldn’t handle a “full scale, complicated” game plan, and only had success when working and trying to execute the same game plans given to freshmen when they were in the game. Obviously, that made the offense far less multiple and far more predictable.
What worried me was JG himself said his focus this offseason Was footwork....why not accuracy or anticipation ????

2017 loss by 18 to vandy. 14/22. 183 yards 2/1
2018 loss by 25 to vandy. 13/29. 149. 1/1
2019 win by 18 beat vandy. 6/17. 120 1/1

So 3 years. 1-2 vs Vandy.
33/68. 48.5% 442 yards. 4 td 3 ints...

Top level sec qb
I've asked you the same as all the other neverJGers the same question and not one of you has shown me one example. Show me 1 QB where their team won more games than they lost when the team had the worst offensive and defensive lines within their conference. It has likely NEVER happened at ANY level of football and it likely never will. You're a football genius, show me a few examples of when a QB has overcome those odds.
Every bad stat you throw out I can throw good ones right back. What's his record and stats vs Ky and Auburn the last 2 seasons. You see, the way stats work are the fact that they take into account all bad and good games.

While he was a 4th year junior, it was his first year in Chaney's offense. So in some ways, he was on the same level as Maurer and Shrout. If we're looking for reasons for optimism, hopefully JG, in his 2nd year in the system, will think, anticipate, and act more quickly...as he did when the offense was "dumbed down" last year.

Reactions: FïreBall
What worried me was JG himself said his focus this offseason Was footwork....why not accuracy or anticipation ????
Because footwork is one of the key factors in determining both of those things. Consistent footwork generally improves accuracy. Consistent footwork also improves a quarterbacks ability to read the field. If a quarterback is able to do to effortless get his feat right then he is able to read the field better, if he is able to read the field better then he will anticipate better. It’s all connected. I didn’t play past high school but I’m utterly obsessed and in love with football so I like to consider myself fairly knowledgeable on certain offensive principles. Maybe I’m not who knows🤔

Because footwork is one of the key factors in determining both of those things. Consistent footwork generally improves accuracy. Consistent footwork also improves a quarterbacks ability to read the field. If a quarterback is able to do to effortless get his feat right then he is able to read the field better, if he is able to read the field better then he will anticipate better. It’s all connected. I didn’t play past high school but I’m utterly obsessed and in love with football so I like to consider myself fairly knowledgeable on certain offensive principles. Maybe I’m not who knows🤔
Yea it all plays a part..i get that. I did play past high school. Those drills do help but unless he was putting it all together throwing routes as well...it wont improve throw just before a wr makes a cut, or throwing to a spot where the wr is supposed to be as opposed to where he is....

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back