Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
2020 Kentucky Offensive Line -

Weā€™ve heard much about the presumed awesomeness of the Kentucky offensive line coming into this year so I wanted to take a closer look. I think the first thing to keep in focus is that last year, the year that the UK offensive line made a name for itself just happened to be the year Stoops was forced to innovate due to the lack of a quarterback after Wilson got hurt.

Lynn Bowden was a phenomenal athlete and was extremely creative. He was often a one-man show for their offense once he took over. Defenses had to account for him running the ball on every play. He delivered big time. From a creative standpoint and an athletic standpoint I sort of think of him a bit like Josh Dobbs. From my perspective Dobbs never had much of an offensive line when he was here. Much of what Dobbs was able to do in the run game he did all on his own and to some extent I think the same was true with Bowden. jmo.

Kentucky actually played 3 guys at QB last year, Wilson, Sawyer, and Bowden. So Iā€™m expecting their run game to look pretty good, mostly because their leading rusher was, far and away, Bowden. Sure enough according to Football Outsiders their line yards was 18th best in the country. On standard downs they were ranked at #40 but on passing downs because they couldnā€™t pass the ball their line yards was 5th best. Is that good? Well, not so fast. First they often didnā€™t have the option to pass and second there is this metric call power success rate we should consider.

The power success rate is the percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Kentucky ranked 78th in the country and 9th in the conference for 3rd down conversions on 162 attempts. We ranked 34th in the nation and 3rd in the conference on 176 attempts. For power success rate Kentucky ranked #121 and we ranked #50.

So Kentucky never tried to pass the ball right? We threw the ball 360 times last year and Kentuckyā€™s QBs threw the ball 257 times, coincidentally the same exact number of pass attempts that Guarantano logged. So how was their pass blocking?

Our best indicator is probably the sack rate from Football Outsiders. On standard downs weā€™re not really expecting Kentucky to try to throw the ball much, not last year, not with Bowden. Thatā€™s not his strength. Sure enough their overall sack rate is 63rd best in the nation owing to being #1 in the nation on standard downs. Our overall sack rate was ranked at #39 and on standard downs we were at #47. Okay, but Kentucky did throw the ball, again, just as many times as Guarantano threw the ball for the whole year. So how was their pass protection on passing downs? Their passing downs sack rate was #104 in the nation; ours was at #40.

I expect Kentucky to have a decent offensive line this year owing to having the 7th most talented in the conference and those guys having significant experience, however, their talent is not in the Alabama or Tennessee league and so I conclude that, owing to their known deficiencies and lesser talent, the Kentucky offensive line is being wildly overhyped and for good measure Iā€™ll repeat something I posted weeks ago. Last year Kentucky and Tennessee had 7 common opponents including each other. They won 2 and lost 5; we won 5 and lost 2. Iā€™m not buying any of the hype on Kentucky, not with regards to how I think they will perform against teams in the top half of the conference this year. Against those teams, including us, theyā€™re most likely to go winless as per usual. jmo.

I hesitated to provide an update on Drew. I donā€™t know why. I think because I was utterly rattled yesterday. I fasted all day and have never spent so much time in prayer. But seeing folks with the hashtag touched me. Here goes...

Drew had a 4-hr surgery on his spine and brain yesterday evening and afternoon. They sampled the tumor and installed a shunt to redirect the fluid buildup. We will wait for the pathology report, but early indications are not good. It appears to be in an extensive malignant process and a lot of spinal tumors are hard to operate on, and this type may not respond to chemo.

He was a shook little boy yesterday, but after he knocked the anaesthesia hangover, he told his dad that he believed God was bringing him closer to Him. How amazing is THAT! He has made a profession of faith, for that I rejoice.
This is the little boy you guys are praying for (taken two years ago in Neyland)...
View attachment 300902
šŸ§”#LiftUpDrewšŸ§”
God bless you and your family, brother. Pray without ceasing because with God all things are possible. Praying for a miracle with this young man

I hesitated to provide an update on Drew. I donā€™t know why. I think because I was utterly rattled yesterday. I fasted all day and have never spent so much time in prayer. But seeing folks with the hashtag touched me. Here goes...

Drew had a 4-hr surgery on his spine and brain yesterday evening and afternoon. They sampled the tumor and installed a shunt to redirect the fluid buildup. We will wait for the pathology report, but early indications are not good. It appears to be in an extensive malignant process and a lot of spinal tumors are hard to operate on, and this type may not respond to chemo.

He was a shook little boy yesterday, but after he knocked the anaesthesia hangover, he told his dad that he believed God was bringing him closer to Him. How amazing is THAT! He has made a profession of faith, for that I rejoice.
This is the little boy you guys are praying for (taken two years ago in Neyland)...
View attachment 300902
šŸ§”#LiftUpDrewšŸ§”

Continual Prayers for Drew and the entire family!

Thanks. Doing much better. Just got results today from my colonoscopy and endoscopy and they were clean other than a bacteria. I was concerned about it because Iā€™ve have had minor stomach issues for a few years and with my prostate cancer I was paranoid I guess.

Already had the other test results that the cancer hadnā€™t spread. I have surgery to remove my prostate on Monday. Now Iā€™m paranoid Iā€™m gonna get Covid, in which case they wouldnā€™t do the surgery.

I really appreciate your thoughts, prayers, and asking about it.
Great news! Definitely will pray it continues

Last edited:

View attachment 300902
šŸ§”#LiftUpDrewšŸ§”
Praying and praying! Such an awesome young man!

Doc you woke up on fire this morning!

<than 4 hours sleep due to a sick dog. Donā€™t mind losing the sleep for a loved one. Does kinda peel off any gentle encouragement. Just gotta let my VFL flow (itā€™s more powerful than the Force in Star Wars)

Tonight, I actually got almost 5 hours sleep, so I feel rested...šŸ¤”8E2154BC-6644-452A-A6E0-1FB69A2B3E9C.gif71D3A2D6-B0F6-499E-A7B4-D94E3F78ABC0.gifFEF6AEC9-706A-4EC4-BDE3-9D7F55498EB4.gif

10-0, 10-0, or 10-0 will be the record this year.

Anything less than 10-0 is disappointing. 10-0 is expected. 10-0 is very good

Why I gotta keep fixing your posts? Ainā€™t you been paying attention?
Get with the program. Thereā€™s a new culture now. Decade of the Vols! This ainā€™t no CBJ expectations team and attitude.

Last edited:
He might actually be better without fans there.
Just tell him that itā€™s practice. Tennessee is going all out to simulate a game... even with the opponent jerseys, but itā€™s still just practice...he lights it up, wins a Heisman, undefeated season, then tell him the truth. šŸ˜Ž

Last edited:

View attachment 300902
šŸ§”#LiftUpDrewšŸ§”
We will continue to keep Drew in our prayers, EV. As a dad, this is tough, but it strengthens me and increases my faith to see his response. Fight on, young man!!
#LiftUpDrew# ā¤ļøšŸ™šŸ»šŸ‘†šŸ»

Are the full bands allowed to be there?
Pride of the Southland playing Rocky Top will still sound impressive to us and also ominous to the Opponent because no real crowd noise to block it.
Time for ALL of our opponents to hate and fear hearing Rocky Top. Means that we are effing kicking their asses!
Pep band only. No vol walk no March to the stadium. No pre game. no halftime show.

Sheā€™d been cleaning the house snd felt like she needed to sit down, within a couple of minutes was up to 96.

They did a chest X-ray. Kept her for 2 hours on pulse-ox monitor then released her. She has Covid pneumonia (viral but said not contagious) in both lungs - one not much. Gave her a spacer to go with her inhaler, new meds, prescription robitussen (sp), and told her if her resting pulse ox went below 90 for 5 minutes, she needs to come back to ER. Also put her on azithromycin because a bacterial infection can occur. She's tired but feeling better today.
Prayers for her that she continues to recover

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back