The SEC is trying to form a super-conference with the ACC and Big12

I like UT's odds here.

EfBdRo8XkAIz51K
We would dominate east.

Reactions: VOLED
Hence the reason you wait until late September or later before any games are scheduled. Still several weeks to pull the plug after students arrive back on campus and they see how it goes.

The SEC is going about this the right way. Will it work out in the end? I don't think so, but there's no point in pulling the plug now. I'm shocked that the Big Ten has seemingly been so influenced by the MAC's decision to cancel.

The SEC is going about this the right way. Will it work out in the end? I don't think so, but there's no point in pulling the plug now. I'm shocked that the Big Ten has seemingly been so influenced by the MAC's decision to cancel.
It’s weird how things suddenly got urgent. Can’t figure out why other conferences didn’t push their season back the way the SEC did to buy time.

I am not sure you do
Well, antiviral vaccines boost some portion of your immune system, ie general increase in reaction to any antigen or specific aspects (b-cell, t-cell, antibody etc) viral vaccines (flu shot) introduce a piece of a ground up virus, denatured virus or seriously weakened virus to help your body produce antibodies. Either of these vaccines require a properly functioning immune system to be effective. The most at risk group for this virus are those with compromised immune systems. Good enough?

Why? I thought the goal was to play a conference only schedule? What does it matter what the other conferences are doing if you play a conference only schedule? I thought that was the entire point of it
You can rightly claim a NC if you have 3 conferences with the winners meeting in a playoff system. Best 2 from each conference In a 6 team playoff would generate a huge amount of money that is not shared with NCAA.

Well, antiviral vaccines boost some portion of your immune system, ie general increase in reaction to any antigen or specific aspects (b-cell, t-cell, antibody etc) viral vaccines (flu shot) introduce a piece of a ground up virus, denatured virus or seriously weakened virus to help your body produce antibodies. Either of these vaccines require a properly functioning immune system to be effective. The most at risk group for this virus are those with compromised immune systems. Good enough?
Kind of shallow on the details

It’s weird how things suddenly got urgent. Can’t figure out why other conferences didn’t push their season back the way the SEC did to buy time.

It's a Catch-22. If you start early you can build in more open dates in case games have go be rescheduled. If you start later you buy time to make a final decision but you reduce your flexibility.

“How did you go bankrupt?” Bill asked.
“Two ways,” Mike said. “Gradually and then suddenly.”

The Sun Also Rises -- Ernest Hemingway

This applies here as well as most situations. I don't think football happens this fall, but things are moving fast, finally. Something is happening. I just doubt it leads to much football before spring.

I hope we can play in the spring because things are better.

good quote

Also as a Public Health Official, one thing I will say as it applies to the danger of COVID is we have little idea what the long term impacts are versus say something like the flu. Tranmissability is also much higher. It appears that COVID also has the ability to trigger the onset of adjacent afflictions in certain populations like kids.

And if it ends up being bad, it could lead to massive liability lawsuits.

Now I've seen some politicians try to outlaw those, but really the best way to handle this is to take the proper precautions instead of trying to ban lawsuits which might actually be proper if mishandling occurs.
As a public health official still presumably with a job and regular paycheck, do you understand all of this "we need to be absolutely 100% certain no one will ever get infected by Covid-19" approach has destroyed people and will continue to do so until some reasonable balance is reached?

How much detail did you expect? I am not posting a thesis. If you can’t figure it out, do a little research. Or just keep believing what the media presents and stop having a life.
Well, many of the vaccine being developed for the prevention of Covid-19 are what Are known as RNA vaccines which are not grown in egg cells. There are no RNA vaccines currently in use or approved for use. That is why it takes months or years to develop safe and effective vaccines. Being a novel virus, vaccine trials for this virus are even more important. One does not yet know the efficacy of theses new vaccine or the duration of antibodies which may be produced by RNA vaccines. We all hope these vaccines will be safe and effective, but no one knows if they do until the new vaccines have been throughly tested.

As a public health official still presumably with a job and regular paycheck, do you understand all of this "we need to be absolutely 100% certain no one will ever get infected by Covid-19" approach has destroyed people and will continue to do so until some reasonable balance is reached?

Your presumption is wrong lol, I too was laid off (worked for a University after graduating the year before with my MPH). People are going to catch COVID yes. We do need to MINIMIZE spread though. Until a vaccine has been developed and administered.

There is a reason why other countries have done so well with this. Not everything is some big media conspiracy. Wear a damn mask, edit your routine a bit, and yes it will be inconvenient. Suck it up and deal with it for a bit and we will be better off in the long run.

Look I am clearly a sports fan as well. But sports are not that important in the grand scheme of a pandemic.

I wonder if the simple proximity of the conferences to each other (the MAC and Big Ten have very similar geographies) explains that. When another athletic conference in your same area, even if it isn't P5, makes a call that they can't play it might look bad that if you continue, because you're essentially saying "Well, they think it isn't safe for them to play but it's still safe for us to play." We all know that the MAC cancelled ultimately for what are financial reasons, but the optics still don't look good.

If, say, the Sun Belt had already cancelled their season, I bet the SEC would take notice.

Reactions: BisonVol
What would be the goal in doing this? "Saving the season" is nebulous. How would forming a "super-conference" save the season?

You can still have legit National Champion with 2 or more of the conferences participating.

The way things are going Nebraska could be part of the SEC or B12 by the end of the week!

Well, many of the vaccine being developed for the prevention of Covid-19 are what Are known as RNA vaccines which are not grown in egg cells. There are no RNA vaccines currently in use or approved for use. That is why it takes months or years to develop safe and effective vaccines. Being a novel virus, vaccine trials for this virus are even more important. One does not yet know the efficacy of theses new vaccine or the duration of antibodies which may be produced by RNA vaccines. We all hope these vaccines will be safe and effective, but no one knows if they do until the new vaccines have been throughly tested.
Again, any of these vaccines require a functioning immune system to work. If your immune system is compromised, the vaccine will not help that person. It will help those with a healthy immune system develop antibodies and differentiated t-cells quicker and make the infection cycle faster. The same mechanism as the flu shot. I really don't understand why it would matter to you if the origin of the virus components was egg cell incubation. With the destroyed virus, there is little chance for an infection.
Kudos for using RNA in your description. COVID-19 is an RNA virus. The little bugger likes to reprogram your bodies DNA to make replicates of itself. Kinda creepy, yeah?

VN Store

Back