Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

Not a HC fan by any means, but I doubt she would have disbanded the Pandemic response team.
It would not have mattered either way. Regardless of what she chose, it would be hailed as brilliant leadership.

FTR, I'm not a Trump supporter. I have A LOT of problems with the guys character and still do not believe in his commitment to conservative principles. The idea that his SCOTUS picks were "better than what HC would have done" is no comfort at all when you have two unreliable pragmatists replacing Scalia. I get how people might "feel good" when he slams opponents... but that's not leadership. Leadership is convincing opponents to support your ideas. I'm done voting for the "lesser evil" without regard to how evil they are. He has a TON of work to win my vote... if it is still possible. I will likely vote 3rd party again for President.

All that said, the left wing narrative driven media IS a direct threat to our nation. Reporting the facts even when they are inconvenient to your personal views is journalism. Reporting only the facts that support the narrative you support... is PROPAGANDA. We have VERY little journalism left in the major media outlets. The real journalism... is coming from "non-professional" bloggers et al who weren't indoctrinated by university journalism schools.

Reactions: 825VOL
If you saw this morning the Cardinals became the third MLB team to have a large outbreak of Covid in just the FIRST week of MLB starting its abbreviated season. This is obviously not good news seeing that baseball is a non-contact sport where players are naturally "distanced" from one another while on the field.

Couple things being observed that may provide a glimpse into what may happen when football begins.

1. Clearly the issues with baseball have more to do with the dugout/locker room where the virus is going to spread rapidly, rather than players infecting players from the opposing team. So the threat in baseball is more one-dimensional. With football, since its a very close quarters high contact sport, the threat will come from within and from the outside. With 22 players on the field for every play and with over 100 players/personnel/staff along each sideline and in the locker rooms one player who is an asymptomatic carrier can infect a dozen people during a game and those people go on to affect more team mates in the locker rooms. Anyway, this is obvious how things could get so much more out-of-hand in football because of the issue of number of players on a team and extreme close contact.

2. MLB is not taking a "next man up" approach. In other words, if multiple players on a team get infected, they are cancelling/postponing games, not just sticking in backup players and moving on. Which brings up an interesting question. If 10 or 15 players on a team get infected right before a road game, is the opposing team going to let the game happen? Are they going to invite you to come or are they going to force the game to be postponed/cancelled?

3. Baseball has 60 games. Football has 10. So, how many cancellations have to occur before everyone says, "it's no longer worth the risk" and cancelling the rest of the season

Did you read the article? I assume no. The superintendent said they were moving to come up with guidelines at the next meeting. Those guidelines would not include khaki pants or collard shirts. I swear most of you only read headlines.
I believe you mean colored?

Good questions. As much as it pains me to say it I don’t think we’ll have a season.
The extent of the close contact in football dwarfs that in other sports. To think teams can avoid significant outbreaks during the season is unrealistic

From what we are seeing it sure looks unrealistic. If you cant keep professional athletes from getting it, how you gonna keep 80+kids from getting it?

If you saw this morning the Cardinals became the third MLB team to have a large outbreak of Covid in just the FIRST week of MLB starting its abbreviated season. This is obviously not good news seeing that baseball is a non-contact sport where players are naturally "distanced" from one another while on the field.

Couple things being observed that may provide a glimpse into what may happen when football begins.

1. Clearly the issues with baseball have more to do with the dugout/locker room where the virus is going to spread rapidly, rather than players infecting players from the opposing team. So the threat in baseball is more one-dimensional. With football, since its a very close quarters high contact sport, the threat will come from within and from the outside. With 22 players on the field for every play and with over 100 players/personnel/staff along each sideline and in the locker rooms one player who is an asymptomatic carrier can infect a dozen people during a game and those people go on to affect more team mates in the locker rooms. Anyway, this is obvious how things could get so much more out-of-hand in football because of the issue of number of players on a team and extreme close contact.

2. MLB is not taking a "next man up" approach. In other words, if multiple players on a team get infected, they are cancelling/postponing games, not just sticking in backup players and moving on. Which brings up an interesting question. If 10 or 15 players on a team get infected right before a road game, is the opposing team going to let the game happen? Are they going to invite you to come or are they going to force the game to be postponed/cancelled?

3. Baseball has 60 games. Football has 10. So, how many cancellations have to occur before everyone says, "it's no longer worth the risk" and cancelling the rest of the season

This is what I have been thinking. We will start, but doubtful we finish. How you gonna keep the young-uns from not socializing off campus? They're gonna want to get out and about.

That's an inaccurate article. "Aerosols" are much smaller than the filtration capability of cloth masks. This is exactly why N95s and respirators were invented and used by those at risk of inhaling viral particles and their associated aerosolized droplets, which have evaporated to much smaller diameters as they travel from the expeller.

In addition, there is little to no data demonstrating the safety of wearing a cloth mask to the wearer. The constant touching/wiping/adjusting of the mask absolutely has the potential to increase risk of infection. If you don't believe me, come spend a day in the office with me and observe.

I know this may cause some to challenge their preconceived beliefs, but it will take critical thinking to emerge from this crisis.
Thank you

I've been saying for weeks I see little chance a college football season gets played or if started not finished...MLB this past week just proves how difficult it is....This past week multiple teams in MLB have been effected and multiple games postponed in a already shortened season.

Just today the Cardinals have reported several positive which effects the Brewers....And I wonder how the Twins are feeling having just played the Cards? Wonder how the hotel in Minnesota where the Cards stayed feels today....restaurants? By what I've read the Cards players effected are isolated in hotel rooms in Milwaukee...How does that effect that hotel and it's staff?

Things like this will happen in college football....how will they handle it? Are they going to leave 18-22 year olds isolated in hotel rooms 500-600 miles from their home campus because they can't travel back with their teammates? Like the MLB it becomes a snowball effect in how it effects other teams and future games. Heck...the Yankees on Monday voted not to travel to Miami this weekend for a 3 game series with the Marlins.....Do NOT blame them a bit. IMO you will see this in college football too.

Last edited:

I fear you are likely correct. I have posted elsewhere that while a college football season may well start, it is unlikely to finish. Just the world we live in right now.

I've never understood the touching/wiping/adjusting of the mask argument. When this stuff first started we heard and read stories constantly that the 2 main things you could do to help avoid the virus were (1) wash your hands often for at least 20 seconds (2) don't touch your face - which was often accompanied by the factoid that studies show the average person touches their face 20 times an hour. So, when mask wearing was not encouraged we were told we needed to discipline ourselves to not touch our faces. If we can be expected to change that behavior, can we not also discipline ourselves to not touch our mask ? I personally can.

The other thing I don't understand is the mask not helping because the particles are smaller than the holes in the fabric. This is probably stupid but here goes - a golf ball will fit thru the holes of a chain link fence easily but if you throw a golf ball at a chain link fence there is a decent chance you will hit the fence and not the hole. Why can't the same be true for a virus going thru a mask? Even if it's smaller than the hole in the fabric, won't some of the particles hit the cloth and not the hole? Especially if you have 3 layers. If you throw a golf ball at 1 chain link fence you might hit the hole and the golf ball make it thru. If you add a 2nd fence an inch behind the first and you line the wire mesh of the 2nd fence up to cover the gaps of the first fence the golf ball won't make it thru. You add a 3rd fence an inch behind the 2nd and you won't be able to get a gumball thru. So, won't some of the tiny virus particles hit one of the cloth layers and stick to it? And is there a benefit to reducing the number of particles that get thru? Or is 1 getting thru as bad as 1,000,000?
I give you a lot of credit. Most on here don’t actually want to discuss. They just call names, claim moral superiority, and/or deflect. I’ll scroll to see what the doc said as kiddie is way more qualified than I to answer. I just wanted to give you kudos.

VN Store

Back