Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the scientific method. Data either affirms or contradicts your hypothesis. You either reconstruct a new hypothesis or the data aligns with it, and you draw a conclusion. Then you can write an opinion piece based on those findings.

I wonder if science can still be science in a post-modern societal mindset. I just came across this:

"More than 70% of researchers have tried and failed to reproduce another scientist's experiments, and more than half have failed to reproduce their own experiments. Those are some of the telling figures that emerged from Nature's survey of 1,576 researchers..."​

and this:

“Although our data and statistical approach were valid to estimate the question we actually tested (the race of civilians fatally shot by police), given continued misuse of the article (e.g., MacDonald, 2020) we felt the right decision was to retract the article...”​

Anyone who has peeked far enough behind the consensus curtain of anthropomorphic global warming research has found plenty of disturbing examples of research corrupted or edited to an end. And to be fair, how do I know my "peek" wasn't directed also?

Well here is the flie problem
View attachment 292214
I might get in trouble if I "get rid of them" lol.
For mosquitoes I bout 3 citronella plants a couple years back, they died from too much shade I think. I have lots of trees all around my house. Maybe I was not watering them enough tho.
Yeah, good luck with the flies. Rosemary and garlic plants work better than citronella plants in my experience. Also check to see if there are any repositories collecting water. If you have a lot of leafy branches, buy a Black Flag mosquito fogger and do a once over.

Yeah, good luck with the flies. Rosemary and garlic plants work better than citronella plants in my experience. Also check to see if there are any repositories collecting water. If you have a lot of leafy branches, buy a Black Flag mosquito fogger and do a once over.

Spartan Mosquito Eradicators

hung (2) June 1 and have no mosquitos anytime day or night, as of last night. label states they last (90) days. amazing!

I wonder if science can still be science in a post-modern societal mindset. I just came across this:

"More than 70% of researchers have tried and failed to reproduce another scientist's experiments, and more than half have failed to reproduce their own experiments. Those are some of the telling figures that emerged from Nature's survey of 1,576 researchers..."​

and this:

“Although our data and statistical approach were valid to estimate the question we actually tested (the race of civilians fatally shot by police), given continued misuse of the article (e.g., MacDonald, 2020) we felt the right decision was to retract the article...”​

Anyone who has peeked far enough behind the consensus curtain of anthropomorphic global warming research has found plenty of disturbing examples of research corrupted or edited to an end. And to be fair, how do I know my "peek" wasn't directed also?

Such a dilemma. What to do when science doesn't support your bias, and conflicts with the community bias of the moment? Retract.

Reminds me of an AI study that Microsoft was doing some time back. I won't mention the details, but it was arriving at answers that were unacceptable, so they shut it down.

This is all at the heart of why issues become polarized and why people become so jaded. True objectivity is nearly impossible to find any more, if it ever was.

You're citing to an article that's is titled "Data Suggests . . .". Suggests? WTH kind of scientific analysis is that.

I am constantly amazed that people are so paranoid about anything to do with the government that they're willing to rely on "reports" from internet sources versus dedicated public servants like Faucci at the CDC or NIH who don't give a damn about anything but the science.

First we're told by these "news sources" that this is't going to be worst than the regular flu. (130,000+ dead in 6 months seem to be worse than the flu), then we/re told you don't have anything to worry about if you're under age 50 (just because you don't die doesn't mean you can't have long-term health effects plus there are people who are under 40 and yet they have died) and now people are saying that wearing or not wearing masks is a political choice.

And does anyone really believe DeSantis is purposely over-counting the numbers in Florida? This is the guy who refused to close the beaches over Memorial Day and now says that if a Walmart can be open, so should the schools.

I'm pissed that I'm being forced to send my children back to elementary school on 8/10. Florida is one of the biggest hotspots in the world right now and they can't wait until after Labor Day?

It is stupid and politically driven to push people back to work. They don't care about our children's health and working parents are still screwed on work because there are no after school programs offered this year and daycares are still mostly closed....even if they were open they aren't prepared to have the kids socially distance and neither are the schools. They actually expect to enforce making young children wear masks all day. It won't work and all it will take is one infected child to cause an outbreak that they bring home to parents and disable the workforce.

The only other alternatives given are home learning that you have to commit to for months and requires adult supervision. I am blessed to have had my father-in-law move in with us and that is the only reason my wife and I can both work full time. He is not able to basically homeschool two children. I feel bad for other families who dont have that option.

They cause infrastructure damage to our docks/seawalls/sidewalks. Iguanas also damage thousands of dollars worth of landscaping in a couple of days. They are an invasive species just like the python that are destroying the ecosystem of the Everglades. plus they get in my boat and make a mess. The best thing that could happen is if the temp would fall below 40 degrees for 3 or 4 days, it would totally eliminate most of them.
Then throw a big barbecue

I'm pissed that I'm being forced to send my children back to elementary school on 8/10. Florida is one of the biggest hotspots in the world right now and they can't wait until after Labor Day?

It is stupid and politically driven to push people back to work. They don't care about our children's health and working parents are still screwed on work because there are no after school programs offered this year and daycares are still mostly closed....even if they were open they aren't prepared to have the kids socially distance and neither are the schools. They actually expect to enforce making young children wear masks all day. It won't work and all it will take is one infected child to cause an outbreak that they bring home to parents and disable the workforce.

The only other alternatives given are home learning that you have to commit to for months and requires adult supervision. I am blessed to have had my father-in-law move in with us and that is the only reason my wife and I can both work full time. He is not able to basically homeschool two children. I feel bad for other families who dont have that option.

Child abuse and domestic violence has skyrocketed during the pandemic. School is in many cases the only place some kids are getting solid nutrition. The arguments for and against aren't simply political.

I bought a 6' Burmese python when I was 19 in Orlando. Before I moved back, it um escaped. This was 95' now they have this big problem with them. I always wondered if Laquita was part of the problem. Actually when I got back my old roommate told this kid down the road(snakeboy, cause he had like 50 snakes and lizards and raised his own mice to feed them, only 10 years old what I remember) my phone number. He called and asked exactly where I thought he, ahem, escaped to. I told him, but never heard from him again.
Underrated story.

Almost as good as Hide's from the warehouse
tenor (2).gif

and this:

Reproducibility of research seems to be a near dang crisis. Lots of BS going on in research and academic research just to pump something out. So much data and statistical (especially p-value) manipulation going on.

Replication crisis - Wikipedia

But I fail too see how scrutiny of reproducibility is a post-modern push. The scientific process and dogma is very much a modernist philosophy. I would see scrutiny of its recent scandals as strengthening the environment, not as an attack meant to deconstruct it.

Last edited:
That is the scientific method. Data either affirms or contradicts your hypothesis. You either reconstruct a new hypothesis or the data aligns with it, and you draw a conclusion. Then you can write an opinion piece based on those findings.

I sort of like Fauci as a person, but he told concerned citizens to go to the Super Bowl, you’ll be fine. He stated they inflate numbers at a WH press briefing, no less. I see no problem questioning an unelected bureaucrat. It sort of what makes us all balanced. I appreciate when people call me out for something. Happens a lot on here 😆. DeSantis, like all, are incentivized to inflate, you have to see that.

Why do I keep getting roped into Rona talk.

You and me both, engineer. What’s interesting is that DeSantis was accused early on of holding back numbers to justify his re-opening. There were multiple stories about them firing the woman who put the entire database together for the state. So, which one is it- did he under report or is he inflating? I guess if he did both, then the numbers should be just right😀

Reproducibility of research seems to be a near dang crisis. Lots of BS going on in research and academic research just to pump something out. So much data and statistical (especially p-value) manipulation going on.

Replication crisis - Wikipedia
It's why I tell people to look at multiple sources and see who is funding the research

I am replying with this link NOT to promote any political position, but because you are obviously a loving, caring parent who just wants your child's health to be secure.

https://www.kusi.com/dr-scott-atlas...and-asks-arent-schools-an-essential-business/

Unless your child has one of the critical but identified pre-existing conditions, the current science should reassure you.

I am replying with this link NOT to promote any political position, but because you are obviously a loving, caring parent who just wants your child's health to be secure.

https://www.kusi.com/dr-scott-atlas...and-asks-arent-schools-an-essential-business/

Unless your child has one of the critical but identified pre-existing conditions, the current science should reassure you.

There is no small irony here, however, that Dr. Atlas speaks negatively of the model prediction that 134k people would die by *next* month.

...But I fail too see how scrutiny of reproducibility is a post-modern push. The scientific process and dogma is very much a modernist philosophy. I would see scrutiny of its recent scandals as strengthening the environment, not as an attack meant to deconstruct it.

Forgive my ambiguous syntax. I didn't mean the scrutiny itself.

I meant that the diminishment of objectivity, and the rush to acknowledge results that have not endured the rigors of replication and intensive peer review seem connected to a post-modern idea that "truth" is a societal construct and should be judged by its results rather than its merits (merit being another social construct of the ruling hierarchies).

Child abuse and domestic violence has skyrocketed during the pandemic. School is in many cases the only place some kids are getting solid nutrition. The arguments for and against aren't simply political.
Agree with the 2nd statement. I have been happy to see nonprofits like the YMCA step up here and provide "school meals" for children during this time. Hopefully rural communities have similar orgs or churches to step in and assist. Of course...maybe the school systems still should have shouldered that role.

As for the first statement, that seems like a sad statement on those abusers and the home life of many. Why does more interaction with children and wife cause negative reactions for so many fathers/husbands? I think many on here joked about it during quarantine, but for some (not people on here) they legitimately abhor having to be around their family more. Seems like a serious societal issue if that is the case (increase in abuse).

Last edited:

There is no small irony here, however, that Dr. Atlas speaks negatively of the model prediction that 134k people would die by *next* month.

That’s what I was thinking. First few lines says he is pushing back against a model that predicts 134k deaths by Aug 19 yet 136k have already died. Says we need to use facts and not hypothetical projections. The facts are more people have died than even those hypothetical projections.

And not discounting his opinion but his specialty is neuroradiology; not immunology, epidemiology, or virology. He’s not a person who actually studies viruses and their transmissibility.

Edit: I don’t have kids so no dog in this fight. Just pointing out it’s not his specialty.

Forgive my ambiguous syntax. I didn't mean the scrutiny itself.

I meant that the diminishment of objectivity, and the rush to acknowledge results that have not endured the rigors of replication and intensive peer review seem connected to a post-modern idea that "truth" is a societal construct and should be judged by its results rather than its merits (merit being another social construct of the ruling hierarchies).
Fair enough. Reminded me of this gem of a tweet I saw recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back