Pons declares for draft

On the Friday VQ podcast I think it was Brice that said he’s hearing more and more that Pons is likely gone. Either drafted or just off to the European league.

Wow

Wait
Brice?
It was Lewis...he said he’s started picking up some rumblings that Pons may be leaving regardless of draft stock. But then he added too that it may not be accurate and it wouldn’t make sense for him to have come back to UT if his decision was made...would’ve made more sense to work daily with a trainer.

It was Lewis...he said he’s started picking up some rumblings that Pons may be leaving regardless of draft stock. But then he added too that it may not be accurate and it wouldn’t make sense for him to have come back to UT if his decision was made...would’ve made more sense to work daily with a trainer.
That is where I am at with it. Unless he came back just to inform the staff of his intentions in person, which would be admirable but completely unnecessary in our current climate, then it just doesn't make a lot of sense. It would definitely suck to lose him this close to the season with no real shot at replacing him. More minutes for Anosike, and his addition becomes all that more important, as does flattening his adjustment curve. More minutes for Walker, as well.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

Has the wife been with him all
Along?

The recent news with covid could easily have changed his mind

it’s my opinion anyone close to the fence should go because I find it hard to believe a normal college season is coming

The recent news with covid could easily have changed his mind

it’s my opinion anyone close to the fence should go because I find it hard to believe a normal college season is coming
I don’t disagree necessarily, but what reason is there to come back? Or to still be here, he can leave anytime? He’s limited on workouts and training, he would be much better off hiring someone and having unlimited workouts and training access. So if he’s 100% decided he’s gone I don’t see the benefit in continuing to act as a student athlete, that makes me feel he hasn’t decided for sure either way.

I don’t disagree necessarily, but what reason is there to come back? Or to still be here, he can leave anytime? He’s limited on workouts and training, he would be much better off hiring someone and having unlimited workouts and training access. So if he’s 100% decided he’s gone I don’t see the benefit in continuing to act as a student athlete, that makes me feel he hasn’t decided for sure either way.

Cheaper to travel and live on Tennessee’s dime maybe

I also asked about the wife. Maybe she factors in

Cheaper to travel and live on Tennessee’s dime maybe

I also asked about the wife. Maybe she factors in

Not sure I buy that first part, agents would provide plenty of financial support, and he could probably have stayed in France pretty cheap as well.

Not sure about the wife.

Sure but the agent would have to be reimbursed
Right, but money wouldn’t be near as much an issue in a few months for Pons as it is now...and even so, he has a place to live in France, I doubt that the expenses would be very much. You see guys all the time opt to train full time, pretty rare you see a guy coming back to the school especially under these circumstances just to go pro.

Agents don’t give $ away. They recoup expenses with their pay after the players receive their first paychecks
Since Pons is not a top-level prospect, that may be true, to an extent, in his case. It may affect the amount of money an agent is willing to fork over toward his pre-draft preparation. But generally speaking, especially for higher profile prospects, agents recoup money in their effort to acquire the athlete as a client by landing the client. Their expenses to land the client are tax deductible. Most agents aren't keeping dollar for dollar tabs on players with the expectation that they'll be paid back every dollar down to the last dime. It's the cost of doing business.

Please tell me you don't actually believe that Zion Williamson's agent asked him to repay every last dime given to him prior to being drafted in last June's draft. He will recoup that amount 10 fold thru the percentages earned via his NBA contract, and even more so thru his endorsement deals, which yield higher returns for agents.

Since Pons is not a top-level prospect, that may be true, to an extent, in his case. It may affect the amount of money an agent is willing to fork over toward his pre-draft preparation. But generally speaking, especially for higher profile prospects, agents recoup money in their effort to acquire the athlete as a client by landing the client. Their expenses to land the client are tax deductible. Most agents aren't keeping dollar for dollar tabs on players with the expectation that they'll be paid back every dollar down to the last dime. It's the cost of doing business.

Please tell me you don't actually believe that Zion Williamson's agent asked him to repay every last dime given to him prior to being drafted in last June's draft. He will recoup that amount 10 fold thru the percentages earned via his NBA contract, and even more so thru his endorsement deals, which yield higher returns for agents.
Zions agent did sue him so...

anyway I think it’s entirely possible that Pons and the agent decided that they were on the fence and coming back to the states to see what was going to happen with covid was the best plan. If covid was in our rear view mirrors then playing for the vols would be the call. If not spending a few months on the vols dime would save 5-10k and he would stay in the draft. Seems like a combo decision to me

Also knowing the whereabouts of the wife is key in why Pons is where he is as well imo

Right, but money wouldn’t be near as much an issue in a few months for Pons as it is now...and even so, he has a place to live in France, I doubt that the expenses would be very much. You see guys all the time opt to train full time, pretty rare you see a guy coming back to the school especially under these circumstances just to go pro.

Agreed if covid wasn’t around

Zions agent did sue him so...
Quite the strawman argument. The agent's suit was a countersuit to Zion's filing against the agent in an attempt to terminate their relationship/contract because the agency is not recognized by the NBA Player's Association. The agent has quite the axe to grind with Zion and is airing all sorts of dirty laundry. It has nothing to do with any money afforded to Zion as part of the pre-draft process, and everything to do with the fact that they don't get to ride that gravy train, as evidenced by the fact that the lawsuit is for $100 million.

Reactions: butchna
Quite the strawman argument. The agent's suit was a countersuit to Zion's filing against the agent in an attempt to terminate their relationship/contract because the agency is not recognized by the NBA Player's Association. The agent has quite the axe to grind with Zion and is airing all sorts of dirty laundry. It has nothing to do with any money afforded to Zion as part of the pre-draft process, and everything to do with the fact that they don't get to ride that gravy train, as evidenced by the fact that the lawsuit is for $100 million.

It was a joke

as I said in the second half of that post I don’t think pons is here solely to save money. A combo of things imo

VN Store

Back