Is signing a PG a must?

You didn’t ask me, but I would say it’s better. Far better. No.

Using the combined rankings, UNC has 18 and 38. Tennessee has 36,41 and 52.

Key is the difference maker even if Tennessee gets 45 Wiggins and Miles (46 ESPN).

What a lot of fans and recruiters fail to remember Key missed a month of basketball with that high ankle sprain, So if you look at the numbers before that injury there is no question her rankings would be higher. So as far as who has the better class the jury is still out ?

So do you think Bangharts 2 player class this far is better than the 3 player one TN has (so far)?
I think it's close. We do have 3 recruits to NC's 2. Though, generally, if it's close, I would go with the best player, and that would be Key.
Previous to this post, I didn't make any judgements about the 2021 class. My initial question to c j was regarding the 2020 class. He didn't answer my question and apparently didn't know that Harper and Banghart were hired within weeks of each other.

What a lot of fans and recruiters fail to remember Key missed a month of basketball with that high ankle sprain, So if you look at the numbers before that injury there is no question her rankings would be higher. So as far as who has the better class the jury is still out ?

Same for Puckett multiple sites have said her ratings will go up. It will be interesting .

I think it's close. We do have 3 recruits to NC's 2. Though, generally, if it's close, I would go with the best player, and that would be Key.
Previous to this post, I didn't make any judgements about the 2021 class. My initial question to c j was regarding the 2020 class. He didn't answer my question and apparently didn't know that Harper and Banghart were hired within weeks of each other.

I was asking about this class because I was curious. NC got the higher rated player in 2020 I am curious as to how Suarez will work out her freshman year since she is an unknown.

It’s an exciting time for LV fans.

I just didn't feel like a drawn out debate...I am quite pleased with who we've got, who we're getting and who is still contemplating the Lady Vols (Wiggins and Miles, particularly)...period

Same for Puckett multiple sites have said her ratings will go up. It will be interesting .
Pucket is a beast and Wynn is off the charts athletic and the hidden gem of them all will be Striplin (She doesn't bring the ball down, has excellent footwork and is built Ford tough!)

Reactions: krichunaka
I was asking about this class because I was curious. NC got the higher rated player in 2020 I am curious as to how Suarez will work out her freshman year since she is an unknown.

It’s an exciting time for LV fans.
I agree. Suarez could be the wild card.
At this point, projections of how recruits ultimately turn out are, obviously, opinion only. It's possible, though unlikely, that the lowest rated player recruited turns out to be the best of the bunch.
Time will tell.

Reactions: VolBall09
I agree. Suarez could be the wild card.
At this point, projections of how recruits ultimately turn out are, obviously, opinion only. It's possible, though unlikely, that the lowest rated player recruited turns out to be the best of the bunch.
Time will tell.

I agree mos def

What a lot of fans and recruiters fail to remember Key missed a month of basketball with that high ankle sprain, So if you look at the numbers before that injury there is no question her rankings would be higher.

This. There are not 21 players in the class better than Key...

You didn’t ask me, but I would say it’s better. Far better. No.

Using the combined rankings, UNC has 18 and 38. Tennessee has 36,41 and 52.

Key is the difference maker even if Tennessee gets 45 Wiggins and Miles (46 ESPN).

Rankings and stars are for astronomers ...Lets look at the older Key, Tamari, rated #47 in her 2019 class
She was rated below 9 other "post" players in HoopGulrz

a little analyzing of those top 10 post players of her recruiting table, and
temp1.png
Better FG % than 6 of them
More TTL Pts than 4 of them
Higher avg than 4 of them
More Rebs than 2 of them
more assists than 4 of them
less TO's than 3 of them more blocks than all of them!
arguably better than #'s 14,20,30 and 37
Yet ranked initially below all of them at 47

Last edited:
Rankings and stars are for astrologists...Lets look at the older Key, Tamari, rated #47 in her 2019 class

View attachment 285989
More Rebs than 2 of them
Which his exactly what I said. Ranking don’t mean it’s where the will end up.
But It’s all we have until they play.

I should just take your word they the Tennessee class is better UNC class. I don’t think so.

Key’s summer stats were very mediocre, I think that may have some to do with it. She is not a polished product, but her athleticism, size, and potential are what make her such an introguing prospect.

What month did she miss? I doubt any scout would have been watching her during the HS season. Her team was only 6-19.

Oh no! What if the Lady Vols don't sign a point guard!
a3178597583_10.jpg

I haven't read this post beyond this comment and I feel certain that my comments are redundant. As a Tennessee fan you just endured a season where this forum was filled with threads and posts lamenting the egregious number of turnovers that plagued last years team. After going through a season like that it's amazing that any fan would undervalue the point position to the extent they believe that any guard can do it. The qualifications that set the point position apart are far more than dribbling and passing. A good point is highly intelligent, with a high BBIQ to see plays and options before they happen. They have strong leadership skills and the respect of the team. They have intimate knowledge of each player's on court tendencies knowing when where and how each player needs to receive the ball. They must in a moment recognize defensive shifts, understand the impact on the game plan, and get the entire team to adjust accordingly. And they typically are tasked with shutting down the other teams offense by containing the opposite number point. You don't win championships without a great point.

I don’t think “any guard could do it.” Yes, a point guard needs a "high BBIQ;" and while being "highly intelligent" could only help, it is simply not a prerequisite. She should have good instincts, and other qualities.

The reality is, however, she needs good teammates, and good coaching.

The point guard often makes One Pass, and doesn't receive the ball back in a given possession. And, point guards will rarely see anything "before they happen," and especially in the college (or lower) levels. To the contrary, she looks to her coach and initiates a play. She "sets" the offense, makes a pass, and then breaks to one spot or the other, often with the assignment of “cutting off the ball,” or being the first back on defense. Of course, hitting shots, and the ability to drive and execute, either by shooting or finding open teammates is very helpful. So, yes, a very important component to good offense. So, it is certainly not a simple position; but, not THE primary prerequisite to winning championships.

John Stockton was "statistically" The Greatest point guard in basketball history. By far! There's simply no close comparison. How many Championships? To emphasize, I think Stockton was not only one if the greatest point guards, but one of the greatest players, period. He is considered one of the “50 greatest-ever.” That’s huge. His numbers are insane! So (OMO), it would be unfair to suggest that Utah didn’t win any championships – because – Stockton was the point guard; it would be just as unfair to suggest that Stockton was THE reason for any titles, if, for instance, the Jazz had acquired Larry Bird. With (a healthy) Bird (or one of a few special others of that era), Utah wins multiple championships.

CoachJumper, I don’t believe you’re intentionally shunning potential transfers, or signings, but should we continually, publicly insist that we need a "backup” point guard? Absent a very pleasant in-house surprise, I agree that Jordan Horston will be our primary point guard. I also expect others will see time at that position - namely, Salary. And possibly even Marta; I’m thinking here of how Coach Kellie utilized Franklin during Missouri State’s late-season, Sweet Sixteen run.

Our head coach played in Three National Title Games. I’m sure she’s addressing the situation. But, our biggest concern for the upcoming season is overall offensive efficiency and proficiency, of which better point guard performance will help.

And, that better offense could very well have Jordan in motion. A lot.

Last edited:
Rankings and stars are for astronomers ...Lets look at the older Key, Tamari, rated #47 in her 2019 class

View attachment 285989
More Rebs than 2 of them
What about Blks?

John Stockton was "statistically" The Greatest point guard in basketball history. By far! There's simply no close comparison. How many Championships? To emphasize, I think Stockton was not only one if the greatest point guards, but one of the greatest players, period. He is considered one of the “50 greatest-ever.” That’s huge. His numbers are insane! So (OMO), it would be unfair to suggest that Utah didn’t win any championships – because – Stockton was the point guard; it would be just as unfair to suggest that Stockton was THE reason for any titles, if, for instance, the Jazz had acquired Larry Bird. With (a healthy) Bird (or one of a few special others of that era), Utah wins multiple championships.
How about a compromise? Having a great point guard does not guarantee championships, but it's darn hard to win one without at least a very good point guard.

I'm old school, I'd kill for a little organization and flow to the LV offense and we need a very steady PG to get that started. And to cut way the hell back on turnovers which negate any offense that might accidentally break out. Whoever can provide all that has my eternal PG blessing and I don't care who it is.

CoachJumper, I don’t believe you’re intentionally shunning potential transfers, or signings, but should we continually, publicly insist that we need a "backup” point guard.
Of course it's intentional shunning, knights gonna knight.

Should we discuss? Way too philosophical for my brain right now. Will we continually insist? On a fan board, in a thread about the need for a PG? I'm going with probably. Its a big concern going into the new season, a challenge we didn't think KJH would have. Would seem strange to go hush hush over it.

CoachJumper, I don’t believe you’re intentionally shunning potential transfers, or signings, but should we continually, publicly insist that we need a "backup” point guard? Absent a very pleasant in-house surprise, I agree that Jordan Horston will be our primary point guard. I also expect others will see time at that position - namely, Salary. And possibly even Marta; I’m thinking here of how Coach Kellie utilized Franklin during Missouri State’s late-season, Sweet Sixteen run.

Are you asking or asking me not to do something?
not sure what you're asking

If you are asking: "should we continually, publicly insist that we need a "backup” point guard?"

I would say yes, I am totally confident in the progression I will see in Jordan, but to not pursue a true ballhandler at this time would not be a wise coaching decision....If it were me, I would be fanning the bushes and waiting for the bees...If we do play the season as is, I think Destiny and a host of others can handle the role for spells, but if an unfortunate occurrence happens to Jordan (praying it doesn't)....we will be exposed.

Reactions: krichunaka
One of the most important jobs left mostly to point guards is bringing the ball up the floor. For that, a coach wants someone who can handle the ball under pressure without turning it over, and also who knows when and where to pass in those situations. I feel most confident in my team if I have a point guard whom I know will never have trouble getting the ball up the floor because she's quick, she's smart, and she doesn't turn it over.

VN Store

Back