Backup QB poll.

Which QB wins the backup role?

• Total voters
I believe to start out Maurer is the back-up, 2nd string, but will battle Bailey and possibly Hill throughout the first half of the season, Bailey ends up 2nd. If JG performs as he did last year I could see a Maurer and Bailey tag team as starters, the dreaded 2 QB system, until one takes control.

Reactions: volfanhill
Why not include JG as an option rather than assuming?
Because it's most likely that he's going to be the starter and I think everyone with any knowledge at all that watched our team last season and with the shutdown it doesn't make sense to start anyone else. Even you, the biggest neverJG of them all have to believe that he's our starting QB going into the season, if you think otherwise then you're just arguing to argue.

JG will start and this is a big “IF” he continues to struggle throughout the season, Bailey will take his spot.

I also think because of no spring practice and such that JG will start with Maurer then Bailey. After a couple of games who knows how it will play out but that's just what I think happens.

Reactions: mercuryvol
Because it's most likely that he's going to be the starter and I think everyone with any knowledge at all that watched our team last season and with the shutdown it doesn't make sense to start anyone else. Even you, the biggest neverJG of them all have to believe that he's our starting QB going into the season, if you think otherwise then you're just arguing to argue.
I added JG but I agree. He will start and everyone should know that by now.

Because it's most likely that he's going to be the starter and I think everyone with any knowledge at all that watched our team last season and with the shutdown it doesn't make sense to start anyone else.
It makes sense to start the best player. If they thought he were clearly that... then no one else would have played last year. The fact that two other guys did play... and have had a year to develop... and are on a steeper part of their learning curve than JG... so NO... he is not even close to being guaranteed the job. His last two games... opened the door even wider.

Even you, the biggest neverJG of them all
That's pretty stupid. I was ready to celebrate last year before the Vandy game. I think it was you that convinced me that maybe it was his grandmother dying that hurt that game... so I told myself maybe that was just a bump in the road. The IU game... against maybe the 10th most talented D UT faced last year... pretty much reduced confidence that he will EVER truly overcome his fatal flaws to zero. He was no better in that game than he was in the first 3.

have to believe that he's our starting QB going into the season,
He's the starter going into August because he was the starter leaving the last game. Maurer and Shrout have a window if they've learned the O and watched a ton of film to reduce errors. If they cannot beat JG out then it is likely that neither is an SEC quality QB.

if you think otherwise then you're just arguing to argue.
LOL... no. It is because I recognize his flaws and how they limit the team. Oh, stop arguing just to argue. I'm right and you should just accept it as gospel. Isn't that they way you're supposed to do it when you want to cut off discussion regardless of the facts?

Last edited:
Reactions: 82_VOL_83
It makes sense to start the best player. If they thought he were clearly that... then no one else would have played last year. The fact that two other guys did play... and have had a year to develop... and are on a steeper part of their learning curve than JG... so NO... he is not even close to being guaranteed the job. His last two games... opened the door even wider.

That's pretty stupid. I was ready to celebrate last year before the Vandy game. Even after I think it was you that convinced me that maybe it was his grandmother dying that hurt that game. The IU game... against maybe the 10th most talented D UT faced last year... pretty much reduced confidence that he will EVER truly overcome his fatal flaws to zero.

He's the starter going into August because he was the starter leaving the last game. Maurer and Shrout have a window if they've learned the O and watched a ton of film to reduce errors. If they cannot beat JG out then it is likely that neither is an SEC quality QB.

LOL... no. It is because I recognize his flaws and how they limit the team. Oh, stop arguing just to argue. I'm right and you should just accept it as gospel. Isn't that they way you're supposed to do it when you want to cut off discussion regardless of the facts?
What facts? You either believe JG is going to start or you don't. My guess is that you believe he's going to start out as our starting QB.

With a shortened camp I don’t see Bailey getting second string until late in the season.

I love Bailey, and I am glad he is a vol. It is, however VERY rare for a true freshman to come in and light it up. Not saying it can not be done. I also hope that it happens.
None of us really know what he is capable of. I think having Chaney as the OC is going to significantly help our QB play going down the road.
Also, I personally believe that JG is going to have a really good season. ( please do not flame me ) I am by no means saying he is going to be all American or even all conference I just happen to believe that this will be his second year with CJC and he should make a huge step.
Just my 2 cents.

What facts? You either believe JG is going to start or you don't.
The facts that he has not been a consistent nor effective QB for 3 years. The fact that he still hasn't led a UT O to more than 30 points vs an FBS opponent in his career. The fact that he's constantly late and doesn't anticipate throws. The fact that those flaws make certain plays off limits against better opponents making the O yet even more easy to defend.

My guess is that you believe he's going to start out as our starting QB.
I believe he will be at the top of the depth chart on August 1. I think he is what he is.... his inability to process reads quickly and anticipate plays has plagued him and the team for 3 years now. If he is the starter then his same flaws will enable teams to limit the O in ways they should not be able ... it will cost UT winnable games.

What I don't believe is that he is so certain to be #1 on September 5th. That comes down to a great degree on whether Maurer or Shrout have caught up in knowledge of the O and have worked in the film room to avoid mistakes (make good consistent reads).

To a lesser degree perhaps... how good HB actually is could factor in. But if he becomes the starter then I would expect it to be because JG had to be replaced (again) in the middle of the season with the coaches deciding to "play for the future".

I'll be tickled if he actually overcomes his issues and breaks through the ceiling I think he has. My only "agenda" is UT winning. I don't care who the starting QB is... though I have opinions on JG and the rest. UT doesn't have a proven, dependable winning QB. They didn't start last season with the guy they need under center... and didn't end that way either.

My personal opinion is that JG is on the flat part of his learning curve. Any improvement he makes will be incremental. Shrout and Maurer are on the steep part of their learning curve. Either or both can have breakouts between now and 9/5 that make all the difference in who starts. HB has no experience but he too is on the steep part of his curve. I doubt he will be #1 on September 5 but he could be by the bye week.

Last edited:
Maurer will be the backup. If JG is injured and it's a long-term injury you may see that change and Bailey be the guy, but I don't think there's anything Bailey can do in-season to move up to the #2 slot.
I very much hope bailey takes the number 2 slot sooner rather than later. I don't think maurer is the answer. The sooner we can get bailey upto speed and get him some ingame experience, the better off we will be.

VN Store

Back