Coronavirus (No politics)

Yeah, we've got a plan for the funds. He gets 30% as long as grades stay up/grass stays cut (That % closely represents what he would have got paid if he worked). His little sis gets 30% for her savings and he gets 30% for his savings. The other 10% is for taxes.

This is well thought out. Out of curiosity, when he was refereeing, were you letting him keep all of his earnings? My 16 year old daughter was offered to house sit one of neighbors houses. Their normal house sitter can’t do it due to Corona worries (I assume). They are paying a fair amount for the 2 week period and my wife and I were wondering how much she should save versus get to keep.

This is well thought out. Out of curiosity, when he was refereeing, were you letting him keep all of his earnings? My 16 year old daughter was offered to house sit one of neighbors houses. Their normal house sitter can’t do it due to Corona worries (I assume). They are paying a fair amount for the 2 week period and my wife and I were wondering how much she should save versus get to keep.

Here's our general parameters. He has to give 10%, save 30%, and spend 30%. Of the remaining 30%, he can choose how to use it. As he's gotten older, the urge to spend has increased.

Tennessee COVID update
Yesterday's negative rate was 98% with 7,526 tests and only 134 positives

161,928 completed tests (94% negative)
10,052 total cases (53% are in Davidson, Bledsoe, and Shelby counties)
4,921 recovered 49%
4,943 active
188 deaths 1.9%
East Tennessee active cases (75)
Knox County 13
Roane County 0
Loudon County 6
Anderson County 3
Blount County 10
Campbell County 1
Sevier County 17
Jefferson County 3
Grainger County 1
Cocke County 2
Hamblen County 6
Greene County 13
That's a total of only 75 active cases for the 12 Central valley counties.

Hope and pray your surgery goes well
My surgery went well. I had to come in the day before to get tested for the coronavirus and prep me for the surgery. They closed all the valet parking which is smart. Outside they are passing out free masks to anyone who isn’t wearing one. No friends or family are allowed. There was someone at the entrance asking questions about where have you been, if you were in contact with anyone who was sick etc. They take your temperature with some kind of thermometer that just scans you, with no contact and then they put a bright colored sticker on your shirt just to get in the hospital. The coronavirus test wasn’t bad, people scared me that it was painful, it wasn’t. They stick this thin q-tip up one of your nostrils that feels like it might hit your brain, lasts one second. I actually feel safer here now than other times I have been in the hospital pre Covid. The floor I was supposed to be on here at Tampa General is now where they treat patients with coronavirus, my surgeon said there isn’t a single patient there, it’s all empty.

My surgery went well. I had to come in the day before to get tested for the coronavirus and prep me for the surgery. They closed all the valet parking which is smart. Outside they are passing out free masks to anyone who isn’t wearing one. No friends or family are allowed. There was someone at the entrance asking questions about where have you been, if you were in contact with anyone who was sick etc. They take your temperature with some kind of thermometer that just scans you, with no contact and then they put a bright colored sticker on your shirt just to get in the hospital. The coronavirus test wasn’t bad, people scared me that it was painful, it wasn’t. They stick this thin q-tip up one of your nostrils that feels like it might hit your brain, lasts one second. I actually feel safer here now than other times I have been in the hospital pre Covid. The floor I was supposed to be on here at Tampa General is now where they treat patients with coronavirus, my surgeon said there isn’t a single patient there, it’s all empty.
Glad you're okay man! I pray you have a speedy recovery!

Reactions: SmokinBob and MAD
$25k in property stolen and vandalized from a local outdoor concert and event venue here. We also got a call from our neighbor telling us someone was snooping around our garage out back.

I can't help but think this lockdown here in Virginia and total leadership failure in Roanoke contributes to this stuff.

Last edited:
$25k in property stolen and vandalized from a local outdoor concert and venue here. We also got a call from our neighbor telling us someone was snooping around our garage out back.

I can't help but think this lockdown here in Virginia and total leadership failure in Roanoke contributes to this stuff.

It's everywhere. There's typically a big bump in crime in Memphis during the summer. This year, that bump started in mid March.

It's everywhere. There's typically a big bump in crime in Memphis during the summer. This year, that bump started in mid March.
The reason this is of note is that we live in the lowest crime part of town, and the venue is just a couple blocks away- it's pretty unprecedented.

I would be interested in how you found this out. I’m a defense attorney here in Shelby County. While they have been liberal with bonds on non violent crimes, I haven’t received a sudden influx of calls. Maybe we catch up some in May/June once we slowly open back up, but I was told at least one law enforcement agency had slowed its enforcement and investigations.

Last edited:
I would be interested in how you found this out. I’m a defense attorney here in Shelby County. While they have been liberal with bonds on non violent crimes, I haven’t received a sudden influx of calls. Maybe we catch up some in May/June once we slowly open back up, but I was told at least one law enforcement agency had slowed its enforcement and investigations.

Just moderate increases. I drove through Bartlett the other day. I counted 6 different cops setting up speed traps at 2:15 in the afternoon.

I suspect the crime rate will be super high this summer if the current unemployment levels hold

Robberies, carjackings increase since Memphis issued Safer at Home order

Last edited:
Reactions: VolGee4
In a shocking display of disconnectedness from reality, one of our city councilors penned an op-ed today comparing this coronavirus situation in the area to being unable to pressure wash one's deck during the drought we had twenty years ago.

So far, he's the only councilor to really speak publicly on anything, and that's what we get.

Whoopee.

Just moderate increases. I drove through Bartlett the other day. I counted 6 different cops setting up speed traps at 2:15 in the afternoon.

I suspect the crime rate will be super high this summer if the current unemployment levels hold

Robberies, carjackings increase since Memphis issued Safer at Home order

Thanks. Hadn’t necessarily seen that, but as you say, they were slight increases, and I’m not sure the pandemic could be totally responsible for it. I would be interested to see any increases in thefts and property crimes. If anything, we expected more domestic cases with people at home more.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Thanks. Hadn’t necessarily seen that, but as you say, they were slight increases, and I’m not sure the pandemic could be totally responsible for it. I would be interested to see any increases in thefts and property crimes. If anything, we expected more domestic cases with people at home more.
I'm interested in how crime statistics are calculated. In a growing area like middle TN, we'll hear that crime is down when the raw number of offenses is up. If you push on it, you'll be told that it's down per capita. I can understand using the per capita measurement, but the geographic area county is unchanged so there are going to be a lot more red dots on the map. Another thing I question, is whether some jurisdictions are not counting juvenile delinquent acts as criminal offenses for purposes of crime statistics even when those acts would be a serious misdemeanor or felony offense if committed by an adult. Basically, I think that some of the large cities in TN and probably throughout the US are manipulating the data to give people a false sense of security.

Reactions: FallCreekVols

VN Store

Back