Coronavirus (No politics)

I'm interested in how crime statistics are calculated. In a growing area like middle TN, we'll hear that crime is down when the raw number of offenses is up. If you push on it, you'll be told that it's down per capita. I can understand using the per capita measurement, but the geographic area county is unchanged so there are going to be a lot more red dots on the map. Another thing I question, is whether some jurisdictions are not counting juvenile delinquent acts as criminal offenses for purposes of crime statistics even when those acts would be a serious misdemeanor or felony offense if committed by an adult. Basically, I think that some of the large cities in TN and probably throughout the US are manipulating the data to give people a false sense of security.

There's definitely not an apples to apples comparison when it comes to reporting. For example, Memphis has typically been very liberal in reporting crimes while cities such as Chicago have been proven to under-report so much that the FBI kicks its data out.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
I'm interested in how crime statistics are calculated. In a growing area like middle TN, we'll hear that crime is down when the raw number of offenses is up. If you push on it, you'll be told that it's down per capita. I can understand using the per capita measurement, but the geographic area county is unchanged so there are going to be a lot more red dots on the map. Another thing I question, is whether some jurisdictions are not counting juvenile delinquent acts as criminal offenses for purposes of crime statistics even when those acts would be a serious misdemeanor or felony offense if committed by an adult. Basically, I think that some of the large cities in TN and probably throughout the US are manipulating the data to give people a false sense of security.

I can’t really answer how it’s calculated. But you are right that there are ways to manipulate it some. You have to remember that District Attorney’s are elected, so when they release the numbers, it’s for a certain benefit.

Also, the DA’s offices often issue a press release when someone pleads or gets convicted at trial, but the acquittals are hardly ever reported (unless it’s high profile) because the DA’s office doesn’t want to release news about cases they “lose.”

The "face covering" requirement is spreading like wildfire in local establishments. I cannot find any conclusive science that cloth masks have any real effect in reducing virus spread. In fact, I would think that donning, touching, adjusting the nasty thing would be more risky to others than not wearing one at all.

Has anyone come across real data backing the use of these trendy fabric face shields?

The "face covering" requirement is spreading like wildfire in local establishments. I cannot find any conclusive science that cloth masks have any real effect in reducing virus spread. In fact, I would think that donning, touching, adjusting the nasty thing would be more risky to others than not wearing one at all.

Has anyone come across real data backing the use of these trendy fabric face shields?
Nope.

Around here people are using bandanas. They all look like silly old Western bandits.

Reactions: FallCreekVols
This appears to be great news..Dr. Fauci isn't one to get overly excited over a partial success.. Anyone know the internals of the study? I can't imagine it would be ethical to do a double blind placebo study on dying patients.
FDA in 'ongoing' talks with Gilead to make remdesivir available to coronavirus patients 'as quickly as possible'

Good news. I do think it was double blind placebo controlled. Note: placebo doesn’t mean subjects got no other treatment. It means all subjects received best standard of care. On top of that, Remdesivir was administered IV, placebo subjects got a saline IV.

There is zero doubt they would reduce the spray effect from a cough or sneeze. To what degree would be hard to say, but certainly some effect.

Reactions: oz615

I can't count the number of patients that have come in to my dental practice with a mask on that are constantly touching there face and readjusting it. It's not doing them any favors

My latest email from Fresh Market said that purchase limits on popular meat products are likely and not to expect any of their great deals on large cuts of meat, such as whole tenderloins, for a while. Only think I noticed at Kroger yesterday was that the lunch meat area looked like the toilet paper aisle, empty. The raw meat area, seafood area, canned meats, and processed breakfast meats were in ample supply.

This appears to be great news..Dr. Fauci isn't one to get overly excited over a partial success.. Anyone know the internals of the study? I can't imagine it would be ethical to do a double blind placebo study on dying patients.
FDA in 'ongoing' talks with Gilead to make remdesivir available to coronavirus patients 'as quickly as possible'

From what I've read you if something really shows positive results you have to stop giving the placebo group the fake stuff and give them the real thing. I know I just described that from a 10,000 ft level.

Reactions: VolnJC

I have asked wouldnt you be constantly breathing the virus in if it got on the outside of your mask?

So instead of walking thru it for 1 seconds, you're now inhaling it for minutes or hours?

Tennessee COVID update
Yesterday's negative rate was 96% with 6,621 tests

168,549 completed tests (94% negative)
10,366 total cases (53% are in Davidson, Bledsoe, and Shelby counties)
5,140 recovered 50%
5,031 active
195 deaths 1.8%
East Tennessee active cases (87)
Knox County 19
Roane County 0
Loudon County 10
Anderson County 5
Blount County 9
Campbell County 1
Sevier County 19
Jefferson County 3
Grainger County 1
Cocke County 2
Hamblen County 5
Greene County 13
That's a total of only 87 active cases for the 12 Central valley counties.

There is zero doubt they would reduce the spray effect from a cough or sneeze. To what degree would be hard to say, but certainly some effect.

If you have a cough, you should be staying at home. I have managed to find some studies on other respiratory viruses where subjects coughed through various coverings onto a medium that was then tested for presence of the viruses. These studies seem to suggest that your statement is actually false, and that there is basically no benefit from wearing a cloth face covering.

In addition, one study also found that more viral particles were found on the outside of cloth masks than on the inside. The authors did not propose an explanation.

If you have a cough, you should be staying at home. I have managed to find some studies on other respiratory viruses where subjects coughed through various coverings onto a medium that was then tested for presence of the viruses. These studies seem to suggest that your statement is actually false, and that there is basically no benefit from wearing a cloth face covering.

In addition, one study also found that more viral particles were found on the outside of cloth masks than on the inside. The authors did not propose an explanation.

A better solution would be a reusable plastic mask where the filter can be changed and air can only pass inward, sneezes and coughs would be captured inside and exhales downward thru a flap. Clean by boiling. The demand for masks is so high we will be filling all the landfills, need a reusable option.

double masking?

Reactions: IPleadInsanity

VN Store

Back