Potpourri

Watched the 2006 game between the Lady Vols and Duke today.....The LVs were rated number 1, and Duke was number 2....

This particular game, Duke won rather easily....Zolman had the worst game she ever played....She was ice cold....Parker was Parker, but not a lot of help from the rest of the team...

Our point guard, Hornbuckle, had a bad game as well, and turned it over several times, while their point guard ran amuck on us....

What stood out to me was we still had no offensive flow, much like what we have seen recently with the LVs....Pat was yelling defense, but the offense was very inept....

It took a certain team from the north, to really show how important efficient offensive basketball is to the women's game....Ugly, but true.

Three of the top teams of that era, Tennessee, Duke, and North Carolina, have all three fallen into mediocrity, and have been trying to be relevant again for a very long time...It's a long climb up, when one falls so far.
team_photo1.jpg

Childhood memory....

When I was about 3 years old, my neighbors took me to a fair in San Diego.....I was just a little guy....Somewhere while walking down the midway, my neighbor let go of my hand and I got completely lost....I walked around just crying, I was terrified....

A nice man took me to the main stage, on the fair midway, and they had me stand there while they asked in a microphone, if I was anyone's kid....I was so scared.... I literally did not even know my own name....

Finally, my neighbors claimed me from the stage....I was so relieved....When we got home, and my neighbors told my mom what happened, all hell broke loose....Mom was furious at them for not paying closer attention to me....

In San Diego, at least at that time, white children were often stolen and sent across the border for big bucks to the child traffickers......

The next time I went to the fair, with my mom, she taped my name and phone number to my shirt, just in case I got lost again....She was a great mom!

Childhood memory....

When I was about 3 years old, my neighbors took me to a fair in San Diego.....I was just a little guy....Somewhere while walking down the midway, my neighbor let go of my hand and I got completely lost....I walked around just crying, I was terrified....

A nice man took me to the main stage, on the fair midway, and they had me stand there while they asked in a microphone, if I was anyone's kid....I was so scared.... I literally did not even know my own name....

Finally, my neighbors claimed me from the stage....I was so relieved....When we got home, and my neighbors told my mom what happened, all hell broke loose....Mom was furious at them for not paying closer attention to me....

In San Diego, at least at that time, white children were often stolen and sent across the border for big bucks to the child traffickers......

The next time I went to the fair, with my mom, she taped my name and phone number to my shirt, just in case I got lost again....She was a great mom!

a memory like that stays with you

Reactions: GameTime
Never heard of him.

Oh, Man...hope you're kidding. He was an American treasure.

Just visited Youtube and listened to some of his stuff again and laughed and laughed (and kind of choked up a little).

One thing that his fans love so much about him is how relatable his songs are. Simple but profound lyrics that appeal to the common, everyday side of life and make you appreciate them. Somebody recently said that he could write songs that could make you laugh in one instant and cry at the next...like the memory of a lost loved one (family, friend, pet).

I've seen a lot of performers live, and he was the best storyteller (of any stripe) I've ever seen. One of our favorite concerts ever was seeing him with Nanci Griffith at the Knoxville Colosseum in early 90's. Fantastic double bill, and both were great (show went on until after 10:30, I think, and nobody wanted to leave). On the 90 minute drive home to Kingsport, we both agreed that we'd pay money just to hear Prine's monologues introducing the songs. Priceless.

An American original. Check out some of his live stuff in his prime complete with intros (he had throat cancer around 2012 and had to relearn how to sing after surgery, and he also had lung cancer but still performed admirably and with a great sense of humor).

If you like him, his choruses will stick in your head for a while.

Coach, to this day, whenever I go to any fair, I always remember how scared I was, and look for the stage where lost kids will hopefully be reunited with their parents....

Oh, Man...hope you're kidding. He was an American treasure.

Just visited Youtube and listened to some of his stuff again and laughed and laughed (and kind of choked up a little).

One thing that his fans love so much about him is how relatable his songs are. Simple but profound lyrics that appeal to the common, everyday side of life and make you appreciate them. Somebody recently said that he could write songs that could make you laugh in one instant and cry at the next...like the memory of a lost loved one (family, friend, pet).

I've seen a lot of performers live, and he was the best storyteller (of any stripe) I've ever seen. One of our favorite concerts ever was seeing him with Nanci Griffith at the Knoxville Colosseum in early 90's. Fantastic double bill, and both were great (show went on until after 10:30, I think, and nobody wanted to leave). On the 90 minute drive home to Kingsport, we both agreed that we'd pay money just to hear Prine's monologues introducing the songs. Priceless.

An American original. Check out some of his live stuff in his prime complete with intros (he had throat cancer around 2012 and had to relearn how to sing after surgery, and he also had lung cancer but still performed admirably and with a great sense of humor).

If you like him, his choruses will stick in your head for a while.

story teller musicians are an individual "acquired taste"...for me it is Goose Creek Symphony.
My sister and I saw that they were doing a farewell tour in 2002 at a bar outside of Chattanooga called "Crickets lounge"

We decided to ride together and drove up a long drive to the bar
It turned out to be a biker bar
Here I was in a polo shirt and Khakis at a biker bar with Sis (like a scene out of "Fletch Lives"...turns out that one of the Bikers "China Man" knew her from high school so we were cool by association

I will never forget that
here is one of their songs

Coach, to this day, whenever I go to any fair, I always remember how scared I was, and look for the stage where lost kids will hopefully be reunited with their parents....

Childhood memories are the ones that shape us
My business mentor once said,"give me a child for their first five years and I will give you their lifetime character"
I never knew what that meant until I was blessed with my daughter.

I went through divorce when she was four
Mom told me, "That little time you get to spend with her,,make memories"
We spent our visitation weekends on "photographic safaris"
We go to different places with ideas on subjects for that weekend,,,unusual people, ball games at Turner field, Hawks games, zoos, etc
The last safari subject I remember, during her HS days was finding alphabet letters in everyday outings
A letter k in a flag-pole holder off the building,,The letter Q off an overpass on 285 in Atlanta,,The letter i using one of the king/queen buildings off of GA 400 in Roswell

I am glad Mom gave me this advice
My now 25 year old daughters memories of that time are of the events, not the "event"

My niece is in the AF, and she recently moved to Okinawa. I was planning on seeing her while I was there. Personally, I love Japan. I'd love to live there, but the language barrier would be an issue if I tried to look for job opportunities there.
I was stationed at Kadena in the 1970's. Hottest place I've ever lived. So humid your sheets on the bed felt wet.

I was stationed at Kadena in the 1970's. Hottest place I've ever lived. So humid your sheets on the bed felt wet.

In the pics I saw of there, I never saw my older siblings in anything but shorts and tank-tops
Mom tells of the typhoons coming through as the scariest times of her life

Reactions: krichunaka
In the pics I saw of there, I never saw my older siblings in anything but shorts and tank-tops
Mom tells of the typhoons coming through as the scariest times of her life
Your Mother told you the truth...Every barracks had sandbags close to to all the doors on the first floor....When the monsoons or typhoons came the sandbags were used on all the ground level doors to keep the water from coming in. It's humid here in the South but nothing like Okinawa. I worked on the flight line and when I went there I weighed about 185....came back about around 150 and I ate like a horse while stationed there.

Okinawa is a very interesting place with a interesting culture. I enjoyed being stationed there and seeing the island from one end to the other. Can't say I've ever wanted to go back.

Last edited:
Reactions: krichunaka
Watched the 2006 game between the Lady Vols and Duke today.....The LVs were rated number 1, and Duke was number 2....

This particular game, Duke won rather easily....Zolman had the worst game she ever played....She was ice cold....Parker was Parker, but not a lot of help from the rest of the team...

Our point guard, Hornbuckle, had a bad game as well, and turned it over several times, while their point guard ran amuck on us....

What stood out to me was we still had no offensive flow, much like what we have seen recently with the LVs....Pat was yelling defense, but the offense was very inept....

It took a certain team from the north, to really show how important efficient offensive basketball is to the women's game....Ugly, but true.

Three of the top teams of that era, Tennessee, Duke, and North Carolina, have all three fallen into mediocrity, and have been trying to be relevant again for a very long time...It's a long climb up, when one falls so far.
team_photo1.jpg

I’m so conflicted by this post because the LVs really do need an offensive upgrade!

But this is a national championship team so there is that lol

Your Mother told you the truth...Every barracks had sandbags close to to all the doors on the first floor....When the monsoons or typhoons came the sandbags were used on all the ground level doors to keep the water from coming in. It's humid here in the South but nothing like Okinawa. I worked on the flight line and when I went there I weighed about 185....came back about around 150 and I hate like a horse while stationed there.

Okinawa is a very interesting place with a interesting culture. I enjoyed being stationed there and seeing the island from one end to the other. Can't say I've ever wanted to go back.

I just want to see my birthplace
Being born there affected my military time,,,I had to have a top secret clearance for my MOS and I was on security hold for 8 months bc they had to investigate my birth place. Turned out well though, when I got my clearance instead of Augsburg Germany for my permanent duty base, I got to go to Medina AF base in San Antonio for my final 20 months and only went TDY overseas 3x for digital film pickup runs.
"Skate-city" tour.

Let's find out.
How old do you think I am ?
Would have no idea. This day and time age seems to have no rules in the dating game. (if it ever did) However, I bet I have you in the age department and dating at any age with my wife of 54 years, well my time on earth would be over faster than this damn "19" could take me. 54 years, I bet that is longer than you are old!! Stay well!!

I just want to see my birthplace
Being born there affected my military time,,,I had to have a top secret clearance for my MOS and I was on security hold for 8 months bc they had to investigate my birth place. Turned out well though, when I got my clearance instead of Augsburg Germany for my permanent duty base, I got to go to Medina AF base in San Antonio for my final 20 months and only went TDY overseas 3x for digital film pickup runs.
"Skate-city" tour.

Sometimes you just have to put in the request for time off and book the flight.

Coach, if and when the time is right in your life, go back and see where you were not only born, but spent your formative years...In most cases it is very good for the soul, especially if you have your child (no matter their age) with you.

There's a good show on the Twilight Zone called, "Walking Distance"... It was in the first season of TZ, and covers going back to visit the place of one's youth, and even meeting your parents again... (On Netflix)

I guarantee you it will get your mind thinking....
The_Twilight_Zone_Walking_Distance_TV-756898773-s200.jpg

There is a movie on the movie section of Showtime, I believe, called "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" that is one of the best movies I have seen in years.....If you have not seen it, stop reading now and see it, but for those that have seen it, the last 15 minutes of that film is Hollywood Gold!

Watching those murdering punks, get the hell kicked out of them, made my year....I know it did not happen that way, but damn, it was so satisfying watching each one of them potential killers get what they came to give....I wish I had seen the film in the theater....The crowd had to have cheered when they met their fate so damn wonderfully....

When Rick Dalton came out to the pool, with his flame thrower ready for action, I actually cheered aloud here in the house alone....Hell of a good scene....

I prefer films where the bad guys get slaughtered.....Hell of a film!
MV5BOTg4ZTNkZmUtMzNlZi00YmFjLTk1MmUtNWQwNTM0YjcyNTNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg2NjQwMDQ@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
What are you binge watching on television?

I've been watching Dexter again on Netflix....The pacing of the shows is just right...They keep the suspense at a high level, and the excitement element is pitch perfect.
market.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FabSmokyVol
What are you binge watching on television?

I've been watching Dexter again on Netflix....The pacing of the shows are just right...They keep the suspense at a high level, and the excitement element is pitch perfect.
market.jpg

I have been watching Boston Legal...
Denny Crane

Alan Shore

FYI I need Freak or some administrator to message me about my password info. Am having to use an old computer to access the site because my iPhone keeps saying my password is wrong? beats the sam Hill out of me because I've never had that problem before. I'm scared to log out of the forum on this old computer because who knows if it will re-accept my old "password". thanks in advance! GULE

VN Store

Back