Potpourri

The Firm had been on 5-6 times here in the past 2 weeks. My brother in law was a extra in the movie....He was in the tram coming from Mud Island when Cruise was being chased. When the tram stops on the Memphis/city side and Cruise comes off the the tram my BIL is standing in the doorway with a crap eating grin on his face.

They did a god job on that book, as so with "The Client" and "The Rainmaker"

Bridesmaids
Talladaga Nights
My Fair Lady
Christmas Vacation - “If that cat’s got nine lives, he’s done spent’um all”
Key Largo - really any black and white movies which starts with a map
The Philadelphia Story - Katherine Hepburn version
Despicable Me - Because I’m happy
The Greatest Showman
Goldfinger - Shirley Bassey yes
The Italian Job

I need to rewatch these!!
What a great thread!!

You mentioned Dame Shirley Bassey:

Reactions: GameTime
Interesting tid bit....

In the movie Top Gun, in 1978 I got pulled over by a cop in the very spot that the Cruise character pulls over his motorcycle to meet Charlie, his instructor and love interest in the film....

This was 8 years before the movie was made...When I saw the movie, I was stunned at that scene....I knew that spot all too well.....The hill right behind them is called Laurel Hill...It is the steepest grade hill in San Diego...I grew up on Reynard Way, which is at the bottom of Laurel Hill to the right...
004.png

I remember San Diego well. As a 21 year old I did some much needed "growing up" while stationed at the Naval Recruit Command. 10 63 -2 64. (long time ,Christmas Leave in middle). During a weekend that saw the world change, I along with others in the late mid stage of boot camp sat on packed sea bags waiting to go to sea and likely war. Two things that cause me to remember this time when I a see something TV or hear this song:

The blast of big naval guns - on that weekend the fleet stood off coast and every hour fired a volley, all weekend long.
The song - For some reason you could hear Washington Square played by every music station on the radio for at least the whole weekend.
I hear these things now days and it sends my thoughts back to Camp Decatur and the uncertainty in front of a bunch young guys.

An even dozen, in no particular order:
Casablanca
West Side Story
Grapes of Wrath
Annie Hall
Sigin in the Rain
The Godfather
2001 Space Odyssey
Citizen Kane
North by Northwest
Duck Soup
All the President's Men
Shawshank Redemption
I think you are dating yourself.;)

Coach, CR was one of the few movies I actually just left right in the middle of....It was so bad...I was at the drive in and my date said get me out of here before she destroys more brain cells watching it....To this day, I have never seen the whole movie.
51b4TZROoYL._SY445_.jpg
AND what did you two brainieaks do after you left?:rolleyes:

A little Grammy's trivia....

In 1979 some friends of mine that lived in Knoxville, called me in San Diego and invited me to go to the Grammy's with them.....They had VIP tickets because they were related to a famous group, but the band was on tour and could not make it, so my friends invited me.....

We arrived at the Shrine Auditorium, in Los Angeles, in a big, long black limo...We looked the part of rock stars...I was waving at people like I was Elvis...It was a blast....People on the red carpet would ask us our names, but we all just smiled and waved....Had great seats and had one hell of a good time....

I learned that night, at the after awards party, to always say, "Good to see you again" This way the person thought they knew you, and didn't want to question you about whatever....If they did ask a question, just smile and move on to the next person and keep circulating....

It was one of the few nights I actually drank to relax.....The bubbles in the champagne made me very ill.....I was wasted, but still functional...

The next morning, whenever it was, we awoke with 3 girls we did not know, and they did not know us either....It was ruff explaining to them we were not rock stars....They were really upset with us.....I still don't know how we got back to the Hotel.

The clock struck 12 and we weren't rock stars anymore....But it was a fun lifetime memory, just the same...
giphy.gif
Helluva story!!

Reactions: Tnphil
Gold Finger has always been my favorite Bond movie, had a lot of spy gadgets and the car was one of the stars of the movie. One amazing thing to me is, that movie was made in 1964 and how they got away with naming the lead female character Pussy Galore is still a mystery. It was several yrs after it came out that I was old enough to see it but had heard about all the great stuff in the movie by then.

Some new goals to attempt during the incarceration:

1. Learn rudimentary Spanish.

2. Learn basic guitar chords.

3. Exercise on a regular schedule.

4. Contact/check on at least 3 friends or family members/families each week.

Also, try to send cards and little pick-them-ups to kids and elderly folks) and try to find some other ways to lighten loads of overburdened parents.

Last edited:
Some new goals to attempt during the incarceration:

1. Learn rudimentary Spanish.

2. Learn basic guitar chords.

3. Exercise on a regular schedule.

4. Contact/check on at least 3 friends or family members/families each week.

Also, try to send cards and little pick-them-ups to kids and elderly folks) and try to find some other ways to lighten loads of overburdened parents.

And if no one else has told you
1586968800166.jpeg

Reactions: krichunaka
CJ, one of Grisham's novels that did not make it to the screen is "The Partner". If you run across it, take a chance and read it. I have read it twice and I could read it a third time.

CJ, one of Grisham's novels that did not make it to the screen is "The Partner". If you run across it, take a chance and read it. I have read it twice and I could read it a third time.

I will look for it at McKays,,,thanks

Someone come up with a new topic for this thread e.g..
  • Best childhood memory
  • The one thing I could never figure out how to do on my smart-phone/or/computer
  • Best vacation I ever had
  • Most thrilling experience
  • the best friend I ever had story
  • ??

I have to say...I love traveling. I was supposed to be in Japan and South Korea right now for holiday, if not for COVID. I'm looking forward to when I can plan my next vacation.

I have to say...I love traveling. I was supposed to be in Japan and South Korea right now for holiday, if not for COVID. I'm looking forward to when I can plan my next vacation.

I want to go to my birthplace some day
Born in Okinawa, Japan during the occupation in 1960. there for my first two years
always wanted go see it

I want to go to my birthplace some day
Born in Okinawa, Japan during the occupation in 1960. there for my first two years
always wanted go see it
My niece is in the AF, and she recently moved to Okinawa. I was planning on seeing her while I was there. Personally, I love Japan. I'd love to live there, but the language barrier would be an issue if I tried to look for job opportunities there.

My niece is in the AF, and she recently moved to Okinawa. I was planning on seeing her while I was there. Personally, I love Japan. I'd love to live there, but the language barrier would be an issue if I tried to look for job opportunities there.

I was born on Kadena AF base,,,is that where she is

RIP John Prine, age 73. Died of Covid-19 complications in Nashville.

So many great songs (who doesn't love Angel Fom Montgomery?).

Aside from his better-known songs, we love little gems such as Unwed Fathers, The Bottomless Lake, In Spite of Ourselves, and It's a Big Ol' Goofy World.

VN Store

Back