Potpourri

my fair lady,,,Pygmalion

We coaches look for our Audrey Hepburn in the basketball world

Where they take the cockney-Eliza Dolittle and make her a lady
I take an athlete and make her a basketballer

Seen em all. When I think of spartacus I can't help but think of "Airplane"

Let me think on it a few minutes and come up with 5 sure fires...didja watch tim and harvey y et...I laughed so hard I cried

Coach, why does Spartacus remind you of airplane? Hold it, I just realized...."Joey, do you like movies about gladiators??....Very good Coach.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
Hope Kellie can do the same!

In Atlanta, I had a challenge like that
Samantha
I had been friends with her Dad for 3 years, Sam grew and grew. Artsy, and not an aggressive bone in her body.
12 yrs old and 5'11"...lanky and pure girlie-girl

Her Dad and I were sitting on his patio/balcony and Sam walked up and asked if she could go to a friend's house
when she left, I asked him if she played any sport
He looked at me, dumbfounded and said "Sam?...No way...she played UPWARDS once, but it was a catastrophy"

After talking with him, I talked with Samantha about it,,, she, being tall, was asked all the time about it and wondered if she would enjoy it but never wanted to go through an experience like upwards.
I told Dennis,,"If I work with her for one year, she will start in her 8th grade MS team"

Samantha was as intrigued as he was...She had a hidden desire to play but the upwards experience made her walk away from her then-dream

it was on
Samantha, through a choice of her own making, became my Pygmalion BB player
A year of working with her in a competitive-rec team in the winter and on my 12u AAU team during the summer and she accomplished the feat. (2002)

She played that one year for Pope Middle school as an 8th grader, started a few games, and never touched a ball again.
In her Sophomore year, I asked her why she didn't continue and did we force her to do it?
She answered no, I loved it, , , I just wanted to see if "I" could do it!

A great experience for me, and for her!

Reactions: GameTime
Bridesmaids
Talladaga Nights
My Fair Lady
Christmas Vacation - “If that cat’s got nine lives, he’s done spent’um all”
Key Largo - really any black and white movies which starts with a map
The Philadelphia Story - Katherine Hepburn version
Despicable Me - Because I’m happy
The Greatest Showman
Goldfinger - Shirley Bassey yes
The Italian Job

I need to rewatch these!!
What a great thread!!

Lucy, in Goldfinger, Tania Mallet, the girl in the white mustang, died 2 weeks ago....Although she was not overly pretty in Goldfinger, with her hair down, she was more than spectacular....
TELEMMGLPICT000011337632_trans%2B%2BLW53-k6pAFzWQgBtbADRgKRAPC0E0Mls48LVN8sALbM.jpeg

Bridesmaids is also a killer of a movie....When I'm channel hopping I can't go by this one...The bridal shop scene is pure gold...."Look Away!"
Bridesmaids%2BGIF-downsized_large%2B%25282%2529.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Bret178
I remember the first time I saw Adrienne was in Swamp Thing. Tough, and beautiful. Androgynous...She was one of the two female racers on Cannonball Run, but it was Swamp Thing that I remember her most for
Three so far anonymous people are claiming a new record for the "Cannonball Run". 26 hours, 38 minutes, and 41 seconds from midtown Manhattan to Redondo Beach, CA. An average speed of about 107 MPH, corona virus aided. There is some discussion about whether or not this is the proper time to do it.

Three so far anonymous people are claiming a new record for the "Cannonball Run". 26 hours, 38 minutes, and 41 seconds from midtown Manhattan to Redondo Beach, CA. An average speed of about 107 MPH, corona virus aided. There is some discussion about whether or not this is the proper time to do it.

The funniest part of that movie was when Terry Bradshaw/Mel Tillis' car crashed into the pool and he come up stuttering....trying to say "perfect"

OK, I'll start the first endeavor...most cherished sports memorabilia.
(must have pic to validate...)
1586841364270.png
1910 Murad Tobacco Card
In 1910 Murad put out a set of 50 collegiate cards. They put a different sport for each university. They picked Polo for UT, after all this was pre-General days.
You can tell by the picture I'm almost as old as the card.

A little Goldfinger movie trivia....

According to Auric Goldfinger's plan, Operation Grand Slam was to explode an atom bomb in the vaults of Fort Knox Kentucky, making the total gold supply of the United States radioactive and useless for 58 years....Since this plan was to take place in 1964, this is 2020, which is 54 years to date.....Only 4 more years to go....Been a long time since I saw that movie, at the movies...I forget her name? LOL!
giphy.gif

View attachment 271518
1910 Murad Tobacco Card
In 1910 Murad put out a set of 50 collegiate cards. They put a different sport for each university. They picked Polo for UT, after all this was pre-General days.
You can tell by the picture I'm almost as old as the card.

I give you a grade of 10, the card gets a 9.5...cool
here's mine...

20200413_195528.jpg20200413_195612.jpg
There were 144 of these made for the women's Olympic tournament. This one has never touched a floor.

Reactions: 37L1
The funniest part of that movie was when Terry Bradshaw/Mel Tillis' car crashed into the pool and he come up stuttering....trying to say "perfect"

Coach, CR was one of the few movies I actually just left right in the middle of....It was so bad...I was at the drive in and my date said get me out of here before she destroys more brain cells watching it....To this day, I have never seen the whole movie.
51b4TZROoYL._SY445_.jpg

Coach, CR was one of the few movies I actually just left right in the middle of....It was so bad...I was at the drive in and my date said get me out of here before she destroys more brain cells watching it....To this day, I have never seen the whole movie.
51b4TZROoYL._SY445_.jpg

It was never meant to be a date movie,,,it was pure ol fun...not a redeeming quality within it...kinda like Porkys...just meant to be laughed at.

Mt first car was a 1972 firebird ,,, all I wanted to see was speed, not a story

A little Grammy's trivia....

In 1979 some friends of mine that lived in Knoxville, called me in San Diego and invited me to go to the Grammy's with them.....They had VIP tickets because they were related to a famous group, but the band was on tour and could not make it, so my friends invited me.....

We arrived at the Shrine Auditorium, in Los Angeles, in a big, long black limo...We looked the part of rock stars...I was waving at people like I was Elvis...It was a blast....People on the red carpet would ask us our names, but we all just smiled and waved....Had great seats and had one hell of a good time....

I learned that night, at the after awards party, to always say, "Good to see you again" This way the person thought they knew you, and didn't want to question you about whatever....If they did ask a question, just smile and move on to the next person and keep circulating....

It was one of the few nights I actually drank to relax.....The bubbles in the champagne made me very ill.....I was wasted, but still functional...

The next morning, whenever it was, we awoke with 3 girls we did not know, and they did not know us either....It was ruff explaining to them we were not rock stars....They were really upset with us.....I still don't know how we got back to the Hotel.

The clock struck 12 and we weren't rock stars anymore....But it was a fun lifetime memory, just the same...
giphy.gif

Been a long time since I saw that movie, at the movies...I forget her name? LOL!
giphy.gif

One of the all-time great 007 moments...Bond's reaction to her name when Ms. Galore introduces herself:

"I must be dreaming."

RIP to actress Honor Blackman, who passed away at age 94 early this month. Ms. Blackman was a working actress up until 2015!

Her many fans also know her as the original "Avengers" girl, playing tough Cathy Gale for two years before Diana Rigg came on as the inimitable Mrs. Peel.

Last edited:
Lucy, in Goldfinger, Tania Mallet, the girl in the white mustang, died 2 weeks ago....Although she was not overly pretty in Goldfinger, with her hair down, she was more than spectacular....
TELEMMGLPICT000011337632_trans%2B%2BLW53-k6pAFzWQgBtbADRgKRAPC0E0Mls48LVN8sALbM.jpeg

Bridesmaids is also a killer of a movie....When I'm channel hopping I can't go by this one...The bridal shop scene is pure gold...."Look Away!"
Bridesmaids%2BGIF-downsized_large%2B%25282%2529.gif
Had no idea she died. Pretty girl, looks a bit like Jodie Foster.
Shirley Bassey Goldfinger is just pure classic 1960s. Next favorite is Adele Skyfall. Of course Adele could sing anything and it would be amazing.
Yes, bridal shop scene is movie gold. I laugh until I cry when I see it. Melissa McCarthy with the puppies!! She is just so uncomfortably hysterical!

Respect to all-time great Bond composer John Barry. His music was so "big" and distinctive. The bold, bombastic brass in such classic scores as Goldfinger and Thunderball set the tone for decades. A personal favorite score is On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Aside from John Williams's association with the Star Wars franchise, hard to think of a single composer more closely identified with a single film series. The classic Bond "intro" music is all Barry.

In addition to his many, many Bond scores, Barry did incredible work on films such as Zulu and Out of Africa.

And I could listen to the Dances With Wolves soundtrack all day long.

Last edited:
Did you know Stephen King wrote Shawshank?

In addition to Shawshank Redemption, Different Seasons also had the stories that the movies Stand By Me and Apt Pupil were based on. I remember how surprised I was to learn that Stand By Me was a Stephen King story.

Love his writing. have you read many of his books?
When I was a teenager. Skeleton Crew and Different Seasons were my two favorites. Read most of his well known stuff...The Shining, It, Christine, Carrie, Pet Semetary...but haven't read any of his stuff past the early 90s at least.

Reactions: T_Vol376
When I was a teenager. Skeleton Crew and Different Seasons were my two favorites. Read most of his well known stuff...The Shining, It, Christine, Carrie, Pet Semetary...but haven't read any of his stuff past the early 90s at least.

I read the shining, carrie, cujo, tommyknockers, stand by me, the green mile, it and salem's lot...then I started reading John Grisham. Same with me on when I quit reading him,,,started college in 94 and my influences changed

I read the shining, carrie, cujo, tommyknockers, stand by me, the green mile, it and salem's lot...then I started reading John Grisham. Same with me on when I quit reading him,,,started college in 94 and my influences changed
Never a huge fan of Grisham. I only remember reading The Firm and The Client. I went a long period of time where I stopped reading books for pleasure, only for academic or professional development. When I started flying weekly for work, I made it a point to read a book every week. I was jumping between genres so much I don't think I have a defined "taste" in books anymore.

Reactions: travis929
My 10 alltime favorite films

10. Fast And Furious
9. Dr. No
8. Forrest Gump
7. A View To A Kill
6. The Firm
5. The Wizard Of Oz
4. Christmas Vacation
3.Vegas Vacation
2.Bourne Identity
1. Ocean's Eleven
The Firm has been on 5-6 times here in the past 2 weeks. My brother in law was a extra in the movie....He was in the tram coming from Mud Island when Cruise was being chased. When the tram stops on the Memphis/city side and Cruise comes off the the tram my BIL is standing in the doorway with a crap eating grin on his face.

Last edited:
Reactions: savannahfan
Never a huge fan of Grisham. I only remember reading The Firm and The Client. I went a long period of time where I stopped reading books for pleasure, only for academic or professional development. When I started flying weekly for work, I made it a point to read a book every week. I was jumping between genres so much I don't think I have a defined "taste" in books anymore.

I feel ya
And now I am on the other end of the print.
I am intent on writing a book on coaching women/girls.
"The Intricacies of Coaching the Female Basketball Athlete"(With an instructional DVD of my techniques for both team and individual training
I have over 500 pages of handwritten notes, more that a thousand emails, a couple hundred quotes, over 400 drills, etc...It is quite overwhelming,

I want to do this though...I have researched in the internet and libraries for books on exclusively training females and most of what is out there is experiences books "How we won the championship" or "that great team"...Almost nothing on the actual mental, psychological and physiological aspects and differences and even less on particulars on training them.

There are a ton of avenues I want to cover,,,Team Moms,,, Daddy coaches,,,Mommy coaches,,,,Why a male can say the exact words a female coach does and it gets the opposite reaction,,,How to recognize a coach v a perv,,,Growth changes, how a boy goes through two and girls go through three,,,,,personal experiences,,,working with prodigies,,,etc,,,etc.

It is quite the endeavor

VN Store

Back