Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

So I read that anyone who is getting unemployment benefits will get an extra $600/wk in federal $ from the stimulus bill. That means some people will actually make more money going on unemployment than they were making before?

Reactions: GAVol and allvol123
So I read that anyone who is getting unemployment benefits will get an extra $600/wk in federal $ from the stimulus bill. That means some people will actually make more money going on unemployment than they were making before?

All true

Reactions: Orangeburst
From NY Times:

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said on Tuesday that 731 more people had died in New York State, the largest single-day increase in deaths since the crisis began. The grim tally followed two days in which new deaths dropped below 600.
The governor emphasized that death was a lagging indicator in the fight against the virus, and pointed to a falling rate of hospitalizations and said that the state was still projecting that the spread of the virus was plateauing.
The number of virus patients in intensive care units grew in the last 24 hours by less than 100, the smallest increase since March 21, the governor said.
Here are the statistics from his morning briefing:
  • Deaths in New York State: 5,489, up by 731 from Monday morning.
  • Confirmed cases: 138,836 statewide, up from 130,689 on Monday.
  • Currently hospitalized: 17,493 people statewide, up from 16,837.
  • In intensive care: 4,593, up by 89 from 4,504 on Monday.
Mr. Cuomo said that increases in hospital beds and the number of health care providers working had helped New York to balance its patient load and help ensure that no one facility was overburdened.

I've yet to understand why public school teacher would get stimulus checks. They are still being paid.

Yes but in most states the extra $600 hasn't kicked in yet, talking to my HR person for my guys here it's still about 2 weeks away from starting here in TN

From NY Times:

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said on Tuesday that 731 more people had died in New York State, the largest single-day increase in deaths since the crisis began. The grim tally followed two days in which new deaths dropped below 600.
The governor emphasized that death was a lagging indicator in the fight against the virus, and pointed to a falling rate of hospitalizations and said that the state was still projecting that the spread of the virus was plateauing.
The number of virus patients in intensive care units grew in the last 24 hours by less than 100, the smallest increase since March 21, the governor said.
Mr. Cuomo said that increases in hospital beds and the number of health care providers working had helped New York to balance its patient load and help ensure that no one facility was overburdened.
Almost like he shouldn't have been telling his citizens this was nothing and to go see a play or a movie.

I think the idea is to encourage spending/stimulating the consumer economy but surely they know most of that is going straight to savings for most people.

I've yet to understand why public school teacher would get stimulus checks. They are still being paid.
People are receiving them on the basis of their 2019 (or 2018 if they haven't filed yet) adjusted gross income, not whether or not they lost their job.

Rightly or wrongly, this wasn't a targeted stimulus at all. Same on the business side...small businesses can get the payroll protection loans/grants whether or not they need them. It's free money for most of them.

My wife is a teacher and I'll tell you right now her work load has tripled since schools have closed. She is required to make contact with every student 4 times per week, document every contact and its nature, prepare online assignments for every class 3-4 times weekly, coordinate this with other teachers on the same grade level and then be available to assist students who email and call. And trust me she gets calls from students and their parents at all hours of the day. Trust me, teachers are working theirs asses off right now...or at least my wife is.

Again, it's to encourage consumerism. It isn't necessarily aimed at the unemployed.

It is big govt waste as usual. If you are clearly a part of a large and definable group that is not being negatively impacted financially, then you shouldnt be getting anything. They are already increasing their disposable income by still getting paid and having lower expenses such as gas, food, entertainment, etc.

From NY Times:

Part of the reason for this is that a large percentage of the people on ventilators are not expected to survive, but they maintain for awhile. So deaths will trail behind other plateaus.

VN Store

Back