Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some of you are choosing to ignore the slippery slope we've stumbled upon. An overreaching government can be dangerous and oppressive, and is something our FFs fought against.

first-they-came-martin-niemoller.jpg
They were arguing about SOMETHING.
- Cockroach

Reactions: franklinpence
Every country in Latin America and the Caribbean now has Covid-19 positive cases and South Florida also with 90+ temp everyday is hit harder then anywhere in Florida wih 60% of the cases and new ones everyday and more death. I guess it's time to throw out the window this flu virus thing won't survive in hot, humid and high temps because it is surviving and getting worse everyday.

i would imagine that w/or w/out these mandates, lifestyle probably doesn't change much for folks in really rural areas. and that's not an indictment of that lifestyle...just an acknowledgement of the big differences in the two demographics.

That may be true in extreme rural areas, but reality is that most of our fan base falls somewhere in between those two extremes. Frankly most of this country falls in that middle if they aren't on a coast or in a major MSA. Ironically most of the problem is on the coasts and in the MSA's and that's where the governmental exec's making these calls and where the activists are denouncing them if they don't "act."

Having one group of people making decisions for a group living with a different reality has never ended well in this country.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I think some of you are choosing to ignore the slippery slope we've stumbled upon. An overreaching government can be dangerous and oppressive, and is something our FFs fought against.

first-they-came-martin-niemoller.jpg

I recommend folks go read some accounts from front-line medical workers in New York. If you want to know what we're trying to prevent, it's right there.

When we get to the other side of this thing, I'll be right there with you, but right now, they are coming for our hospital beds, and our ventilators. They are coming for our doctors and our nurses and our physician assistants. They are coming for our paramedics and our medical students. They are coming for our dust masks and our bandannas. They are coming for plastic sheets. And they are coming for our refrigerator trucks.

The only way this slows down is for people to sit at home or at least away from other people--not just the ones that want to. I understand the concern of personal liberty. I really, truly do. There are measures that come up in Congress all the time that look to curtail personal freedoms in the name of some protection or another.

This isn't one of those times. This isn't the flu. It overruns local resources. This forces medical staff to choose who lives and who dies. It encourages our elderly to give up their treatments so maybe the doctors and nurses can save a younger patient.

We shouldn't be here, but we are, and we can decide how we want to help. And, yes, sometimes that's by making people not get together for a short while.

British subjects? Oh that’s right, they’re not.

Actually, they still consider themselves subject to the Queen. Not actually ruled by her, but they see her as their queen. That's why she's on their money. Canada is part of the Commonwealth.

Actually, they still consider themselves subject to the Queen. Not actually ruled by her, but they see her as their queen. That's why she's on their money. Canada is part of the Commonwealth.
Must suck...or it doesn’t. Why’d Canada allow Harry and Meg to leave for the US...since they’re not really free?

Must suck...or it doesn’t. Why’d Canada allow Harry and Meg to leave for the US...since they’re not really free?
Keep ignoring the point. You're gonna believe what you believe. I'm gonna believe what I believe. Allowing the government to mandate away civil liberties is dangerous, even if it is in the best interest. When you start to surrender rights, it's easier for them to take them away. You can disagree. That's fine. But history has shown where it can lead. Not where it will lead, but where it can lead. It's not wise to trust blindly in government.

Keep ignoring the point. You're gonna believe what you believe. I'm gonna believe what I believe. Allowing the government to mandate away civil liberties is dangerous, even if it is in the best interest. When you start to surrender rights, it's easier for them to take them away. You can disagree. That's fine. But history has shown where it can lead. Not where it will lead, but where it can lead. It's not wise to trust blindly in government.

My guess is that very few of us around these parts blindly trust our government, but we also have a strong Volunteer spirit that drives us to do right by our fellow humans.

My guess is that very few of us around these parts blindly trust our government, but we also have a strong Volunteer spirit that drives us to do right by our fellow humans.
I've said following the government recommendations is wise. I just disagree with them taking those recommendations and making them mandatory.

That may be true in extreme rural areas, but reality is that most of our fan base falls somewhere in between those two extremes. Frankly most of this country falls in that middle if they aren't on a coast or in a major MSA. Ironically most of the problem is on the coasts and in the MSA's and that's where the governmental exec's making these calls and where the activists are denouncing them if they don't "act."

Having one group of people making decisions for a group living with a different reality has never ended well in this country.
i mean, as a general rule, yeah, i agree. i see it at work play out badly all the time. i don't agree with it there, and i don't agree with it in our governemnt....typically.

i think though, part of the problem here is the abolute unique, and unprecedented for our time, set of circumstances this particular crisis presents...not just here, but globally.

it doesn't sound like there's much of an appreciation by some for just what kind of impact that thing could have (and it's already leaving it's mark well placed, no matter what happens from here) if it's not put in check.

so while there may be some folks that don't like this or don't like that along the way, i'd say that likely is a selfishly motivated stance to take, because this thing simply doesn't go away unless the overwhelming majority of people actively participate in stopping it from spreading. and i'm sorry, people in generall are not going to get there on their own.....what good would that preacher's rights be, if 20% of his congregation winds up infected, and they infect others, and some % of those wind up dead? his right holds enough weight that shouldn't matter????? and keep in mind...he can still preach all he wants....no one's preventing that....just can't congregate.....

so, yeah, for this most extreme of circumstances...i'm willing to to make an exception........this isn't an every day type of thing, and it's something that the world hasn't had to deal with on this scale, all at the same time....in...well a very long time, if ever.

for now...stop being dumb....cause if you think this is bad....if people keep doing dumb things, then we'll really see what the governement's capable from a "one size fits all" standpoint....

Attempting to respect the delicate boundaries you established. You introduced Hitler and the Revolutionary War into our conversation. So we get mass extermination and unfair taxation out of 1200 individuals sharing droplet nuclei? Let me know when your POINT quits spreading like a pandemic.

Attempting to respect the delicate boundaries you established. You introduced Hitler and the Revolutionary War into our conversation. So we get mass extermination and unfair taxation out of 1200 individuals sharing droplet nuclei? Let me know when your POINT quits spreading like a pandemic.
lol If nothing else, you are amusing.

I've said following the government recommendations is wise. I just disagree with them taking those recommendations and making them mandatory.
to what end?

what is the goal? there is a very sepcific circumstance that exists. so, in response to that circumstance, what should the goal be for our government?

then, what's the threshold (if there is one) that makes it ok for the government to step in? infection rates? mortailtiy rates? something else?

should the government also abstain from sending the checks to people? afterall, they wern' t made to close, many shut down on their own before any mandates were put in place, they made the choice. so why is the government stepping in there?

where do we stand on the government's involvement in medical supply management? should they get involved with NY and other states so medical companies won't allow bidding and priority orders? or is it ok, so long as everyone choose whether or not to participate in that bidding process?

at what point, if there is one, does the ability to choose not be the most imporant thing?

yeah...slippery slopes are a bi**ch.

and all we're doing here is going from extreme to extreme. this set of questions here is about as likely to happen as we are to become the next facsist state as a result of the measures being taken right now as you've suggested....

the truth: people do need parents, and for right now, we've been grounded. and we're being told it's for our own good. we didn't like it when our real parents told us that when we were kids, and we like it less now.

it doesn't make it any less true though.....

and when it's over, we won't be on our way to becoming the next Nazi Germany......preachers will go back to preaching. we'll all go back to making poor choices for oursleves....and in less than a few months, we'll all be arguing over something else.

Don't dare go to a church holding a service but go ahead to Walmart enmasse to get all the tp you can..................Like I have stated, I think any church holding services right now is foolish. But rushing out to a Walmart, Target, Kroger or wherever and crossing paths with many other shoppers and then going thru checkouts with people back to back can be considered just as foolish if you think about. So we going to start arresting store mgrs if they don't have each customer at least 6' apart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back