glad we fired Holly for this

Lady Vols= Minnesota Golden Gopher football
Lady Vols are done, quite possibly forever aka Gopher football.

I’m just curious why you are citing MN football for your comparison - you are aware that the Gophers have been improving the last few years, and was ranked as high as 7 last season? And beat Auburn in the Outback Bowl?

Kellie really has them peaking at the right time, 4 losses in a row (about to be 5) but at least this one was in single digits. You managed to:
  1. Let the same, correctable, issues that have not improved all season cost you another one.
  2. Let the one player who could beat you go off for 37, and make it look easy.
  3. Have completely broken the freshmen.
  4. Demonstrate your typical brilliant late game execution.
Well done. Can't wait to see what you have in store for Arkansas...
I have to ask. Were you a fan of Holly Warlick? Do you feel the team was well coached and developed to the full extent of their potential under the previous coaching staff? Were the game time management superb by former CHW? "Enquiring Minds Want to Know"

Kellie really has them peaking at the right time, 4 losses in a row (about to be 5) but at least this one was in single digits. You managed to:
  1. Let the same, correctable, issues that have not improved all season cost you another one.

Me too! Holly seriously needed to go. It was years late but glad it happened.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Okay, then. We got the same results for half the money.

Simply put: If I was an AD looking to hire a coach to rescue his women's basketball program from the depths of mediocrity, I'd certainly call Walz before I called Kellie.

Simply put: If I was an AD looking to hire a coach to rescue his women's basketball program from the depths of mediocrity, I'd certainly call Walz before I called Kellie.

Better Call Walz?

You do know that Walz's salary last year was $1.475 million plus an additional $110, 000 in performance bonuses.

You actually think Fulmer was prepared to top that? And that Walz was ready to leave a stable program where he's been since 2007 in order to attempt a rebuild? Not too many women's coaches do that. Usually, as with Mulkey and Goestenkors, it's when they feel unappreciated and that their current school isn't making more than a token effort to retain them.

Louisville responded to Walz in a big way in order to keep him. He leveraged them the way several football coaches whom we pursued did to get a salary boost.

Last edited:
Reactions: EarlVolFan
I think if we had kept Holly you could tack on a loss to Vandy, maybe Georgia, and Missouri since we lost to all three with a much more experience team last year. I think Notre Dame even with their bad team finds a way to beat us. I look for us to be around 13 and 12 if she had stayed and the same players had left.

The Walz is great is laughable. He has been at Louisville for ten years and still finds a way to lose to .500 teams at least a couple time a season. I was hoping UT Martin would win that game one missed free throw from defeating him and giving him one of the worse losses of the season or ever. It still took him and Louisville double overtime to close them out. His teams are very talented much more than what we have yet he loses almost as many games. He will have at least two three more losses maybe more this season. When he goes up against other great coaches he loses like 1 and 15 versus Geno and 4 and 12 versus McGraw. I am so glad he isn't here he is no where near the best coach you could get for 2 million dollars. I figure with this same lineup at Tennessee he would have about 11 losses right now.

UConn men's basketball had become a national power under Calhoun. Since he's been gone UConn men's basketball is completely irrelevant. I hope the same thing happens to the women's team when Geno leaves...
Yeah, I know you feel like that. too bad.

While in many aspects I am disappointed, however, there is more to rebuilding a program immediately than one may realize. Yes I know, that on paper KJH has some good players, however, that is on paper. Just because you have 5 stars does not mean you have the right players to get done what you want to do. You have to first ask yourself, did the prior coach recruit players by their stars or did she/he recruit them by their character, their leadership skills, their ability to play like a team, their physicality, did they have good basketball IQs, their ability to take over a game, are they fighters, are they high energy, etc.? At MoState KJH had no stars who were fighters, they had the fighter’s mentality and high energy. It is difficult to go into a program and automatically make them a top 25 team, when the players and the program was in a state of decline. KJH lacks that spark plug that comes off the bench and energizes the whole team. Davis is good but does not appear to be the floor general that this program needs. Lou Brown appears to be the only floor leader and Greene before her injury.

Take a serious look at our bench, few scorers, some seems lost when they are in the game, some really are not D1players. With the exception of McCoy and Burrell, when Burrell was a bench player, where are the game changers? I really don’t know if you could call either McCoy or Burrell game changers. Few coaches can come in right off the bat and cure the ills of a program headed South. Usually, it will take time and a few recruiting cycles. It might take seeking out JC players with D1 skills and graduate transfers for an immediate transformation. You have to accept the fact that the first year of a new coaches tenure may not be what you anticipated. You have to give KJH sometime because it took sometime for the program to go South and it will take a certain amount of time to get it headed in the right direction.

Last edited:
UConn men's basketball had become a national power under Calhoun. Since he's been gone UConn men's basketball is completely irrelevant. I hope the same thing happens to the women's team when Geno leaves...
I know it was with mostly Calhoun’s player, but UConn won a title after Calhoun left under Kevin Ollie.

One big reason we are losing is players like Horston. Breakaway layup just blown...plus what??? 3 others? Dear Lord...come on. How was this girl rated so high? The turnovers are one thing...one bad thing...but these missed layups are ridiculous. Its like she isn't even trying to make it. She just blindly chucks it up. So far she looks like the most overrated recruit I have ever seen in women's basketball. Maybe there have been worse...that I'm not aware of... but my gawd.

Jordan Horston is ultra-talented. The ranking services did not get it wrong. Horston’s game still begs discipline and refinement. It has to be crafted to fit within the concept of the offense. Thank heavens for Jordan Horston. Her unique athleticism has bailed out some teammates on occasion too.

(And, no, I’m not Dad.)

I think if we had kept Holly you could tack on a loss to Vandy, maybe Georgia, and Missouri since we lost to all three with a much more experience team last year. I think Notre Dame even with their bad team finds a way to beat us. I look for us to be around 13 and 12 if she had stayed and the same players had left.
Not that bad, come on.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
The Walz is great is laughable. He has been at Louisville for ten years and still finds a way to lose to .500 teams at least a couple time a season. I was hoping UT Martin would win that game one missed free throw from defeating him and giving him one of the worse losses of the season or ever. It still took him and Louisville double overtime to close them out. His teams are very talented much more than what we have yet he loses almost as many games. He will have at least two three more losses maybe more this season. When he goes up against other great coaches he loses like 1 and 15 versus Geno and 4 and 12 versus McGraw. I am so glad he isn't here he is no where near the best coach you could get for 2 million dollars. I figure with this same lineup at Tennessee he would have about 11 losses right now.

Hot dang. Now there is some true sour grape.

Think how much better sophomore Rae is than Freshman Rae or sophomore Jazz versus freshman Jazz.

No extend those improvements to their junior seasons and add improved Horston and Key (whose upside potentials are through the roof).

Factor a senior level Davis and Zaay back into the mix.

With the possible exception of the OP, we are all hoping that the LVs will finish the season strong and that they will mature fast enough to make a run in the SEC and NCAA tourneys but sometimes it takes time to transform a team.

Rushing to judgment on a first year coach is instant gratification mania (or faux fan trolling).

Example from another sport, if anyone follow pro soccer you may know that Liverpool FC (managed by Jurgen Klopp) is in the midst of what may be the most dominant performance in league history; they are on pace to mathematically win the league with two months to spare. Last season, they finished and literally had one goal gone differently in one game over a 38 game season, they would have won the title but they did win the very prestigious UEFA championship (which is a major competition across the major clubs in Europe). Klopp is now in his his 5th season. In his first season, Liverpool finished 8th and his second season they finished and again 4th in season three. There were grumblings that Klopp was not the right man for the job but he steadily adjusted the team to fit his style of "heavy metal" football (very aggressive and high energy) and now no one questions Klopp.

Sometimes it takes time and some patience from a fanbase (and institutional decision makers) to turn a team around. The worst for the LVs would be to get in a merry-go-round of coaches.

Assess Kellie at of her third season, then we will know if she is more Jurgen Klopp or a bust.

Harsh criticism for an 18 year old. You understand that she’s playing with an injured shoulder?

One big reason we are losing is players like Horston. Breakaway layup just blown...plus what??? 3 others? Dear Lord...come on. How was this girl rated so high? The turnovers are one thing...one bad thing...but these missed layups are ridiculous. Its like she isn't even trying to make it. She just blindly chucks it up. So far she looks like the most overrated recruit I have ever seen in women's basketball. Maybe there have been worse...that I'm not aware of... but my gawd.

VN Store

Back