What Other Message Boards are Saying-Post Signing Day (Florida)

There is no doubt that if Currie would have hired Mehlen, we would barely be in the top 20 in recruiting if that. Dude misses all of his targets on ESD and NSD, and wouldn't have the benefit of all of that in state talent here that he does at Fl. 17 of their recruits in this class are from FL, and 4 of their portal players are also from Fl. So glad he isn't here. He's a good coach, but he isn't coaching 20th ranked recruiting classes to SEC championships. So glad he went to Fl instead of coming here.

So Mehlen is not knocking it out of the park at easy to recruit FL? Guess the ones saying he would not make it at Tennessee were right.

A little more on Mullen’s recruiting. The FSU/UT/UGA fan narrative was, “he can’t get 5*’s.” Well, now he’s got 6 on the roster with more to come, possibly. So that one has sorta faded away.

So now it’s apparently, “he’s not knocking it out the park.” Well, he’s taken the average SBC composite player ranking on 247 from an average of 249 the three years prior to his arrival to 275 over the last two years. He’s taken the o-line from 5 or 6 barely serviceable 3-star guys, to 3-deep at every position with big time o-line recruits everywhere. He’s added real depth and talent to the D-line, maybe the most impressive position group transformation on the entire team. He’s taken the WR group from a bunch of regular Joe’s to among the deepest and talented in the country. Florida lost 4 NFL draft picks at WR from last year, yet are still absolutely loaded at WR again this year. Secondary, excellent. LB, he signed the best one in Florida this year in 5* Derrick Wingo.

So, maybe he’s not “knocking it out the park,” but he’s damn sure hitting stand-up triples.

Last edited:
There is no doubt that if Currie would have hired Mehlen, we would barely be in the top 20 in recruiting if that. Dude misses all of his targets on ESD and NSD, and wouldn't have the benefit of all of that in state talent here that he does at Fl. So glad he isn't here. He's a good coach, but he isn't coaching 20th ranked recruiting classes to SEC championships. So glad he went to Fl instead of coming here.
Amazes me how this point keeps being missed. Good coach, mediocre recruiter.....would not have been successful at Tennessee where a really good recruiter is necessary for success. And if he is able to sustain living on the transfer portal he will be the first. The fact that he is finding that necessary at easy peasy to recruit to FL should cause concern for FL fans that were hanging on to the hope that all they had to beat was GA.

There is no doubt that if Currie would have hired Mehlen, we would barely be in the top 20 in recruiting if that. Dude misses all of his targets on ESD and NSD, and wouldn't have the benefit of all of that in state talent here that he does at Fl. So glad he isn't here. He's a good coach, but he isn't coaching 20th ranked recruiting classes to SEC championships. So glad he went to Fl instead of coming here.

Alright, I’ll play along. So you’re seriously trying to make the case that 13-12 Pruitt is a better hire than Mullen? Your real question should be is he a better hire than Butch Jones as they’re neck and neck in wins/losses after two seasons at UT. Pruitt’s gotta go 18-8 over the next two years to keep pace with Jones, not sure he can pull that off. And Jones’ average recruiting class rankings are ahead of Pruitt’s.

Meanwhile, Mullen has gone 21-5, won two straight NY6 Bowl games, and most relevantly, has beaten Pruitt by a combined 81-24 in their two head to head meetings.

And regarding recruiting, I guess you’re feeling great because UT is one spot ahead of UF (for now) on Rivals, although they’re behind UF on 247 and ESPN. I’ve complimented UT’s classes, but some apparently don’t understand the concept that it’s perfectly fine for BOTH UF and UT to have good classes.

Since Mullen has been at UF, and Pruitt at UT, Mullen’s three classes have averaged #10 on 247 and #11 on Rivals. Pruitt’s classes have averaged 15th on 247 and 13th on Rivals, 5 spots behind Mullen on 247, 2 spots behind on Rivals. ESPN is even more dominant in favor of Mullen.

So, while I’m trying to congratulate you on a very solid class this year, I’m not following where you’re dumping on Mullen, without dumping even more on your own coach. And before your say “it’s Florida, he SHOULD do better,” save that nonsense. Tennessee has always been a top spot for recruits. Great facilities, great city, etc.

You keep yours, we’ll keep ours, and we both have to get it in gear to go after Georgia. UF and UT are slap-boxing compared to what those dudes are doing. Lose your denial over Mullen and Florida, if you don’t, it’s only going to make watching these future UF championships more painful.

Alright, I’ll play along. So you’re seriously trying to make the case that 13-12 Pruitt is a better hire than Mullen? Your real question should be is he a better hire than Butch Jones as they’re neck and neck in wins/losses after two seasons at UT. Pruitt’s gotta go 18-8 over the next two years to keep pace with Jones, not sure he can pull that off. And Jones’ average recruiting class rankings are ahead of Pruitt’s.

Meanwhile, Mullen has gone 21-5, won two straight NY6 Bowl games, and most relevantly, has beaten Pruitt by a combined 81-24 in their two head to head meetings.

And regarding recruiting, I guess you’re feeling great because UT is one spot ahead of UF (for now) on Rivals, although they’re behind UF on 247 and ESPN. I’ve complimented UT’s classes, but some apparently don’t understand the concept that it’s perfectly fine for BOTH UF and UT to have good classes.

Since Mullen has been at UF, and Pruitt at UT, Mullen’s three classes have averaged #10 on 247 and #11 on Rivals. Pruitt’s classes have averaged 15th on 247 and 13th on Rivals, 5 spots behind Mullen on 247, 2 spots behind on Rivals. ESPN is even more dominant in favor of Mullen.

So, while I’m trying to congratulate you on a very solid class this year, I’m not following where you’re dumping on Mullen, without dumping even more on your own coach. And before your say “it’s Florida, he SHOULD do better,” save that nonsense. Tennessee has always been a top spot for recruits. Great facilities, great city, etc.

You keep yours, we’ll keep ours, and we both have to get it in gear to go after Georgia. UF and UT are slap-boxing compared to what those dudes are doing. Lose your denial over Mullen and Florida, if you don’t, it’s only going to make watching these future UF championships more painful.
I’m not arguing with a gator fan on a Vol forum. Go back to swamp gas or wherever you’re from. We’ll see where they are as talent is evening out. How many draft picks he Mehlen had over the last 2 years. How many have we had? So let’s not act like all things have been equal. I stick to what I said.. Mehlen recruits 17-25th here at TN

They had a good class but when they all commit early and during the early signing period it makes it seem disappointing to not get the one or two to make it special....my feeling we held par with Florida and fell more behind to UGA and Bama.....on paper anyway.

I’m not arguing with a gator fan on a Vol forum. Go back to swamp gas or wherever you’re from. We’ll see where they are as talent is evening out. How many draft picks he Mehlen had over the last 2 years. How many have we had? So let’s not act like all things have been equal. I stick to what I said.. Mehlen recruits 17-25th here at TN

Personally, I think Mullen would have beaten the holy hell out of Florida the last two years if he were coaching Tennessee. I’ll leave it at that.

Congrats on your class, big talent infusion in my opinion. May take a year or two to develop, like all classes, but the pieces are there.

They had a good class but when they all commit early and during the early signing period it makes it seem disappointing to not get the one or two to make it special....my feeling we held par with Florida and fell more behind to UGA and Bama.....on paper anyway.

Very true. Florida fans have been a little let down on the signing days because the vast majority of their commits were already locked in prior to. And of course, Tae Williams literally leaving UF at the alter and running out the Church with his side chick on NSD was the biggest shocker since Dalvin Cook got us (doing the Gator chomp on social media the night before and day of signing day, only to pop for FSU).

By the way, slight disagreement, UT closed the gap on Georgia because they got similar talent in spots. Maybe not as an aggregate, but in spots they closed the gap.

Reactions: VolnJC
Personally, I think Mullen would have beaten the holy hell out of Florida the last two years if he were coaching Tennessee. I’ll leave it at that.

Congrats on your class, big talent infusion in my opinion. May take a year or two to develop, like all classes, but the pieces are there.
Personally everything you say is a bunch of gator jackin horseshit. So run along. Your comparisons make zero sense and you sound, like almost all gator fans...IGNORANT

Wrong. I said D-line and secondary hauls are ones for the ages, or certainly among the best ever at Florida, on paper. The class as a whole was very good, I wouldn’t characterize it as “one for the ages.”
Nice class but not sure I’d say one for the ages after the Powell, Floyd, Easley class. JMO

Florida folks are not happy unless they have the #1 ranked class and everyone else in the SEC has a class ranked outside the top 20.

In general, I think people are happy overall. I think Tae going to Miami was a shock, but there were a lot of DB's in this class. There was consternation about not getting a HS RB to sign and struggling with HS WR's. Britt and Manuel have academic issues so that's why they are not probably going to end up in the class and ride the lane train.

They did get Henderson at WR and Mullen works the transfer portal extremely well and got Lingard and Shorter.

But, this was a meat and potatoes class and it filled needs. That class is pretty much exclusively OL, DL, and DB. And they needed every damn one of them.

I'm happy. But, I think what most want is for Florida to land that stud skill position player from inside the state of Florida instead of losing them to Clemson and Alabama. You'd have to look over the years, but Clemson and Bama have been loaded with Florida guys at the skill positions and the Gator fan base is just tired of it.

I always enjoy these particular threads on game day. Good job!

Nice class but not sure I’d say one for the ages after the Powell, Floyd, Easley class. JMO
Also, Jaws is counting his chickens before they hatch. Mehlen’s 2019 signing class looked really good too... until 6 or 7 guys never even made it to the season and they ended up ranked like 17th. So let’s see what happens with this one.

Also, Jaws is counting his chickens before they hatch. Mehlen’s 2019 signing class looked really good too... until 6 or 7 guys never even made it to the season and they ended up ranked like 17th. So let’s see what happens with this one.
He didn’t seem to bring that up in all his Mullen worshipping posts.

Gainesville is a sh-thole town. Maybe as bad as Starkville. Will never go back

It wasn’t 6 or 7, it was 5, and two of those 5 are set to return to UF. And those 5 were offset by transfers in. So your “17th” is wishful thinking. You can’t just re-rank UF and only UF. Teams in front of and behind UF also lost recruits to grades, transfer, discipline, injury, etc. So your “17th” is nonsense. But hey, whatever makes you feel better.

VN Store

Back