What Other Message Boards are Saying-Post Signing Day (Florida)

volsrock09

I was just thinking it would be a good idea to not limit this thread to just game weeks and do a post signing day thread for each SEC school over the next couple weeks. Possibly even post spring practice. Just let me know what yall think.

I started with Florida because of the following we have on the board that seems most active from opposing fans and would help jumpstart some conversations about whether they agree or disagree with what their fans are saying on other boards.

National Signing Day Headquarters

-Alright boys. Everyone knows the routine. If any player that we were “after” commits anywhere but UF, here are some helpful things to remember:

1) He wasn’t very good.
2) He was just a luxury, we’ve got better player there anyways
3) Wasn’t a take.
4) There are better players at the position next year.
5) The staff never prioritized him.
6) Wanted to save that spot for the portal anyways.
7) He had grade concerns and couldn’t get into UF.
8) He was a head case, we don’t need that culture problem.

Smoke em if you got em fellas, it’s signing day!
-Any New info on Beckwith?
-Blake any news that would make you feel better on Tae? I have a Miami buddy who is going crazy over all the news from yesterday
-Really hope we get Tae today.. This would be a great class with him as far as overhauling the Safety position
Just saw all the CBs rolling in for Beckwith lol. Atleast we have Tae locked up
My god the meltdown if we miss on Tae. It’s gonna be real.
-Seeing the Wideman predictions to UT. Looks like they will do pretty well for themselves after turning the season around at the end.

Bigger news on Wideman is how rough FSU’s class is gonna be. Loading up on mid level 3* everywhere. Going from one of the most talented rosters in CFB to very very average fast
-They are excited to sign kids who are ranked at .84 and .85. They will be maxed out most likely for their 85 and used all their counters which is an interesting strategy from Norvell (if he has one).
I was hoping Wideman would go to Ole Miss. Tennessee is closing strong. If we hit on Avantae, and other things go as expected, the rankings will look like this:
Tier 1:
1. Bama
2. UGA
3. Clemson
Tier 2
4. Ohio State
5. LSU
Tier 3
6. aTm
7. Florida
8. Auburn
Tier 4
9. Texas
10. Tennessee
Then everyone else....
But that would put 7 SEC teams in the Top 10. Crazy.
How good is it to hear these words again from rival fan bases
-Yeah I wasn't really paying attention to how strong Vols class was shaping up. Defintely sumn to watch for.
?
-Really wanted Beckwith. Disappointed we didn't close that one.
They mean Cade Mays😊, but our OL has caught the Gators fans attention
-They also added Taylor Mays 5* OT via transfer portal. That will potentially give then 3 5 star starting offensive lineman.
-I believe they will have 4 5* stars on the O line this year. Trey Smith, Mays, Wright, and Morris.
Referring to Trey Smith “going pro”. Imagine his surprise!!
-Good decision and good news for SEC East teams. He was absolutely destroying defensive linemen in second half of the season. Will be a great pro.
-I’m glad Florida is recruiting better each year, and I’m elated Florida is getting transfers like Lingard and Shorter but it’s hard to win SEC and National Championship without elite recruiting classes.

We had the chance to close with an elite one today but again fell short.

All this as UGA continues the talent coop. Not good for the game in Jacksonville.
They REALLY wanted Avantae Williams
I’m not happy
-We can’t seem to close for *****.
-I ******** hate Ron English.
-Said last cycle Stricklin should step in.... this just proves that, f*** that friend sh*t, mullen should be worried about Jax. not making sure he is loyal to knox and English
-So we got nobody on NSD
-This whole cycle has been one of the worst closes I've ever seen from a Gator staff in recent history. Even Mac could close on layups better than Mullen. Jesus christ.
-Lol are we going to say this dumb ***** every time someone chooses a school over us. I guess every player that signed in Mullens first class was a moron since we went 4-8 the year before. Smh let’s not make excuses our recruiting needs a lot of work
-Wow what a disastrous pick. Tae’s cousin leaves Miami on the worst of terms all but trashing the staff on the way out and he still decides to go there? Recruiting never makes sense.
Embarrassing, I remember when I actually looked forward to UF recruiting
-That is the problem all the sunshine pumpers point to Clemson as an example but that’s not an accurate example. Clemson has more talent then anyone the play until the playoffs UF doesn’t. We play at least 2-4 more talented teams and that’s if we win the East. CFB is all about getting more talent and the teams normally in the playoffs are the most talented in the nation coaching aside.
-Mullen has failed to even recruit elite QBs. I know people point to Emory but I think Mullen got lucky there. plus I wouldn’t consider Emory elite coming out of highscool either. If he had landed Fields a perfect fit for his system I would be more hopeful. I think Mullens ceiling is winning a few East titles. Maybe the SEC and a playoff birth but I know longer see him winning a NC here unless everything goes our way which the odds on that are extremely low.

Overall, I think UF will be fine, but their fans generally werent happy with NSD and all the misses they had from high profile athletes this year.
@99gator, @Lawrence Wright, @Jaws your opinion on UFs/UTs recruiting classes?

This. Is. Beautiful.

Mehlen's class is a good class, but where they really made hay were the transfers they brought in. Hopefully they don't work out very well. Our class is better. I think Rivals has it right. Plus, FL is likely about to lose at least 2 of their commits and thus their ranking is going to drop some more.

Florida folks are not happy unless they have the #1 ranked class and everyone else in the SEC has a class ranked outside the top 20.

In general, I think people are happy overall. I think Tae going to Miami was a shock, but there were a lot of DB's in this class. There was consternation about not getting a HS RB to sign and struggling with HS WR's. Britt and Manuel have academic issues so that's why they are not probably going to end up in the class and ride the lane train.

They did get Henderson at WR and Mullen works the transfer portal extremely well and got Lingard and Shorter.

But, this was a meat and potatoes class and it filled needs. That class is pretty much exclusively OL, DL, and DB. And they needed every damn one of them.

I'm happy. But, I think what most want is for Florida to land that stud skill position player from inside the state of Florida instead of losing them to Clemson and Alabama. You'd have to look over the years, but Clemson and Bama have been loaded with Florida guys at the skill positions and the Gator fan base is just tired of it.

I was just thinking it would be a good idea to not limit this thread to just game weeks and do a post signing day thread for each SEC school over the next couple weeks. Possibly even post spring practice. Just let me know what yall think.

I started with Florida because of the following we have on the board that seems most active from opposing fans and would help jumpstart some conversations about whether they agree or disagree with what their fans are saying on other boards.

?

Overall, I think UF will be fine, but their fans generally werent happy with NSD and all the misses they had from high profile athletes this year.

Jaws says it's one for the ages!

This. Is. Beautiful.

Mehlen's class is a good class, but where they really made hay were the transfers they brought in. Hopefully they don't work out very well. Our class is better. I think Rivals has it right. Plus, FL is likely about to lose at least 2 of their commits and thus their ranking is going to drop some more.
What makes you say they will lose a couple recruits?

Florida folks are not happy unless they have the #1 ranked class and everyone else in the SEC has a class ranked outside the top 20.

In general, I think people are happy overall. I think Tae going to Miami was a shock, but there were a lot of DB's in this class. There was consternation about not getting a HS RB to sign and struggling with HS WR's. Britt and Manuel have academic issues so that's why they are not probably going to end up in the class and ride the lane train.

They did get Henderson at WR and Mullen works the transfer portal extremely well and got Lingard and Shorter.

But, this was a meat and potatoes class and it filled needs. That class is pretty much exclusively OL, DL, and DB. And they needed every damn one of them.

I'm happy. But, I think what most want is for Florida to land that stud skill position player from inside the state of Florida instead of losing them to Clemson and Alabama. You'd have to look over the years, but Clemson and Bama have been loaded with Florida guys at the skill positions and the Gator fan base is just tired of it.

This has killed Miami Canes too especially in South Florida. Miami used to keep these kids home but now everybody and their brother is signing SF kids and the results have shown with Miami now in the bottom of the ACC. Their fans are clueless and don't see how much Miami has dropped in talent and losing to FIU which the only thing worse was Tenn losing to freakin Georgia State!

Manual isn’t likely to qualify so that’s one. Britt also hasn’t signed yet so that’s another. Further, it’s Mehlen and Fl, they’ll probably lose more due to conduct issues too. They lost like 7 guys out of last years class

Our fans aren’t happy unless we get all our verbals signed and enrolled early, then flip every kid committed to another school who had UF in their Top 5...regardless of how many scholarships we have to offer.

UF lost a safety from South Florida who chose Miami. Ed Reed is now on Miami’s staff. Tough loss, but I understand.

Mullen continues to do very well with the transfer portal, while bringing in Top 10 classes.

Will that be enough? Time will tell.

In summary, 0-12.

Last edited:

Losing in-state skill guys to Clemson?

Why, we wouldn’t know anything about that...

I'm happy. But, I think what most want is for Florida to land that stud skill position player from inside the state of Florida instead of losing them to Clemson and Alabama and Tennessee. You'd have to look over the years, but Clemson and Bama have been loaded with Florida guys at the skill positions and the Gator fan base is just tired of it.

FTFY. Wideman. You’re welcome!

?

Only real disappointment for UF during signing day was Tae Williams picking Miami over Florida. That was supposedly a signing day layup for Florida. And let’s put it this way, UF coaches and even Williams’ own family thought he was Florida bound. Have you ever heard of this; his family brought him a cake to signing day that was orange and blue, a Gator cake. Yet, he did a number on everyone and picked Miami. The sting of that was blunted some later on when Princely Umanmielen picked Florida in a mild surprise. Everything else went pretty much as expected, inducing Beckwith to UT over UF. Beckwith will be a stud at UT, and frankly, UT was a smart move for him. Florida is set at TE with Kyle Pitts and Keon Zipperer, Beckwith fits better and plays earlier at UT, can’t fault the kid for that.

Overall, I think both classes are strong. UF’s d-line and secondary hauls are among the strongest I can ever recall at UF. I think both classes closed the gap with Georgia. I think when you add in transfers, Mayes for UT and Shorter, Cox and Lingard for Florida, Florida becomes a top 3 or 4 class, UT is right there too.

It’ll be interesting to see where Zach Evans lands, as Tennessee has been mentioned as a “strong” contender, Florida as a “possible” contender. Adding him would bolster either class on paper, even if he is a “head case.”

Jaws says it's one for the ages!

Wrong. I said D-line and secondary hauls are ones for the ages, or certainly among the best ever at Florida, on paper. The class as a whole was very good, I wouldn’t characterize it as “one for the ages.”

Reactions: gainesvol82

The two UF can possibly lose are Marc Britt and Leonard Manuel. But neither of those are included in UF’s rankings right now. Only singed recruits are included in the rankings. If you look at Rivals, those two are at the bottom and listed as “committed.” I think UF is waiting to see if they qualify. If they don’t, they probably both end up at Ole Miss. But again, that’s already cooked into the rankings so if they sign with Ole Miss, UF won’t drop anymore.

I don’t think there are any other guys in danger of not qualifying academically.

We have them all trapped in one thread...drop the bomb boys!

1426337125943886625.gif

Only real disappointment for UF during signing day was Tae Williams picking Miami over Florida. That was supposedly a signing day layup for Florida. And let’s put it this way, UF coaches and even Williams’ own family thought he was Florida bound. Have you ever heard of this; his family brought him a cake to signing day that was orange and blue, a Gator cake. Yet, he did a number on everyone and picked Miami. The sting of that was blunted some later on when Princely Umanmielen picked Florida in a mild surprise. Everything else went pretty much as expected, inducing Beckwith to UT over UF. Beckwith will be a stud at UT, and frankly, UT was a smart move for him. Florida is set at TE with Kyle Pitts and Keon Zipperer, Beckwith fits better and plays earlier at UT, can’t fault the kid for that.

Overall, I think both classes are strong. UF’s d-line and secondary hauls are among the strongest I can ever recall at UF. I think both classes closed the gap with Georgia. I think when you add in transfers, Mayes for UT and Shorter, Cox and Lingard for Florida, Florida becomes a top 3 or 4 class, UT is right there too.

It’ll be interesting to see where Zach Evans lands, as Tennessee has been mentioned as a “strong” contender, Florida as a “possible” contender. Adding him would bolster either class on paper, even if he is a “head case.”
I can see why he picked the Canes after looking at the cake.

1581109275768.png

So Mehlen is not knocking it out of the park at easy to recruit FL? Guess the ones saying he would not make it at Tennessee were right.

You have some extremist Florida fans who want to be #1 every year in recruiting like 99 and LW mentioned. Those extremists are the only folks disappointed in Mullen’s recruiting. I’m very happy with it and most Gator fans I speak with, are too. The roster and talent upgrade has been amazing in his two short years. You guys like to downplay it but what he’s done with the transfer portal to supplement his HS recruiting has been nothing short of phenomenal. The HS recruiting has been good and getting better, but any shortcomings there are more than offset with the talent he’s getting via the portal. Literally, UF’s best players on offense (Van Jefferson) and defense (Jon Greenard) were portal guys. His best returning WR (Tre Grimes) is a portal guy. He’s got role players all over the place that are portal guys. And all these 5* guys hit the field this year; Cox, Lingard and Shorter.

Mullen is slowly destroying what’s left of these rival narratives, some like you, are barely clinging on to the “he can’t recruit” by your fingernails. 😂

Last edited:

VN Store

Back