Game Thread: #23/25 LADY VOLS VS. #8/8 MISSISSIPPI STATE

When you have a big event coming up your stress level goes up and your immune system goes down. More prone to infection and you get sick.

Well that is certainly proving true and being a student athlete with the course load some of my kids take is crazy but they are troopers and we will survive and thrive

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Have people never heard of a flu vaccine? >70% of college students can't be bothered. Last week Christyn Williams was out for UConn and this week it's Davis. Maybe better now than the NCAAT.

Reactions: VolBall09
Well thanks Doc! Any good tips for my team to stay healthy lol (probably could of used this a week ago) haha

Emergen-C, Zicam and Flonase daily. Wash your hands frequently or bring hand sanitizer and give it out like candy.

Have people never heard of a flu vaccine? >70% of college students can't be bothered. Last week Christyn Williams was out for UConn and this week it's Davis. Maybe better now than the NCAAT.

So frustrating, college campuses are a nightmare for infectious diseases too. Low rates of vaccination, high stress and large amounts of people living and learning in close quarters.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
Emergen-C, Zicam and Flonase daily. Wash your hands frequently or bring hand sanitizer and give it out like candy.

Thank you! One more quick thing then I will be done. People are suggesting this elder berry (spelling no clue) is it good for your immune system ?

Mickey Dearstone addressed that. Said the team had flu shots but that the shot wasn't too effective against the strain Rennia contracted.

Mickey Dearstone addressed that. Said the team had flu shots but that the shot wasn't too effective against the strain Rennia contracted.

That's unfortunate but I'm glad to hear it was addressed proactively.

Flu vaccine doesn't work on every strain. Just because you get the shot doesn't mean you won't get the flu.

True, but having the vaccine can help stimulate your immune system which may lessen the severity of the disease even if the vaccine didn’t cover the strain of the flu you’ve contracted.

Last edited:
Thank you! One more quick thing then I will be done. People are suggesting this elder berry (spelling no clue) is it good for your immune system ?

Very little actual research on effectiveness for treating or preventing cold and flu viruses. Enough people believe it works to support at least some benefit though. Based on anecdotal patient encounters I would say it tends to work best when taken daily rather than for acute infections.

10 months...10 months is all she’s had to correct a dumpster fire. Sometimes the expectations on this board are ridiculous. She is an excellent teaching coach and given a little time and some actual SEC quality players she will yield results. You can’t take starters out if you’ve got no one else to put in. And to compare Harper to Warlick is laughable. Staley has been at So. Car. for 11 years so hardly comparable either. Give her a minute to make an impact!

You are not going to immediately bring back a program that was allowed to reduce itself to a very low level. The whole mind set had become very sad. It was simply hard to watch. Why are some posters expecting KJH to correct a bad situation in less than a year. We have too many posters whose expectations are way over the top. Bad situations are not corrected over night. Holly had seven years and failed badly. Allow KJH to recruit her own players. Development takes more time than a few posters realize, especially when you have players who have developed bad habits. It would be a miracle if KJH had come in and developed this team to beat top 10 talent. She simply cannot afford for any of her starters to get hurt. Zay being hurt has adversely affected this team and Davis being sick, we started behind the 8 ball when we went against Miss.State.

Last edited:

Hmmm. Elder berry...

Chuck Berry?
Eric Berry?
Ken Berry?
Berry Gordy?

Personally, if you want a boost to your immune system, may I suggest...

Halle Berry.

Reactions: Raebo and Lucy
Flu vaccine doesn't work on every strain. Just because you get the shot doesn't mean you won't get the flu.

That’s correct, but the flu virus is severe enough that you should take every precaution possible. Vaccines significantly reduce your risk and are proven to shorten the duration of your symptoms to a fraction of the norm. Significantly reducing the morbidity and mortality of the virus.

Very little actual research on effectiveness for treating or preventing cold and flu viruses. Enough people believe it works to support at least some benefit though. Based on anecdotal patient encounters I would say it tends to work best when taken daily rather than for acute infections.

Sweet thanks I think I am going to implement it into my vitamin regimen.

Anyways, I think this team is going to take more lumps but if they get just a little toughness that their coach had they are going to be better than people thought by seasons end

Reactions: VolBall09
Think about it...no meme,zay or sorry not sorry...Horston should be coming off the bench!!! Kellie has no choice but to play her and yes she will struggle at times. But good ole Ladyvol fans want to bench her.....smh...
Fun fact: Rae had the same number of t.o.s as Horston - 6. IMO, Horston's seem more damaging because they tend to come in bunches and end our hopes when we're hanging close. We aren't good enough to give up 3 or 4 possesions in a row against a top team and still hang in. She's done this over and over this year, taking us right out of games.

I don't think letting Horston sit the first five mins would be punishment. At this point, something different has to happen. Letting her play thru, even giving her more time at pg, is obviously not working.

Horston is starting to remind me exactly of Westbrook - obviously loaded with potential, occasionally makes very good plays, but often makes inexplicably bad plays in bunches. Becomes discouraged (for the first time I thought I saw Jordan really sagging into frustration tonight) begins pressing, becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

I realize KJH personnel options are extremely limited but she has to do whatever necessary to break the cycle for Horston. IMO this is Harper's biggest challenge right now because getting JH under control is the key to getting our t.o. problem fixed. Yes others make them, but she makes 3x more. I realize she's a frosh and alot has been asked of her, but she does not seem to be benefiting from 24 games of experience.

Failure to develop a highly regarded recruit sets off all kinds of alarms around here. Lets see if KJH and staff can have more success than the previous staff did in this area.

Fun fact: Rae had the same number of t.o.s as Horston - 6. IMO, Horston's seem more damaging because they tend to come in bunches and end our hopes when we're hanging close. We aren't good enough to give up 3 or 4 possesions in a row against a top team and still hang in. She's done this over and over this year, taking us right out of games.

I don't think letting Horston sit the first five mins would be punishment. At this point, something different has to happen. Letting her play thru, even giving her more time at pg, is obviously not working.

Horston is starting to remind me exactly of Westbrook - obviously loaded with potential, occasionally makes very good plays, but often makes inexplicably bad plays in bunches. Becomes discouraged (for the first time I thought I saw Jordan really sagging into frustration) begins pressing, becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

I realize KJH personnel options are extremely limited but she has to do whatever necessary to break the cycle for Horston. IMO this is Harper's biggest challenge right now since getting JH under control is the key to getting our t.o. problem fixed. Yes others make them, but she makes 3x more. I realize she's a frosh and alot has been asked of her, but she does not seem to be benefitting from 24 games of experience.

Failure to develop of a highly regarded recruit sets off all kinds of alarms around here. Lets see if KJH and staff can have more success than the previous staff did in this area.

Last paragraph hit the nail on the head. It just gets you worried because we’ve seen that narrative season after season now. You watch freshmen on other teams turn the corner, and ours stay the same. There is still plenty of time, I’m hopeful they have it in them!

Horston is starting to remind me exactly of Westbrook - obviously loaded with potential, occasionally makes very good plays, but often makes inexplicably bad plays in bunches. Becomes discouraged (for the first time I thought I saw Jordan really sagging into frustration tonight) begins pressing, becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

I realize KJH personnel options are extremely limited but she has to do whatever necessary to break the cycle for Horston. IMO this is Harper's biggest challenge right now because getting JH under control is the key to getting our t.o. problem fixed. Yes others make them, but she makes 3x more. I realize she's a frosh and alot has been asked of her, but she does not seem to be benefiting from 24 games of experience.

Failure to develop a highly regarded recruit sets off all kinds of alarms around here. Lets see if KJH and staff can have more success than the previous staff did in this area.
Serious question, why is it lately it seems that KJH is only using TK only for jump ball at the beginning and the first few minutes of the 1st and she gets benched?

Reactions: Coach Jumper
What game would we have won if horston didnt play as much???? I will wait...
Wrong question. What games would we have won if Horston didn't have a turnover outbreak at a crucial time? Because her t.o.s tend to come in bunches, she's taking us out of games with better teams when we're trying to hang close.

Believe me, I'm not happy about Horston's situation. I want her well, want her fixed. Soon. But its kind of hard to deny the problem.

VN Store

Back