'20 FL WR Malachi Wideman (Tennessee signee)

giphy.gif

Since we're trending here, I took about 20 minutes to watch his HUDL (and some YT highlights) and I am shocked that he's isn't one of the top recruits in the country. Not only is he outside the top 100, but he only has 15 offers?! The only explanation I can think of is that schools and analysts have been apprehensive to go all in on his football potential because basketball is such a high priority for him.

His athletic ability and body control are unreal. The only other recruits I can remember watching that had that same ability were very highly rated (AJ Green, Justin Hunter, Preston Williams etc). Wideman will be an incredible talent to watch wherever he lands.
Ranked 56 on Rivals

Since we're trending here, I took about 20 minutes to watch his HUDL (and some YT highlights) and I am shocked that he's isn't one of the top recruits in the country. Not only is he outside the top 100, but he only has 15 offers?! The only explanation I can think of is that schools and analysts have been apprehensive to go all in on his football potential because basketball is such a high priority for him.

His athletic ability and body control are unreal. The only other recruits I can remember watching that had that same ability were very highly rated (AJ Green, Justin Hunter, Preston Williams etc). Wideman will be an incredible talent to watch wherever he lands.
I must be missing something here, re: rivals. They show him as having only 11 offers, with us not listed. We've surely offered, right?!

It's all so political. I trust the coach's evaluations, but I do enjoy having a look myself and forming opinions.

Luginbill and ESPN are scorching hot garbage.
ESPN is actually pretty good for the top few hundred kids, typically. Had Trey #1. They just suck after that because their staff is so dang small, which also means they miss some that belonged up there. Rivals is god awful too. They even laughed at UT's "paper stars" in a public post....when the guys they were bringing up were ONLY listed as 4-stars by Rivals themselves and were mid 3*s elsewhere 🤣🤣 Comedic gold.

Don't think any of it is "political", because overall the correlations between recruiting and on-field success is too strong. Maybe you could say USC and FSU, very recently, are outliers. But some say it is "political" toward Bama and UGA, when they keep winning 11+ games...don't get that one.
Furthermore, known elite evaluators (Saban) SHOULD be followed. It would be stupid not to. Coaches see recruits in-person waaay more than these evaluators.

Also a reason to simply relax and trust your coaches' evals...assuming said kid was high on their short list and you still have faith in them. I currently have tons of faith in the staff, but question how many commits could possibly have been on their "short list" when we have offered half a grand.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdk4121

VN Store

Back