'20 AL ATH Damarcus "Dee" Beckwith (Tennessee signee)

Really, how many times has the “talented D1 football recruit who is also a legitimate basketball recruit and wants to play both in college” worked? Julius Peppers is the last one I can remember, but I’m sure there are a handful out there. Point is, the demands of D1 football make this dual-sport track a pipe dream. With arguably the best freshman b-ball class in UT history coming in this fall, I can’t blame Barnes for not bending over backwards for a kid that will not likely even see significant playing time.
Didn't Charlie Ward win a heistman trophy while playing both? All it really takes is a very committed player as it's a ton of work to pull off.

Mrs. Mullen....

source.gif
Dan wishes. That was such a good show, too.

There's money on the line if he develops. Kid needs to pick one and run with it. The old saying....jack of all trades master of none....Bo Jackson being a freak exception.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
They've made him feel like he's going to get to play both.
Of course they have. But what they say and what will happen are two different things. I hope it all works out for him and he gets to play both. It is just very hard to play both sports today and coaches will tell these kids anything to sign on the line. If I was a recruit, I would pick the school that I feel most comfortable with and could see myself at if sports didn’t work out. Then you know that if sports don’t work out, you are still happy at that school.

How do you know that it's false?

How many duel sports stars are there that play both football and basketball? The BB season will be basically half over by the time football is done. He might get to play some, but then spring practice for football starts up before the BB season is over. How much would he actually be able to contribute to the BB team? I think it is just coaches telling him what he wants to hear to get him on campus, when in reality, he won't see much if any time on the hardwood.

How many duel sports stars are there that play both football and basketball? The BB season will be basically half over by the time football is done. He might get to play some, but then spring practice for football starts up before the BB season is over. How much would he actually be able to contribute to the BB team? I think it is just coaches telling him what he wants to hear to get him on campus, when in reality, he won't see much if any time on the hardwood.
Agreed. BB season starts first week of Nov (practice probably start late Sept/ early Oct) and since UF will probably be in a bowl, Dee would not be available for BB until early Jan and my guess it would take a couple of weeks to get in BB shape/acclimate to the team. Means he would have ~ 6 weeks prior to start of tourneys. Would also put him behind in winter workouts which would include participating in QB throwing. Charlie Ward only play 16 and 17 bb games his junior and senior years at Free Shoes (less than half of the total # of games)

Agreed. BB season starts first week of Nov (practice probably start late Sept/ early Oct) and since UF will probably be in a bowl, Dee would not be available for BB until early Jan and my guess it would take a couple of weeks to get in BB shape/acclimate to the team. Means he would have ~ 6 weeks prior to start of tourneys. Would also put him behind in winter workouts which would include participating in QB throwing. Charlie Ward only play 16 and 17 bb games his junior and senior years at Free Shoes (less than half of the total # of games)

The best option for our coaches is to be honest with him and tell him that the two sports overlap too much and it would not be in his best interest to try and play both at the collegiate level.

The best option for our coaches is to be honest with him and tell him that the two sports overlap too much and it would not be in his best interest to try and play both at the collegiate level.
I think standard operating procedure is telling the kid that he’ll be given the opportunity to do both, which he eventually is......but once he gets on campus and sees the energy and schedule it would take to make it happen, that HE winds up making the decision that it’s not doable.

May be the reason he’s leaning to Florida they’re blowing smoke. From what I’ve read about these recruits and players is Pruitt is honest with them

Didn't Charlie Ward win a heistman trophy while playing both? All it really takes is a very committed player as it's a ton of work to pull off.
1 example in how many years? 26-27?

Ronald Curry player both at North Carolina after being both the #1 point guard in the country and the #1 quarterback in the country coming out of high school. He was awful at both.

Then there was Julius Peppers who was great at football and marginal at best at basketball.

Before then, both Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders played baseball and were great doing both in the early to mid 80s. Those 2 guys are in the discussion for greatest athletes in the history of GOD.

Bottom line, it’s extremely rare and the chance that Beckwith could pull it off playing football and basketball is all but zero.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back