Game Thread: #23/23 Lady Vols versus #3/5 UCONN

Looks like we've been smoking something the way we can't throw or catch a pass or catch a rebound off the goal.
Oh so that's it! Passed the bong at halftime. Well don't do that again.
Massengill is the better PG. At least she takes care of the ball.
Thought she had the most consistent, steady game of the whole sloppy 2nd half mess. I continue to be amazed and pleased at Massengill's development.

Love KJH and have pretty high hopes for her based on her performance so far. But tonight she got schooled by a pro. Ya'll say what you will bout Geno, and I know you will, but his game management was superb and hers was dismal. Geno had a coaching hunch that two bench players were ready to bloom and used them, but did almost no subbing elsewhere. Hunch richly rewarded.

KJH OTOH, for reasons I look forward to hearing, continued her free subbing ways, even when the subs were painfully obviously disruptive and destructive. Who on the LV staff is in charge of subbing, do we know?

I do still credit KJH and staff for having the team probably the most poised and focused for the start of a big game I've seen in years. Good job there, but they, like the players, must find some consistency.

What an absolute embarrassment. Were more than satisfied with their first half and just didn’t remotely compete in the 2nd. Don’t want to go as far as saying that they quit in the 2nd half, but for all intents and purposes that’s exactly what they did. And to play like this after an awful performance vs Alabama and after all the ish that Geno said about them and their university? Where was the pride? What an embarrassment this game was.

I will give my assessment after all the smoke clears. I ain't even mad. I haven't been a diehard in yearssss. Basically since the last group took over and I saw the throttle floored and headed toward the ditch.

This was even worse considering UCONN two better players have a TN connection. One was owning them on the court the other was watching a team she played for last year take it on the chin. It just tells me the players aren't capable because they should've been locked in with precise execution.

Way too early to say that.
I don’t know. KJH doesn’t seem to be able to fix repetitive fundamental mistakes made by the same players game over game.

I, for one, really hate saying it, because I have been a great KJH proponent. She better show some coaching improvement or she is going to lose trust in her first year.

This hasn't been a particularly good coaching job in the second half, but I'm giving CKH the benefit of the doubt. A roster this slow limits what you can do when an athletic team starts playing pressure defense
Geno had his team shackled the first half.

The turnovers in the second half bother me the most. Our ladies looked scared, confused, and intimidated. Awful. You will beat no one of any quality playing that sloppy with dribbling and passing.

Reactions: djohnnyg
Horston now has 84 turnovers in 19 games. 🤯

She's like a young Magic Johnson in that she makes plays and passes other players arent ready for. Also makes a number of unnecessary flashy passes. She is going to be stellar if Kellie can get her to be more disciplined and work within the framework of the offense.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Stats...

One out of three of our possessions ended up in a turnover.

UConn took 31 more shots than we did.

We lost the offensive rebounds 17 to 10.

Burrell, Key, and Horston were a combined 7-31 for 22%

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
She's like a young Magic Johnson in that she makes plays and passes other players arent ready for. Also makes a number of unnecessary flashy passes. She is going to be stellar if Kellie can get her to be more disciplined and work within the framework of the offense.
Magic? 😂 She can’t even play under control. 😂

I've seen Coach Harper light up the referees before. Light'em up like a Christmas tree,

Yet when our LV's keep making the SAME stupid turnovers over and over, she just gazes around like she's Alice in Wonderland.

Here's a thought: coach your damn team. You had a chance to bury UConn early but you choked. Odada went to the bench with fouls and Key had a 5'9" girl guarding her and you went inside ONCE. We should have been up 15 at halftime.

At some point the LV realized "Ooooh. This is UCONN...we're not supposed to beat them". Then they played accordingly.

And her bottom would have been sitting in the line in 2nd half. Her attitude in 2nd half was horrible all smiles. Harper shouldhave eaten her bottom up.

Geno put ODO on bench starting the 2nd half
And let her watch since her fouls and effort was not what he wanted ..... When she came in she played very good against us ! JMO

Reactions: Dube
Australian frogs made one t/o and was yanked!! Boston had how many? Coaching. McCoy didn't play. Why. Kelly H pancakes.

I tried to tell all how Uconn would put on a clinic in fundamentals...and they did ... 1 turnover in 2nd half ... LV .. 26 for game .. omg .. that's pathetic ... there are no consequences for bad play .. Horston just keeps making bad passes and decisions .. sit her butt ..

Reactions: flint
Both freshmen played terrible tonight. KK was horrible. Burrell was back to being her old self. The only players that played their game were Davis and Massengill. I think Kellie could play anybody McCoy, Saunders etc and get more than she is getting out of KK.

VN Store

Back