Game Thread: #23/23 Lady Vols versus #3/5 UCONN

Made it to the game tonight in Hartford, surrounded by some very kind UConn fans (except for someone behind me trashing UT for how they treated Westbrook).

Agree with all the comments about the turnovers. The moment seemed to really catch up to us once UConn upped the pressure in the second half (great move by Geno to bench ONO and Irwin) and also led to many missed layups and free throws. That’s all on the players, but they’ll grow. Also agree that KK and Kam were just not up for this game and I would’ve liked to see us go small ball. Jaz continues to be just solid and nice to see her hunting her shots more.

Those trashing Key, just stfu. 1) it’s rare for freshmen posts to see much success in D1 (Graves is one of the few Lady Vols I can think of who was ready coming out of HS) and 2) she was getting shoved like crazy off the ball and slapped nonstop when she got the ball, and I don’t think she got a SINGLE CALL. She was clearly frustrated but she’ll learn. UConn got away with a lot, though.
Post players have the hardest transition from HS to the college game. Ododa is struggling this year as à sophmore. Her play in 4th quarter was directly tied to her being benched. Tina Charles struggled until her jr year. In high school they hardly ever face someone at their level. Key will be a player for you guys with coaching and experience. Hopefully she makes that Sophmore jump.

I knew this crap would happen. Tennessee struggles to beat Tennessee State early in the season, and Alabama a few days ago, yet the majority of posts tonight are from people who appear to be shocked and devastated that Tennessee didn’t handle one of the best teams in the country on a court they’ve lost about 2 games on in 15 years. If people are shocked and devastated, they may actually be stupid.

To be clear, I'm not shocked, devastated or sad and that is a referendum in itself. I'm somewhat ok with the loss because I expected it. Now I do think after watching UCONN, I didn't think they were very good but as you mentioned this team struggled with TSU. It was really the first game I've watched this year because I'm not feeling it.

First half is the way Uconn has played all year. They have been lazy, shooting poorly and playing to much one on one. The second half was the first time all year they played like this. Uconn teams usually play that hard all the time.

I agree to some extent. They actually played well against then ranked ND and Depaul. While I think they are a good team getting better, they are not dominant like they were in the past when they had a superstar on the team. This year has been a puzzle. Who is going to show up? The gang that couldn't shoot straight (vs UT) or the gang that couldn't miss. Typical UConn teams are usually among the top teams in assists and a/to. Not this year. As you said - too much one on one. Their biggest problem though is a lack of a reliable center.

Today they put on an offensive clinic against a grossly over matched team, making all of the shots that they missed against UT.

Reactions: Dube
This was CHW's biggest loss and UT's next biggest recruiting faux pas, behind Maya Moore's
Coincidentally both went to the connies

I think not responding to the tape sent featuring Alana Beard might just rank at the top. Summitt fought for Moore, but the LV ignored Beard...who went on to be a three-time All-American and twice national player of the year. I seem to remember that Beatd wanted to come to Tenn. With her, we might have a couple more nattys (ans CONN a couple less).

I think not responding to the tape sent featuring Alana Beard might just rank at the top. Summitt fought for Moore, but the LV ignored Beard...who went on to be a three-time All-American and twice national player of the year. I seem to remember that Beatd wanted to come to Tenn. With her, we might have a couple more nattys (ans CONN a couple less).

I might be wrong - old age memory lapse - but I think UConn also passed on Beard.

Obviously UCONN made halftime adjustments that we were not prepared for, but I wondered if the delay with the halftime presentation affected our team more than theirs.

Yes I remember Geno saying at some point that not pursuing Beard a great mistake

Yeah, I think it was for the Olympic team, or the national team, or something, and Geno said to Pat that their assistants (I think it was Dailey and DeMoss) should be fired for missing on Beard. I've always remembered that story because it was one of the last "cordial" sort of shared moments between the programs before the acrimony really set in.

Reactions: Dube
.... I'm done with KK.

I'm not! Her footwork , power and post-ups are very good...but her continuation into BB skills are what's lacking.
KK was primarily volleyball initially (All 4 years in HS) . I watched a few BB games at ST Francis. Around that time before moving to J Ferry, I lived off of Magnolia,near church-row.

The mechanics of the two sports are vastly different. for instance in volleyball, you gather by by squatting and you most often jump off of two feet...in basketball you gather by stepping forward and dipping your shoulders and then explode upward, jumping off of one foot and using the other one to aid in your lift by bring the non-jumping leg upwards, knee-first.

Totally different

KK has to have these different BB mechanics drilled into her. BC it takes a "new habit", to effectively quit an old one

Not wanting to bash on her but she should be showing signs of improvement. All I see is her posting up too high in the box, when she does get the ball down low she brings it down for some reason and most the time takes a practice dribble. She looks unsure of where and what to do with the ball. Now don't get me wrong I was pissed when I posted the done with KK line but I will say we should be looking at Saunders and McCoy to get some of her minutes if they are healthy.

Best takeway for me, besides the crucial SEC home win, is the continued miraculous resurrection of Massengill (whose name I now pledge to spell right every time) and Davis. IMO these two, plus super scrapper role player Lou Brown, form the nucleus of what could be a very good young team.

I want the arch of Jaz studied in depth by the staff, and applied immediately to the other young players. What, exactly, happened to her this summer and fall? I can't recall a more complete turnaround for any Lady Vol in recent memory. She'll probably collapse and never have another good game since I'm saying this, but IMO she has developed into a very solid, dependable SEC pg with huge upside for the future.

Was Jaz suffering that much under the previous staff, notorious for underdevelopment? Did she have private coaching this summer (and don't even start Coach J)? Is her improvement all owing to the coaching change? Whatever happened, please replicate and repeat, especially for her backcourt running mate Horston and diamond in the rough Rae.

How wonderful is it to see Davis finally becoming a consistent go to? And a joyful one to boot. Anyone remember that discouraged, inconsistent, emotionally fragile player who starred in that awful viral how-not-to-play video from the game at Vandy last year? Yeah, me neither. She's even emerging as a leader. Excellent development!

When I look at Rennia this year, I can't help but think sadly of Jamie and Mercedes and what might have been. They are kind of the LV version of the last soldiers lost in a senseless war. May we never experience these kinds of wasted careers again.

Last edited:
Best takeway for me, besides the crucial SEC home win, is the continued miraculous resurrection of Massengill (whose name I pledge to spell right every time) and Davis. IMO these two, plus super scrapper role player Lou Brown, form the nucleus of what could be a very good young team.

I want the arch of Jaz studied in depth by the staff, and applied immediately to the other young players. What, exactly, happened this summer and fall? I can't recall a more complete turnaround for any Lady Vol in recent memory. She'll probably collapse and never have another good game since I'm saying this, but IMO she has developed into a very solid, dependable SEC pg.

Was Jaz suffering that much under the previous staff, notorious for underdevelopment? Did she have private coaching this summer (and don't even start Coach J)? Is her improvement all owing to the coaching change? Whatever happened, please replicate and repeat, especially for her backcourt running mate Horston.

How wonderful is it to see Davis finally becoming a consistent go to? And a joyful one to boot. Anyone remember that discouraged, inconsistent, emotionally fragile player who starred in that awful viral how-not-to-play video from the game at Vandy last year? Yeah, me neither.

When I look at Rennia this year, I can't help but think sadly of Jamie and Mercedes and what might have been. They are kind of the LV version of the last soldiers lost in a senseless war.

Don't call me out, "Keyboard warrior".... I have proven knowledge and backed up anything I've said. Haven't backed down from any challenge and waiting on the next one...So jump out of my space! Or I will jump into yours!

If you want to carry this conversation on, there is a post called Coach Jumper
Coach Jumper
take it there!

If you want to carry this conversation on, there is a post called Coach Jumper
Coach Jumper
take it there!
No desire, but thanks. Not that it matters, but a line was crossed with me yesterday with the secret eye contact in warmups. Keyboard warriorship is one thing, actual attempted contact, real or imagined, with the players is a different and not fun one. Also extremely detrimental to your stated goal of having the current staff ever be receptive to your approaches. JMO

Last edited:
Reactions: Dube and Darth_Vol
No desire, but thanks. Not that it matters, but a line was crossed with me yesterday with the secret eye contact in warmups. Keyboard warriorship is one thing, actual attempted contact, real or imagined, with the players is a different and not fun one. Also extremely detrimental to your stated goal of having the current staff ever be receptive to your approaches. JMO

@glv98 Its times like these that I wish there was a way to communicate privately.

After thinking about your consideration (minus the unneeded "Keyboard warriorship" jab) I agree, this was a little too forward of me and I will think about future bold moves like this one. No one knows who they were and no one will.!

I detest that barb you threw, but in this case I deserved to be scolded.
So, scolding, accepted in humility.

Thank you for watching out for the private interests of these kids, 98
Your heart is obviously in the right place.

Sincerely,
Coach J

VN Store

Back