Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

UCONN may not usually have a deep bench, but they always have a quality bench. Almost every season (except maybe this one) they have at least 3 players riding the pine that would be starting at any other program. Only reason they have a such a short bench this season is because players are getting tired out that. They have had more transfers in recent years, fewer good players are willing to sit almost a whole season just to please a pig headed egomanic who “doesn’t play stupid freshman.”

Auriemma usually has a short bench. He prefers to play a core 6/7 players for most of the game. He seldom has more than 10-11 scholarship players. However, the statement that he does not play freshmen is incorrect as is the "more transfers." UConn has had 4 transfers out in the last 5 years. That's probably typical for most top teams given the current transfer situation of "play me or I'm gone".

2019/20 Makurat FR 21 mpg, 6 starts.
Griffin FR 16 mpg
2018/19 Williams FR 32 mpg, 38 starts.
Nelson-Odota FR 14 mpg, 4 starts.

What were the high school recruiting service rankings for the Connecticut starters? Anyone keep up with those things? I couldn’t even tell you what Tennessee’s players were ranked.

What were the high school recruiting service rankings for the Connecticut starters? Anyone keep up with those things? I couldn’t even tell you what Tennessee’s players were ranked.
Walker and Williams were ranked #1, Nelson Odota was #5. I don't know what Dangerfield's ranking was but it had to be a top 10. Irwin and Makurat were unranked.

Walker and Williams were ranked #1, Nelson Odota was #5. I don't know what Dangerfield's ranking was but it had to be a top 10. Irwin and Makurat were unranked.

Thanks. Auriemma certainly seems to get a lot of #1s and top fives. :confused: I vaguely recall that Tennessee’s last #1 was Mercedes Russell, and before her I think we’d have to go way back to Candace Parker. Or was Diamond DeShields a #1? Before Candace, I have no recollection.

Thanks. Auriemma certainly seems to get a lot of #1s and top fives. :confused: I vaguely recall that Tennessee’s last #1 was Mercedes Russell, and before her I think we’d have to go way back to Candace Parker. Or was Diamond DeShields a #1? Before Candace, I have no recollection.
Russell and DeShields were in the same class. #1 and #3 respectively as per HoopGurlz.

Notable recent Tennessee commits:
Russell #1 in 2013
DeShields #3 2013 NorthCarolina
Tucker #8 in 2013 (A Tragedy)
Nared #6 in 2014
Cooper #12 in 2015
(Nobody !) in 2016
Westbrook #2 in 2017
Hayes #7 in 2017
Davis #12 in 2017
Holly could recruit.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Russell #1 in 2013
Nared #6 in 2014
Cooper #12 in 2015
(Nobody !) in 2016
Westbrook #2 in 2017
Hayes #7 in 2017
Davis #12 in 2017
Holly could recruit.

But she couldn’t retain. Of the 8 players you just listed only 3 will have started and finished their careers as a Lady Vol.

Neither Russell or Nared met their full potential while in Orange. If Mercedes had been even half the player she was in the WNBA this season she would have been unstoppable in the college ranks. Nared finished her career just like she started, a low percentage, high volume shooter. She led us in scoring her senior season but couldn’t even crack 40% shooting from the field and was under 25% from 3.

Based on those rankings, one would expect Connecticut to beat the tar out of Tennessee in a couple of weeks. Ugh. Starting lineups of two #1s, a #5, and a top 10 vs. one #12. :eek:

I wish I hadn’t asked.

Present Tennessee players:

Horston 2
Green 10
Davis 12
Massengill 25
Key 47
KK 57
Burrell 43
Saunders NR
McCoy NR
Harris NR
Rennie NR This is the Hoopgurlz rankings

Prospect Nation Rankings

Horston 2
Green 23
Davis 9
KK 11
Massengill 11
Burrell 119
Saunders 88
Key 50
McCoy NR
Harris NR
Rennie NR

Reactions: krichunaka
She did multiple times as a player 😄 my point was she has handed him an L or two on his record books

So technically yes she has beaten him ... I don’t think Dawn has handed him a loss as a player or coach

Oh I see. That makes so much sense now.

Reactions: olddog
First time I can remember when SC is the favorite if only two points they have usually been the underdog. Looking forward to a SC win don't let me down.

Reactions: JustaChicken
Russell #1 in 2013
Nared #6 in 2014
Cooper #12 in 2015
(Nobody !) in 2016
Westbrook #2 in 2017
Hayes #7 in 2017
Davis #12 in 2017
Holly could recruit.
Apparently according to Rhyne Howard she didn’t recruit her till it was too late

Apparently according to Rhyne Howard she didn’t recruit her till it was too late

Which never made any plain sense to me. We were recruiting Massengill and I think they played on some of the same teams? There is no way our coaches didn’t see her until too late. Particularly for an in-state prospect. So frustrating. She’s maybe the purest shooter I’ve seen since Maya Moore or Abby Waner (throw back).

Which never made any plain sense to me. We were recruiting Massengill and I think they played on some of the same teams? There is no way our coaches didn’t see her until too late. Particularly for an in-state prospect. So frustrating. She’s maybe the purest shooter I’ve seen since Maya Moore or Abby Waner (throw back).

Bradley Central grad Rhyne Howard already a star at Kentucky

The story's lead graph:

"KNOXVILLE — Despite growing up an hour from Knoxville, Rhyne Howard didn't aspire to be a member of the Tennessee women's basketball program like most area girls' players do.
Her mother, Rhvonja Avery, played at Florida and once hoped her daughter would follow in those footsteps."

And toward the end:
Prior to her senior season, she narrowed her college choices to Kentucky, Purdue and South Carolina. She noted that Tennessee "came late," plus since her mom played at another SEC school, Howard grew up "not liking Tennessee."

Anyway, it very well could have been that Rhyne and her mother had long since made it known that they weren't fans of Tennessee, and so maybe Tennessee didn't waste her time or theirs recruiting her -- UNTIL the end when, perhaps, somehow word got out that she might be willing to consider it. I have no idea, but given how things went down it's a plausible explanation.

Bradley Central grad Rhyne Howard already a star at Kentucky

The story's lead graph:

"KNOXVILLE — Despite growing up an hour from Knoxville, Rhyne Howard didn't aspire to be a member of the Tennessee women's basketball program like most area girls' players do.
Her mother, Rhvonja Avery, played at Florida and once hoped her daughter would follow in those footsteps."

And toward the end:
Prior to her senior season, she narrowed her college choices to Kentucky, Purdue and South Carolina. She noted that Tennessee "came late," plus since her mom played at another SEC school, Howard grew up "not liking Tennessee."

Anyway, it very well could have been that Rhyne and her mother had long since made it known that they weren't fans of Tennessee, and so maybe Tennessee didn't waste her time or theirs recruiting her -- UNTIL the end when, perhaps, somehow word got out that she might be willing to consider it. I have no idea, but given how things went down it's a plausible explanation.

I think that’s silly though and if that’s how things were being done it’s no wonder we missed out on some recruits. Just because you “heard something from somebody.” Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t personally reach out and try to change their mind. If she was playing like that in HS I would have been doing anything in my power to get her to change her view on UT.

I think that’s silly though and if that’s how things were being done it’s no wonder we missed out on some recruits. Just because you “heard something from somebody.” Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t personally reach out and try to change their mind. If she was playing like that in HS I would have been doing anything in my power to get her to change her view on UT.

Agreed. Surely there's a LOT more to the story than meets the eye. I find it hard to believe she was merely overlooked.

lol since when did you become all knowing? SC finally has the talent to matchup with UConn and our bench scores at least 20 a game at home with a sell out crowd yes please doubt us:).

Not sure why Cock fans are so butthurt by what I think about the game, but feels like I've seen this script before...

Reactions: SCspur
Carter from Texas A&M has 2 points at the half against ole miss, but A&M up by 18.

Maryland down 7 to Ohio State at Maryland

Russell #1 in 2013
Nared #6 in 2014
Cooper #12 in 2015
(Nobody !) in 2016
Westbrook #2 in 2017
Hayes #7 in 2017
Davis #12 in 2017
Holly could recruit.