Candidates to replace David Johnson?

Top Choice - Frank Wilson
Alternative* - Jay Graham (respectfully speaking... still homerun hire)

Promote Nieds to RB Coach / Recruiting Coord

Promote Osovet to TE Coach

Go after people Pruitt has familiarity with such as John Lilly, Tim Brewster, Bobby Williams (As TE Coach, if we promote within*)

Reactions: KINGSVOL
Coach Nieds can literally coach any position he or coach osovet plugged into that spot would do just fine but if they want to bring someone in with some nice recruiting ties Rush would be an idea

I like the Hardesty thing, honestly my brain hadnt even gone there. Frank Wilson is also a good call.

Has anybody said Moorhead? I know it's a big step down, but better than no job at all.

Back the Brinks truck up to the best recruiter we can lure away from where they are now.

As long as he's also a good coach too.

Top priority is a ace recruiter to keep this rebuild going well.

I don't care who that might be as long as he can help bring in the stud recruits that fill our needs.

VFL...GBO!!!

Step #1) Go get Frank Wilson or Jay Graham. I honestly prefer Wilson for the recruiting angle but my man Jay Graham would be a feel good hire. If none of these guys are interested and you don’t have another big name apply move Neids from TE to RB. It’s more crucial having an ace recruiter in that position than TE in my opinion. Then you can use that vacant TE job to promote Osovet.

Step #2) Let Weinke walk. Move Tee from coaching WR to QB’s.

Step #3) Lure Bryan McClendon away from USC Jr. for your vacant WR Coach position. He can’t be comfortable there after being recently demoted. One of the best recruiters in the nation.

Step #4) Kick the tires on Tosh Lupoi. If he is willing to come to UT you have to replace Rocker. If he isn’t interested you continue business as usual with Coach Rock.
Football Scoop reported about a week ago that McClendon would be retaining his $1 million salary (from OC) as a wide receivers coach as long as he was part of the SC program, so I don't think he would be realistic at this time.

Reactions: snake
Idk if Aaron Hayden is on that level but it wouldn't hurt to get him on staff in some capacity. He was as big getting those Memphis kids in as anybody.

And i agree but in the SEC your best teams have 2-3 really good backs minimum. We currently have 1 thats on the verge of being really good, a handful of average guys and a couple of hopeful freshmen. We havent landed a bonafide stud in forever.
Yeah we definitely need two backs. I dont know what has happened to Ty.I thought he was going to be that break away back we have needed. He was better as a freshman. Hopefully it's just the sophomore jinx and he will return to his freshman form next year

Reactions: Ertel
I like the Hardesty thing, honestly my brain hadnt even gone there. Frank Wilson is also a good call.

Has anybody said Moorhead? I know it's a big step down, but better than no job at all.
I doubt if he'd take it but at least make the call

Reactions: LordVOLdemort
Had a seance this morning. Contacted the spirit of Tim Wilson. He recommends Ricky Tidwell's mom.

Why Hardesty? Loved him as a Vol, but lack of experience scares me. If we were more established, we could take the risk, but we're still trying to build. We need someone who can recruit with the best of them.
He's been coaching since '14*. Not a ton of experience, but not the worst they could do.

*he was an intern in '14.

Last edited:
1. McClendon
2. Graham
3. Hardesty
4. Osovet

Probably some other names out there. Doesn't have to be an RB coach. Could be a QB or WR coach and shift guys around. Problem with my list is McClendon is the only one known as an ace recruiter. Hardesty might be great, but he's only been a position coach for 1 year at Charlotte, so tough to access his recruiting acumen. Similar deal with Osovet.

Biggest hickup for McClendon will be salary. Unlike Tee Martin, who was fired at USC, McClendon still technically remains on the SC staff, albeit he's been demoted in reality. But the difference is that McClendon would lose that money if he came to UT (his salary is $1 mil). So I don't think we'll get him due to that. (Whereas, Tee is still collecting those USC paychecks.)

Hardesty got his coaching start at Chowan University, where he served as an intern in 2014 under the NFL Players Association internship program before joining the staff at Norfolk State. He then spent two years as running backs coach and special teams coordinator at Norfolk State during the 2015 and 2016 seasons. In 2017, Hardesty was an assistant strength and conditioning coach at Florida Atlantic for his former college coach, Lane Kiffin. He spent the 2018 season as an offensive quality control coach at his alma mater, Tennessee.

Last edited:
Hardesty spent two years as running backs coach and special teams coordinator at Norfolk State during the 2015 and 2016 seasons. In 2017, Hardesty was an assistant strength and conditioning coach at Florida Atlantic for his former college coach, Lane Kiffin.
the only question for most on VN...can he 'cruit?

VN Store

Back