Candidates to replace David Johnson?

Jay Graham or McClendon should be the list. If you strike out with them get Hardesty.
Why Hardesty? Loved him as a Vol, but lack of experience scares me. If we were more established, we could take the risk, but we're still trying to build. We need someone who can recruit with the best of them.

Go make an offer to Robert G and bring him back. Everyone agreed he was the one coach that Pruitt needed to retain and he did and then he left.

Bring him back. Think he’s at UNC now
Ain’t happening. If Pruitt wanted him, he’d still be here.

Last edited:
Frank Wilson would be the obviously choice and we should have called him yesterday.

Jay Graham would be my next call and promoting Osovet would be my 3rd option.

Reactions: ERvolsfan
Step #1) Go get Frank Wilson or Jay Graham. I honestly prefer Wilson for the recruiting angle but my man Jay Graham would be a feel good hire. If none of these guys are interested and you don’t have another big name apply move Neids from TE to RB. It’s more crucial having an ace recruiter in that position than TE in my opinion. Then you can use that vacant TE job to promote Osovet.

Step #2) Let Weinke walk. Move Tee from coaching WR to QB’s.

Step #3) Lure Bryan McClendon away from USC Jr. for your vacant WR Coach position. He can’t be comfortable there after being recently demoted. One of the best recruiters in the nation.

Step #4) Kick the tires on Tosh Lupoi. If he is willing to come to UT you have to replace Rocker. If he isn’t interested you continue business as usual with Coach Rock.

Eric Gray is going to be a star
And i agree but in the SEC your best teams have 2-3 really good backs minimum. We currently have 1 thats on the verge of being really good, a handful of average guys and a couple of hopeful freshmen. We havent landed a bonafide stud in forever.

Most important aspect here is RB is probably the easiest position to coach. So imo the candidate is gonna have to be able to recruit. Jay Graham kinda fits that role. But honestly there is no telling. But recruiting is #1 priority

You mean the guy that basically said Fulmer was a racist for not promoting him to OC? Plus we don’t need a chest bumping clown on staff anyways.

I don't get some of yawl and the grudge holding. Trooper is a damn good ppsition coach and was/is a fierce recruiter. Outside of Frank Wilson he'd be my 2nd choice.

1. McClendon
2. Graham
3. Hardesty
4. Osovet

Probably some other names out there. Doesn't have to be an RB coach. Could be a QB or WR coach and shift guys around. Problem with my list is McClendon is the only one known as an ace recruiter. Hardesty might be great, but he's only been a position coach for 1 year at Charlotte, so tough to access his recruiting acumen. Similar deal with Osovet.

Biggest hickup for McClendon will be salary. Unlike Tee Martin, who was fired at USC, McClendon still technically remains on the SC staff, albeit he's been demoted in reality. But the difference is that McClendon would lose that money if he came to UT (his salary is $1 mil). So I don't think we'll get him due to that. (Whereas, Tee is still collecting those USC paychecks.)

Reactions: swampfoxfan
1. McClendon
2. Graham
3. Hardesty
4. Osovet

Probably some other names out there. Doesn't have to be an RB coach. Could be a QB or WR coach and shift guys around. Problem with my list is McClendon is the only one known as an ace recruiter. Hardesty might be great, but he's only been a position coach for 1 year at Charlotte, so tough to access his recruiting acumen. Similar deal with Osovet.

Biggest hickup for McClendon will be salary. Unlike Tee Martin, who was fired at USC, McClendon still technically remains on the SC staff, albeit he's been demoted in reality. But the difference is that McClendon would lose that money if he came to UT (his salary is $1 mil). So I don't think we'll get him due to that. (Whereas, Tee is still collecting those USC paychecks.)
1st call Frank Wilson

VN Store

Back