Game Thread: #23/24 TENNESSEE VS. COLORADO STATE

POST-GAME QUOTATIONS:
On what Coach Harper was like after the loss to Texas:
"She's different. I'm going to just leave it at that." -- Rennia Davis
"Strictly business. Different attitude, different mindset, different practice, just a different attitude in general." -- Jazmine Massengill
"Something that we don't want to see again." -- Jordan Horston

AMEN to that --- just what I wanted to hear.

What do you mean by that?
Not playing like the top recruit she was, however when I stated that she was basically doing nothing in the game. She actually ended up with a very good stats against the great CSU team. Hope she does well and we will know more after Stanford and Ucant as well as the SEC.

Coach Harper does a lot of player substitution to keep fresh legs on defense and to get to know her players. A disadvantage of frequent player substitution is turnovers due to lack of team cohesion.

Wholesale subs is good if the bench is in the same league as the opponent. In the SEC this will not be the case for the ladyvols. We have 8 Div 1 players one injured and out for the of the year. Our sub pattern will change when conference play starts or it will be a short tenur.

If Kellie wanted to give players after the first six much game experience at all, then she HAD to use this strategy during the early portion of the schedule because she won't have that luxury as the season progresses. It was a risk, yes, that the top 6 didn't get to play together for as many minutes as possible to build their chemistry and timing, but I have a feeling that they won't take long to truly mesh once the bench is shortened.

I like what Kellie has done so far with minutes, and I absolutely love that Kellie being Kellie has given Kamera Harris a chance to contribute in her final season. If a coaching change hadn't been made I guarantee you that Kam would rarely have gotten up off the bench this season.

Really like to see Saunders get about five minutes at least in the rotation. JMO I think she is better than McCoy or Harris. She post up hard and plays a physical game on defense. I know she can't jump but neither can Harris or McCoy and with her size and height she is a problem for any player by just standing there.

Saunders and Rennie - two young players who are now PLAYING rather than thinking about what she should be doing. Saunders showed aggressiveness including trying to secure several poor entry passes. She was fouled on consecutive plays while getting position. Rennie took a charge, vertical hands and feet planted, but ref made the wrong call. Rennie brought the ball into shooting position rather than always just executing the next pass. Both are communicating on defense. Positive examples of progress.

I believe that Coach Kellie will remain true to her belief in playing more than what would be called 6 or 7. I do recognize that some combinations don't have sufficient number of players who can create their own shot, but I'm sure the coaches recognize how to substitute.

Yes but we haven't really kicked a cupcakes butt at this point. We win by just a few points. And that's okay these early games are for instruction and growth. But now it's time to change gears. Now it's time to get serious and show me the team we're going to go into this season with. It's time now for the cream to rise to the top and it's time for us to lace up our sneakers and start showing what we're truly made of. It's time to represent Tennessee lady Vol basketball

Another one I didn’t watch but much improved stat line. The stat I liked best = 20 assists = team play. How many 20 assist games in the prior 6 years? I don’t take the time to check. I’ll bet less than 10. Team play consistently in the future. Stat I liked least? 17 TO’s. A work in progress Playing cupcakes ? Yes! Will Stanford win? Probably ? Stagnant like last 6 years? Definitely no! Progress ? Definitely Yes! Let’s be happy. Keep on keeping on!!

Another one I didn’t watch but much improved stat line. The stat I liked best = 20 assists = team play. How many 20 assist games in the prior 6 years? I don’t take the time to check. I’ll bet less than 10. Team play consistently in the future. Stat I liked least? 17 TO’s. A work in progress Playing cupcakes ? Yes! Will Stanford win? Probably ? Stagnant like last 6 years? Definitely no! Progress ? Definitely Yes! Let’s be happy. Keep on keeping on!!

After the first Q we got to a focus of not letting up no matter who was on the floor.
Subbing just to sub is a strategy that enable you to see how your deep bench is going to play.
When I sub ah lah "Dean Hill"(5 in 5 out),, I do it serpentine style...after subbing the front five,,,all players not on the floor slide towards the coach after every substitution. If I have 13,then,,,1-5, 6-10, 11-13 and 1-2, 3-7,,etc. This gives me every combination conceivable

There is (was) a time for this,,but not on Dec 18 against Stanford (unless leading by 20 or down by 15+)...and even then if ahead, putting a number out there for her subs...e.g...((if leading by 20 tell the deep subs..)
"If they get withing 14, I am pulling the floor...Now keep it where it's at or extend the lead.,,this is your time to show me why you're here!..Go get em LV's),,,

Until then Coach K has to play her 8 and look for connections or hot hands within them and finish a close game with the strongest for the night

There actually are two more games before the SEC run starts that we might be able to employ the current "everybody plays" rotation.
But if you do do that, you run the risk of going into the SEC without a set-rotation and that's not good.

Coach Kellie is in the first third of her first season ...TEACHING some talented (and often confused) YOUNG Lady Vols how to play basketball.
And yet:
“Don’t play this one!”
“Don’t substitute like that!”
“This one isn’t ready!”
“That one can’t jump!” *OMG! Our SIX-FOOT-FIVE Freshman Post player CAN NOT JUMP!” Where’s the nearest cliff?
“WINNING margin is not big enough!”
And on and on.
We - Freshmen, AND Upper-Classmen - still do not appear to understand FUNDAMENTAL basketball. And yet, so many of us (We’re all in this together, folks) appear more concerned with “margins,” or solidifying our six, seven player rotation.

But, at least two of that nucleus are Freshmen. News Flash: Freshmen hit walls! So, could it be that Coach Kellie and Company are preparing for this probability, and they’re trying to keep them somewhat fresh for those big money games? Just a thought.

Ten years from now, nobody will recall, nor should we care how badly we beat Colorado State.
We won!
Our INCREDIBLE Rennia Davis scored her One-Thousandth Point!
Our Point Guard keeps getting better!
Our All-American Freshman Guard/point guard is starting to get that “Whole Game” thang.

Jessie Rennie hit two bombs ...even AFTER missing her first two attempts! Ladies and gentleman, that is noteworthy, because that is tangible progress.

AND, I’m so happy for Kamera Harris, I could almost cry. In fact, I did when I saw her sign that Graduates’ Pole.

I don’t know how much better we can get; but I’ve seen enough to doubt that our first six, or seven, or eight ...can get us through multiple rounds of March Madness. For the foreseeable future we need considerable improvement and help, one-through-eleven; a fact which, thankfully, Our Head Coach is keenly aware.

It's not about you can't play this one or you can play that one for me. I coach. And I post as a coach. And I take it upon myself as my job in posting to keep Anyone who reads what I writes Eyes Wide open. I watched chw make every conceivable mistake no use of timeouts no talking to her players no strong presence at the coaching box no working the referees etc etc and I refuse to let Coach K make the same mistakes.

Kam actually has a smooth flip of the wrist mid range shot. It is time for her to forget her time of benching and confidently fire away when clearly open.

Reactions: lvocd and mlindsay
Didn’t get to watch last night. Found a replay link on the the website on the schedule page.

Last edited:
Well, year before last we had 7 out of 33 games, which is essentially the same as our 2 out of 9 this year. We also averaged 16.4 turnovers that year compared to 17.6 so far this year.

Reactions: mcannon1
Well, year before last we had 7 out of 33 games, which is essentially the same as our 2 out of 9 this year. We also averaged 16.4 turnovers that year compared to 17.6 so far this year.
Assists are way up 18.3 to 12.5 last season but most of the improvements have been on defense 52 rebounds per game this season in 9 games to 44.5 last season at this time. Were allowing 52 points per game this season 57.6 last and the real huge one is 60 blocks to 18 which is 4.5 more blocks per game. Were a turnover worse this season mostly because of the freshmen as they have really bad turnover totals. Huge improvement in the returning players who have far less turnovers than last season at this point. First time I can remember Tennessee having a positive assist to turnover ratio in several years 18.3 assist to 17.6 turnovers last year it was 12.5 assist to 16 turnovers. We have scored 74.1 per game to 81 a game at this point last season. I would say that the offense needs the most work the defense seems much improved over last season and the stats back that up. Scoring just 60 points is the reason we lost the Texas game as last season they scored 82 on us and still lost by six.

Assists are way up 18.3 to 12.5 last season but most of the improvements have been on defense 52 rebounds per game this season in 9 games to 44.5 last season at this time. Were allowing 52 points per game this season 57.6 last and the real huge one is 60 blocks to 18 which is 4.5 more blocks per game. Were a turnover worse this season mostly because of the freshmen as they have really bad turnover totals. Huge improvement in the returning players who have far less turnovers than last season at this point. First time I can remember Tennessee having a positive assist to turnover ratio in several years 18.3 assist to 17.6 turnovers last year it was 12.5 assist to 16 turnovers. We have scored 74.1 per game to 81 a game at this point last season. I would say that the offense needs the most work the defense seems much improved over last season and the stats back that up. Scoring just 60 points is the reason we lost the Texas game as last season they scored 82 on us and still lost by six.

I would like to use this post for the game thread

Reactions: Volfan2012
I would like to use this post for the game thread

I'll take the like as a yes...in fact, this may be a good idea...instead of reposting most of the verbiage from the UT site page, I think for Stanford, I will keep vigil on several pages and post the best informative or commentary posts from posters on this site for this week and weekend

You have my permission to use any of my posts. Just send checks via USPS. Lol

On a serious note... Posts like that one are informative to me as a coach because he is looking at things I overlooked or didn't emphasize. He looks at the game and emphasizes stats that I may not emphasize. And this is good information.

I truly believe that chw failed most in not listening to the opinions and ideas of others. Not necessarily this side or anyone who post here but in general I felt like her bench had no say-so on anything. I felt like from my perception that she was a little bit of a Napoleon and had her idea and didn't listen to other ideas.

The reason Pat Summitt influenced me as she did was during my internship at the 1996 SEC women's tournament is Pat was not above listening or learning from anyone. In fact the second time I saw her she was passing by in the hallway at one of the venues at the SEC tournament and I was talking to a player from how about pushing the finish, of the pass. Meaning following through with a hard push on every pass. This is where power comes from in passing ...not arm strength , but in the push of the Finish. As Pat was walking off she said "finish with a push". It was pretty cool

Pat would listen and learn from anywhere she could learn and listen to. . . I try to do the same thing that is why I going to try this in the Stanford thread. I'm also going to start it a day early probably Monday.

Volfan 2012.
Sorry, reread your post and deleted mine based on the rereading. Thank you for your research.

Last edited:
I'll take the like as a yes...in fact, this may be a good idea...instead of reposting most of the verbiage from the UT site page, I think for Stanford, I will keep vigil on several pages and post the best informative or commentary posts from posters on this site for this week and weekend
Stanford scored 95 on us last year for us to have a chance to win there we have to keep them in the 60's this time. Holding them to that on their home court will not be easy. I hope were focused and play smart all you can ask win or lose this is another game where were playing a team as talented as any in the country. Use any post of mine you want.

VN Store

Back