Looking ahead to #1 Stanford

To answer the original question in this particular thread, go to Get Pac-12 Networks and look at the right side of the page. There is a box to enter your zip code that will tell you the providers that carry the Pac12 Network in your area. In Knoxville, for example, Dish Network and Comcast/xFinity are two tv providers that include the Pac 12 Network in their optional sports package. There are three streaming services, as well. SlingTV, fubo tv ($54.99/mo), and Vidgo ($14.95/mo). I have limited experience with Sling TV and the stream quality is decent. All three of the streaming services have a limited free trial, which would allow you to sign up to see the game and then cancel before the trial is over to avoid future charges. The streaming services will need a decent internet connection (we have a 25MBs/sec connection in Florida and have no problem with streaming) and either a computer or something like Fire Tv, Roku, Apple Tv, etc.

Hope this helps those who are interested! And, let me preface my next comment by saying that I find the Lady Vols schedule this year to be distressingly weak, but, obviously the current coaching staff has only played the hand they were dealt. I find a number of the things that occur on the court to be frustrating. The distressing number of turnovers against weak teams, the lack of movement on offense, the seeming inability to hit a layup (and the seeming refusal to use the backboard in that endeavor), a substitution pattern that I have yet to figure out and a small hosts of other things that I observe in each and every game. But, I also see a group of young ladies who appear to be learning as the season progresses and who are exhibiting a fire and purpose that I so seldom saw in the last few years! And, that makes me hopeful for this team and the teams to come. I personally believe that no one should have expected a new staff to come in and effect an immediate radical change from the results of, what I considered, four years of deterioration.

So, for those of you who suggest that the team "isn't worth watching" unless they play to your "standards" or win every game, please feel free to ignore this information. Good luck finding a team or coach that you feel you can support!

Jim
Thank you for answering the original question. I have directv in Florida, so it looks like I won’t be able to see the game, which is beyond extremely disappointing. The game after Stanford also looks like a possible miss as well, but obviously Stanford is the important one. I don’t want to screw up my att/directv subscription, so am leary of trying the streaming services of another tv provider. If you discover any other way I will be able to see the Stanford game, please post here, thanks.

I agree. They need to learn to take smarter shots for one. I think the key missing ingredient is a point guard. Way to many careless turnovers.

You say the key missing ingredient is a "point guard" and then mention careless turnovers. It seems to me that some on here continue to hold visceral feelings about Jazmine Massengill that aren't truly founded on fact. If you look at her individual season stat line, she has committed only 11 turnovers through nine games, or an average of 1.2 TO/game. Of the guards we have available, Jaz has the best A/TO ratio and the most turnovers she has committed in any single game has been three, and in three games, including Texas, she had 0 TOs. If you are blaming the number of careless turnovers committed by the team as a whole on Jaz, as the point guard or on the lack of a "point guard", then I think your emphasis is misplaced. A good point guard can direct the flow of the team in the game, but they can't, in my opinion, be responsible for the individual play of all of the team members!

Were some of these careless turnovers? Yes, clearly. Would I like to see those reduced? Again, clearly! But, I personally think too many fans dog Jaz based on her performance last season. And this is not last season. She currently has the best A/TO ratio in the SEC. She is in the top 5 (4th) in A/game at 4.5 (Jordan Horston is 2d at 4.8)

If anything, her weakest point, in my opinion, is her field goal percentage. And this is a problem that plagues the entire team, with the possible exception of Rennia Davis and Tamari Key.

Could Jaz be better? Without a doubt! And, she is showing that game by game, in my opinion.

Jim

Thank you for answering the original question. I have directv in Florida, so it looks like I won’t be able to see the game, which is beyond extremely disappointing. The game after Stanford also looks like a possible miss as well, but obviously Stanford is the important one. I don’t want to screw up my att/directv subscription, so am leary of trying the streaming services of another tv provider. If you discover any other way I will be able to see the Stanford game, please post here, thanks.

You won't screw up your AT&T/Direct TV service by using another streaming service. I have AT&T U-Verse in Knoxville and use YouTube TV almost exclusively in Florida. Although I use my AT&T account to sign in to several streaming channels, while in Florida, that require a provider account and aren't on YouTube TV.

Do you have a smart TV or use of Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV or some other streaming device? If so, you can access streaming services through any provider account without adversely affecting any other existing service.

Jim

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
You say the key missing ingredient is a "point guard" and then mention careless turnovers. It seems to me that some on here continue to hold visceral feelings about Jazmine Massengill that aren't truly founded on fact. If you look at her individual season stat line, she has committed only 11 turnovers through nine games, or an average of 1.2 TO/game. Of the guards we have available, Jaz has the best A/TO ratio and the most turnovers she has committed in any single game has been three, and in three games, including Texas, she had 0 TOs. If you are blaming the number of careless turnovers committed by the team as a whole on Jaz, as the point guard or on the lack of a "point guard", then I think your emphasis is misplaced. A good point guard can direct the flow of the team in the game, but they can't, in my opinion, be responsible for the individual play of all of the team members!

Were some of these careless turnovers? Yes, clearly. Would I like to see those reduced? Again, clearly! But, I personally think too many fans dog Jaz based on her performance last season. And this is not last season. She currently has the best A/TO ratio in the SEC. She is in the top 5 (4th) in A/game at 4.5 (Jordan Horston is 2d at 4.8)

If anything, her weakest point, in my opinion, is her field goal percentage. And this is a problem that plagues the entire team, with the possible exception of Rennia Davis and Tamari Key.

Could Jaz be better? Without a doubt! And, she is showing that game by game, in my opinion.

Jim
I think she is showing amazing growth and deserves more credit for the fact they keep winning despite all the turnovers. As you pointed out she is definitely not the root of the turnovers. Jaz is gonna be our PG for the next 3 so get ready and we won't regret that ride she is a player. I've followed her since HS, she is a winner.

You won't screw up your AT&T/Direct TV service by using another streaming service. I have AT&T U-Verse in Knoxville and use YouTube TV almost exclusively in Florida. Although I use my AT&T account to sign in to several streaming channels, while in Florida, that require a provider account and aren't on YouTube TV.

Do you have a smart TV or use of Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV or some other streaming device? If so, you can access streaming services through any provider account without adversely affecting any other existing service.

Jim

Well, researching. Sling requires an antenna, Vidgo didn’t answer enough of my questions on their site, but Fubo works on iPad and iPhone, which I have, and has a free 7 day trial. Hoping it doesn’t require anything special for setup. Since game is on 18th, will wait a couple of days before signing up. My directv is also on my internet, so hope adding Fubo will not mess that up.

Do you know anything about Pluto TV, which is showing the game after Stanford?

Anyway, will let you know how it all works out. Thanks so much, you’ve been a big help. 🙂

I didn't get to watch the game tonight but looking at the box score I saw something very alarming. The score, we held them to 41 points and and almost doubled that ourselves. Great. But we had 17 turnovers to their 8 and even more alarming we got 4 steals their 14!!!! Wtf. How do you blow out a team that gets 14 steals off you? Had they shot 28% from 3 instead of 18 we'd have been in serious trouble. And who the heck is this Makenzie Wells she had 6 steals this game. In the 10 games preceding this she had 10. What is going on with ball security? Something has to give here. We are averaging 17 turnovers a game ranked 227 out of 338 schools. I am amazed we only have the one loss but seriously if they could turn the ball over just a bit less. The one good thing is outside of the one game we lost no one has made us pay for them. Our defense has nullified it. That's over starting next game and definitely in conference play. Stanford will make us pay. Hopefully they change whatever brand of talcum powder they are using or start using it.

I seriously need to go back and watch some games. How are they happening? Scary passes? Does everyone on the team have tiny hands? It seems to be mostly the guards with high turnovers and forwards on the opposing teams getting steals. Bad entry passes when trying to feed the post? Please make it stop whatever it is.

One of the reasons we turn it over is (at times) the guards penetrate and make a quick pass to a forward 3 feet from them, instead of taking the open shot....The forward is getting ready for the shot to rebound and suddenly the ball is in their face....

Another reason for the turnovers is the team is not over Macho Grande...Not sure they will ever be over Macho Grande. (I couldn't help myself)

Well, researching. Sling requires an antenna, Vidgo didn’t answer enough of my questions on their site, but Fubo works on iPad and iPhone, which I have, and has a free 7 day trial. Hoping it doesn’t require anything special for setup. Since game is on 18th, will wait a couple of days before signing up. My directv is also on my internet, so hope adding Fubo will not mess that up.

Do you know anything about Pluto TV, which is showing the game after Stanford?

Anyway, will let you know how it all works out. Thanks so much, you’ve been a big help. 🙂

There is a major flaw in your research. Sling does not need an antenna unless you are talking about getting local stations.

A great way to see the Stanford game is if you have roku or streaming tv take out the seven day free trial to Fubo Tv. You can then cancel after the game is played. For the Portland State game you can watch on Pluto TV either through your computer or Roku or smart streaming tv. Here is the Pluto TV website totally free Pluto TV

A great way to see the Stanford game is if you have roku or streaming tv take out the seven day free trial to Fubo Tv. You can then cancel after the game is played. For the Portland State game you can watch on Pluto TV either through your computer or Roku or smart streaming tv. Here is the Pluto TV website totally free Pluto TV
I have roku in my rig. I will try that.

There is a major flaw in your research. Sling does not need an antenna unless you are talking about getting local stations.

Whatever, sling requires this to watch, none of which I have.

WAYS TO WATCH

AirTV
Amazon Fire TV
Apple TV
LG webOS
Roku
Xbox One

Okay, obviously just learning about all these tv/internet alternatives. Some sites are a little more clear about how they work.

Last edited:
Wow, getting Pluto was easy, no signing up or anything. 😀

One of the reasons we turn it over is (at times) the guards penetrate and make a quick pass to a forward 3 feet from them, instead of taking the open shot....The forward is getting ready for the shot to rebound and suddenly the ball is in their face....

Another reason for the turnovers is the team is not over Macho Grande...Not sure they will ever be over Macho Grande. (I couldn't help myself)
Well, in that case, I'd blame the forwards they should always be ready for a pass. Some guards are distributors others not so much they should know their teammates' tendencies.

Well, in that case, I'd blame the forwards they should always be ready for a pass. Some guards are distributors others not so much they should know their teammates' tendencies.

They'll get in tune with
The "Pistol II"

Is there a way to watch the game if you dont have PAC 12 network with directv?
I believe if you go to the LV website, you will find a free link to the PAC-12 network. Usually the PAC-12 will allow fans of the non conference team, playing one of their conference members to watch the game free of charge.

Yes it is and I have said that from game one. I have not seen a lot things any better than last year. They have absolutely no plays on offense, when is the last time you seen a screen set. On defense with our length and we are to lazy to even put our hands up when they shoot, and more often than not they are wide open. The only difference that I see is she sits on the bench and does not run around whistling and stomping her feet. Texas is not even an average team. Take a lesson please from Coach Barnes as we were blowing that team out the other night, he met every player coming out of the game, was in their face and was telling them what they had done wrong, and it wasn't in a pleasant way. Most everyone has been critical of my comments because we were 7 and 0, well I think most everyone could see today. We will be beaten several times this season, and it won't be because the other team has superior athletes. I hope that I am wrong, but I have seen nothing to prove me wrong yet.
I don’t know what is the issue because KJH’s old team would have a very chance of beating the LVs. I am hoping that KJH has plan where we will see some improvements. Right now we do not have a real point guard.

Reactions: PG1
I don’t know what is the issue because KJH’s old team would have a very chance of beating the LVs. I am hoping that KJH has plan where we will see some improvements. Right now we do not have a real point guard.
Please see comments by CannonVol80 concerning point guard.

Reactions: ChattyVolfan
I believe if you go to the LV website, you will find a free link to the PAC-12 network. Usually the PAC-12 will allow fans of the non conference team, playing one of their conference members to watch the game free of charge.
Hope you’re right, but that didn’t work for the ESPN+ game, and actually, for some reason, that link didn’t work for this last game we played.

The LVs are lacking a player like Megan Walker of Uconn. A player who can take over a game offensively. They would have won today if they had such a player.

Where have you been?
Rennia Davis can play in the late status for the entire game. Ray Burrell Jordan horston both of them can take over for spurts.

Amazing!

I don't think that link on facebook is gonna work unless someone is allowing their subscription to Pac 12 network to be used as the link. Like almost anything else you must have Pac 12 in your channel lineup to be able to stream the network online. If it works will mean someone has a subscription and decided to post it online.

VN Store

Back