Guarantano for starter in 2020-2021 season. Poll

Will Guarantano start next season?

• Total voters
Just as title says
Do you think Guarantano starts next year?
If yes, will he be a heisman candidate
If no, who will start. Maurer, Harrison etc...

WTF???

Heisman..Do you have any idea how many QB's we've had wear the Orange that were miles ahead of Jarrett and never sniff Heisman candidate status

Yeah, that's a joke. You can't be a Heisman candidate if you can't hit the long ball, or consistently not throw late on your crossing routes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cgrish
As of right now, JG should absolutely be the starter for next season. The only way that shouldn't be the case is if he is very clearly outshined by competition. I'd love to BM, HB, or even Shrout take that next step and simply be so good that they have to be the starter. But as it stands now, it should definitely be JG.

Did any of them lose their grandmother Thursday on Thanksgiving? Probably not.

But I’m sure you were downright giddy with that 0-7 start JG had so you can post your five paragraphs saying how much he sucks.
No. And that's a pretty stupid thing to accuse me of. All I've ever wanted was for UT to have quality QB play. From the time he became a starter until a few weeks ago... JG had not given the Vols that. I personally gave up on him.... and unlike a lot of folks here have admitted I was wrong about his possibility of recovering.

He was awful. Nothing about his 0-7 start was pleasant for me any more than Maurer's bad start vs UK. Unlike a lot of folks I have one "agenda". I want UT to win. I "like" all Vols and favor the ones that help UT win. So if it is Maurer or JG or someone else... I don't want to see the ball thrown as badly as JG threw it vs Vandy.

Considering the circumstances, the fact that UT beat a team they hadn’t in 3 years, and sent the seniors off with an 18 point win, I think Pruitt will be happy with how JG played.
Doubt it. Pruitt is anything but satisfied, happy, or complacent. Did you hear the post Mizzou interview?

UT's D deserves praise for Vandy. The OL and run game do. JG... not so much except for his management of the run game. Which is actually still an area of significant improvement.

Reactions: RockyTop140
Did any of them lose their grandmother Thursday on Thanksgiving? Probably not.

Had no idea what you were talking about until I read it below. If he wasn't mentally ready then he shouldn't have played.

No. They weren't a major factor. The rain wasn't heavy and doesn't explain how badly off JG was for most of the game. But I expected you to try to make that excuse.... while you don't factor any of the reasons Maurer might not have been "consistent".

because maurer played like crap in great conditions. no rain, nothing!

Both of Vandy's QB's were more on target than JG. That's a sad commentary.

did vandy's qbs win the game?

Yes. When he plays well... I'll praise him for playing well. When he plays poorly... I'll criticize him for playing poorly. But that's not really the point. He earned my lack of faith with about two years worth of tentative, ineffective play. He played well for a couple of games... but I've only said that that is "good" if he keeps doing it... CONSISTENTLY. The Vandy game was not a good step in that direction.

but when maurer plays poorly, u make excuses! got it

The point is that you hate Maurer for some reason (possibly not football related per se) and criticize him without qualification for being "inconsistent". Then.... when JG isn't consistent... you make excuses you'd never accept if made for BM.

there mere fact we've come to this part where u felt u need to use the word "if" means you know ur full of crap, but u decided to type this circle arse ish anyways. unbelievable

Well you mean except that I've never "hated" JG? I've been critical of his poor play. I praised him for sticking with it and performing better than he ever has for 2 or 3 games... but the old JG was on display vs the worst team on UT's schedule outside of UTC. He was awful. Why don't YOU apply one standard to all of the QB's and just acknowledge that he stank it up?

bwahahahahaaaaa! okay......name a qb in the entire storm area that threw the ball well. use other games in the area.

Don't know. Maurer played well earlier in the season but he was very tentative vs UK. Could have been the injury. Could have been the coaches emphasizing ball security. Could have been UK's pass D. Could be him worrying about getting injured again. But he didn't play well and was replaced. JG played very poorly vs Vandy and was not replaced probably because UT had some success in the run game and JG has more experience in the O.

could've been his 47% completion on display. ya think?

False but that obviously won't keep you from making unfair criticisms of a TRUE FRESHMAN. You'll just keep "hating" the kid... except in your case I suspect there really is an element of genuine hatred.

who hates him? ah, you dont nwat the truth about ur guy. hell, you and 1vol8 wont even accept it from THE HEAD COACH HIMSELF! hard head makes a soft arse!

yet we still won by 18. like wtf is ur point
No thanks to JG’s play. Competent qb play yesterday and we win by 35 points. JG was as bad vs Vandy and he was good vs Missouri. I pray that someone beats him out in 2020, we can’t have up and down erratic QB and reach our goals next year.

Reactions: jarhead and cgrish
No thanks to JG’s play. Competent qb play yesterday and we win by 35 points. JG was as bad vs Vandy and he was good vs Missouri. I pray that someone beats him out in 2020, we can’t have up and down erratic QB and reach our goals next year.
well hope and hope.....but for three years and counting......guess you'll be sitting mad watching #2 take snaps in Neyland.

Reactions: k-town_king
I'm not sure he'll start the whole year. But he'll start at some point. Pruitt seems to have a lot of trust in JG and he obviously isn't afraid to rotate QBs. One of the other guys may make a jump next year and beat him out. But they were on a short leash this year, and I doubt next will be any different. He'll probably want to red shirt Bailey. So it'll probably be QB by committee with a preference for JG again next year.
Bailey is not coming here to redshirt, he's physically ready to play now and will be here in Jan. He'll be in the picture.

I'm a big JG fan and believe he's our starter next year and I believe HB and Maurer will compete for the critical #2 spot in the spring. I also believe the competition is gonna be close between Bailey and JG for the starting spot as I think Bailey is that good while JG has his deficiencies.

Fans want Maurer, and I certainly understand but this situation is very similar to when a young Brandon Stewart and Peyton Manning were both on the roster as FR behind Colquitt and Helton. Stewart was the athletic gunslinger with a cannon and Peyton the cerebral classic Blue Chip QB, Colquitt the steady veteran. A lot of you don't remember the Gridscape forums from back in the day, there were a bunch of Vol fans having the same arguments back then that we have today. Lots of Vol fans thought Stewart was the better option over Manning once JC got injured. I was kinda in the Stewart camp as I was much younger and Stewart was much more entertaining and had a cannon for an arm, Peyton was thin and didn't seem to have a strong arm or throw a tight spiral. You could tell early on though that PM was going to be the better QB, no disrespect to Stewart because he was a good college QB. I think it's going to be the same way with Bailey and Maurer, I think we'll all know pretty quickly who the better of the 2 are I believe all signs point it to being Bailey. Tennessee history tells me that model worked before and will likely work again.

Reactions: k-town_king
who hates him? ah, you dont nwat the truth about ur guy. hell, you and 1vol8 wont even accept it from THE HEAD COACH HIMSELF! hard head makes a soft arse!
You can’t seem to get past quite a few things that put you in the same category as K-town and Pulaski. I never once said it isn’t Pruitts call on who he wants to use at qb. What I did say is Chaney was hired to make those calls on HIS OWN SIDE OF THE BALL because he is PROVEN. But trusting Pruitts (defensive coordinator) evaluation of a QB over Chaney (proven qb coach and OC) is not something I’m prepared to put much trust in.

JG has done well with his second opportunity and deserves the credit he’s gotten. What kills me is reading you guys posts discrediting BM in defense of JG while COMPLETELY avoiding the truth. Stats don’t tell all. They only tell you how often EVERYONE involved did their job. You guys want to act like his completion % is all on him.... never mind the drops unless we’re talking JG right? Never mind his rushing yards right? Never mind the FACT that MSU was BMs worst game and outside of his 2 bad decisions was absolutely taking them apart right? And never mind that he’s only a freshman right?

The reason I respect sjt18 is he’s fair in his comparisons. That doesn’t mean we agree on all things. I for one think Maurer was rusty vs UK but started to settle in and was playing much better with ever series. He believes he didn’t play well. That’s cool because he’s respectful about it. You should try his posting style.

We’ll all be sitting mad when he costs us a couple of games next year with his inconsistent play
I don't see QB play being a team weakness next year. There will be some sloppy play at times because of our inexperience at WR, similar to what GA is going through now, but QB play will not be a weakness. All JG, Pruitt and the TEAM have left to prove is that they can win the big game. They'll all get at least 4 chances at it next year vs Ga, Fl, Bama and Oklahoma. I think we'll do better than expected in those 4 games with JG at the helm.

My vote is still I hope he transfers and never plays another down at the university of Tennessee again. I’ve seen a big enough body of work to not be blinded by a few good games.

We won by 18 in spite of jg very poor performance. Take the 2 long run td' jg only responsible for 14 points against a very bad vandy team. We cannot be in contention for sec east with jg. is it possible with one of the others we dont know but jg is not the answer.i would go with someone else

I don't see QB play being a team weakness next year. There will be some sloppy play at times because of our inexperience at WR, similar to what GA is going through now, but QB play will not be a weakness. All JG, Pruitt and the TEAM have left to prove is that they can win the big game. They'll all get at least 4 chances at it next year vs Ga, Fl, Bama and Oklahoma. I think we'll do better than expected in those 4 games with JG at the helm.
I hope your right, maybe he can put it all together for a full season next year.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

With jg at Helm we have no chance jg good for about 2 good games a year. And he has shown that his whole career. He does play much better when he doesnt start.

well hope and hope.....but for three years and counting......guess you'll be sitting mad watching #2 take snaps in Neyland.

I feel confident jg will be the starter next year and he will have more games like vandy than he will good games. Fair qb competition has not been done this year or last yr.jg was the hc choice regardless of how well others did. Up till ga game the only qb who took snaps with the ones in practice was jg. Others were not even considered till we were 1 and 4 and maurer comes in against ga and lights it up. He got injured then made some mistakes but his play in ga. Ignited something in the team that turned the whole team around. Jg is out for himself. Did u see any celebration from jg when gray made the 2 long runs for td? I didnt, but he sure celebrates if he completes a pass for a td.

You need help.

Jg has proven it time and time again. He is too inconsistant. He good for a couple of good games per year.and then most any other team beats us when he starts. I will say when he didnt start he played much better. I think we won 3 games this year when he started. If he would play as good when he starts as when coming off the bench he would be fine. He has had one good game this year against sec opponents as a starter, that's it.Played good enough not starting, but again one good game starting.

I feel confident jg will be the starter next year and he will have more games like vandy than he will good games. Fair qb competition has not been done this year or last yr.jg was the hc choice regardless of how well others did. Up till ga game the only qb who took snaps with the ones in practice was jg. Others were not even considered till we were 1 and 4 and maurer comes in against ga and lights it up. He got injured then made some mistakes but his play in ga. Ignited something in the team that turned the whole team around. Jg is out for himself. Did u see any celebration from jg when gray made the 2 long runs for td? I didnt, but he sure celebrates if he completes a pass for a td.
Once again, you may need help. Nearly every player to a man said the fire was lit when Pruitt had his team meeting following the FL loss. Why are you trolling so hard on this, it's getting old I think.

Right now today I don’t see that. I’ll trust the coaches who get paid millions to evaluate the situation over my opinion and any other opinion on this board. Plus, the evidence over this whole season is that JG is the best we have. When he’s bad he’s horrible though. I don’t think anyone would disagree with that.

That's my point he has far too many bad games.

That’s what I have yet to see anyone give credit. Had BM played as bad as these 3 are trying so desperately to convince people he did JG wouldn’t have felt pushed to get better. The team would have played even less inspired and Pruitt would’ve just said “I told you so” much sooner than he did and went back to JG by the Alabama game. Instead he outplayed Pruitts evaluation of him and had as much to do with the teams turn around as any other player or unit did. Even while sitting on the bench the fire he lit is still burning.

My point is that he played poorly. But that's not the reason I responded to you. Your attack on Maurer, a true freshman, for being "inconsistent" while idolizing JG and denying any criticism of his past or present weaknesses... is the reason I responded to you. Predictably while you "hate" Maurer for being "inconsistent"... you excuse the 4th year Junior for being... inconsistent and actually pretty terrible vs Vandy.

who hates him? ah, you dont nwat the truth about ur guy.
My "guys" are the UT Vols. Maurer and the rest including JG. I've criticized Maurer, a freshman, because in his last outing he was tentative. His confidence was a strength before. But he is a freshman... not a 4th year player.

BM had some great moments... He has much better ability than you want to admit. JG looked like he had turned a corner but the Vandy game casts doubt on that again.

hell, you and 1vol8 wont even accept it from THE HEAD COACH HIMSELF! hard head makes a soft arse!
Where did Pruitt say any of the things you keep saying about Maurer?

Pruitt has always liked JG. Who said any different? In fact, I said that Pruitt had committed to turning JG around after last season.... and that effort looked like a dismal failure for the first half of the season. Of course if you weren't so "hard headed"... you would have read with intelligence rather than through your cult lens.

VN Store

Back