Realistic options with our HC (Long Post)

I think things are turning for the best regarding this program. Pruitt still needs two more good to great recruiting cycles to meet needs for personnel and depth. He is a coach learning on the job and has made some bad mistakes but heck he came from bummer where they won almost all the time and comes to this complete rebuild. He knows football (listen to his pressers before and after games) and is literally getting the players to buy in to what he and staff are teaching regarding practice and games. Have they made mistakes as a staff sure but winning sure helps everything regarding what they are trying to do. Do not overlook anyone (aka Georgia St) as we can not afford to and win games (aka BYU) that you have won. Will be interesting as to how Vandy game goes Saturday.

I had posted this as a reply in another thread but I think I hit on a few points that are worth discussion in a thread by itself.

Phillip Fulmer - 2 losing seasons in 4 years.
It's been 80+ years since we stooped this low.
Fah'r Fulmer!!!! Can't let that happen again.

Lane Kiffin - 7-6 Meh... fly by night
He embarrassed us nationally, sabotaged recruiting, and left us with violations. Can't let that embarrassment happen again....

D. Dooley - New historic Lows.
Two losing seasons in 3 years(or was it all 3...?). Top that Fulmer! 20+ year win streaks against Vanderbilt & Kentucky snapped in back to back years.
Fah'r Dooley!!!! Can't let that happen again.

Butch Jones - Another Historic Low
Starts off decent and benefits from historic legacy recruiting classes. Quickly exposed as out of his element with a plethora of strategy & player relation disasters. Becomes condescending and patronizing towards media and our fan base.
Engineers our historic worst 8 loss season.
4-8, take that Fulmer & Dooley
Fah'r Butch. Can't let that happen again...

Jim Pruitt - New Historic Low/s?
5-5 and then wow does the other shoe drop hard for a 5-7 first season.
6 of those losses by +25 points.
Now possibly inline for yet another new historic low, a 1-3 win season.
Fah'r Pruitt!!??? Can't let this happen again..???

To everyone criticising the notion of giving Pruitt more time; How in the world does firing our 5th coach in this downward spiral after 2years, a shorter leash than his predecessors received, break the cycle of stooping to new historic lows?
We'll fire a NC winning Tennessee blue blood. It seems virtually no resume of Power5/SEC success can provide enough job security to sustain two losing seasons in a 4year period.

We tried unproven SEC royalty out of desperation after Kiffin ghosted us. Now we know better. Blood lines be daMned, a coach with little experience and a losing record below the Power 5 isn't an option.

A coach with a half way decent track record below the Power 5 will definitely be run out after sub .500 season if he maxes at 8/9 wins and loses to inferior talent.

Aside from some White Night savior like Urban Myer(which just isn't gonna happen) publicly proclaiming he wants the job; how does it make sense to fire Pruitt now?
What would it take to get a plan A or plan B HC that might be able to pull off the rebuild? Like Mike Leach, Gundy, or Les Miles?
I'm not asking to vent and pontificate over what might have, could have, should have happened in a 2017 hypothetical during/after the Currie to Fulmer transition.
I'm in the present here and now. Would one of those type coaches even be willing to take the job knowing that 8/9 wins isn't enough if they don't win the SEC East within 5 years and they have a losing season?
Would they take the job knowing that we are severely lacking in leadership from our upperclassmen and most the ones producing will be gone next year. J. Jennings, Calloway, D. Taylor, Bituli, all gone.
Knowing that it is inevitable some of our blue chip underclassmen will transfer when the coach that recruited them leaves.

How much would we have to overpay to get a coach with Power5 experience to take over? And how do we know we're not bringing in a new stooge? I personaly don't think Gundy or Leach would better 8/9 wins and am skeptical of how Miles would perform.

No, just not losing to the Sun Belt and beating Group of 5 teams like BYU would not be enough. Within 5 years we'd push them out because 8/9 wins and 3rd in the East isn't enough........ The outrage that has led to our coaching carousel is because we are Tennessee and we expect to compete for championships. At best we're placated for a few years and then it's time for a coaching search if we're not in realistic contention.

I think Pruitt & his staff need at least 1more year and should receive it.
I have several reasons for thinking this but I'll keep it as brief as I can as this is a long post.

1. Chaney has a proven record of notable progress (significantly improving yards & ppg) his second year when he switches teams. Several regulars posted links to very informed and statistical breakdowns during the off-season.
2. Pruitt has never had to build an elite defense. He has inherited rosters full of 4/5 star 3rd-5th year players and proved he can excel with 3 different programs. He is 1 1/2 recruiting classes away from having that kind of talent and experience at UT.
3. I believe Fulmer & Pruitt knew we needed a complete rebuild to change our culture and that our fan base is more surprised by our struggles than they are.
With the amount of upper classmen we've had hit the portal, Sapp going Pro, players leaving the team after ridiculing us on social meeting, Ignont being left behind (unannounced until the last second) on an SEC roadtrip; ......

You can't convince me that we are not conscientiously tearing down our team to rebuild the culture.
I think Pruitt severely overestimated how fast he could push the culture change while trying to compensate for our OL&DL deficiencies & the decision to go with JG this season blew up in his face to create a perfect storm.
The dumb Alabama hillbilly has just learned enough to know he can't disparage our team and say "I'll get 25more players in here that are willing to play the right way".

I'll stop explaining why I don't think Pruitt should be fired before the end of 2020, my arguments won't change anybody's mind.

What I want to know is how the people that think it's unreasonable to give Pruitt more time are proposing anything more realistic than watching our proud program stoop to new lows and embarrassments with yet another coaching search?
Long winded post which is mostly quantity of words over quality of substance. The point could have been made in 2 or 3 sentences or less.

What WE should have learned IMO is that the AD position is key to the success of the Vol football program. Not until we ended up with an actual football person in bringing back Fulmer did we begin to get a glimmer of hope in what we're seeing with Pruitt now. The prior ADs and the administrations we had could have given a rats axx whether the team was winning or not. We have to have an AD at Tennessee that requires winning as part of the total UTAD experience. Once that is in place the rest falls into line is my perspective.

Didnt read. I don't see how you could possible know what you're talking about when you don't even know the coach's name.

Well....no. Last season was pretty much par - beat two top 25 teams as underdogs, got killed in two bad performances to close the season. This year, the first 3 games we underachieved and underperformed. The remainder of the year has been a consistent display of an improving and maturing team.

If you can beat 2 top 25 teams, you SHOULD NOT lose to a bad Vandy team........you should also not go 5-7. If you got a team that can beat a very high ranked Kentucky and you go 5-7..........you under achieved.

Even if you “over achieved” to beat those teams........in no way should you lose to Vandy or go 5-7............unless you just simply don’t get it done.

I’m over last year, I’m excited about the remainder of this year.......but last year was an under achievement.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
If you can beat 2 top 25 teams, you SHOULD NOT lose to a bad Vandy team........you should also not go 5-7. If you got a team that can beat a very high ranked Kentucky and you go 5-7..........you under achieved.

Even if you “over achieved” to beat those teams........in no way should you lose to Vandy or go 5-7............unless you just simply don’t get it done.

I’m over last year, I’m excited about the remainder of this year.......but last year was an under achievement.
I agree.

Even if we beat Vandy, the stars align to give us Penn St/Michigan in the Citrus, and we dominate them by +10 points to end up 8-5. I'll be pi$sed if Fulmer gives Pruitt an extension.

I staunchly defended keeping Pruitt through 2020 when we were seemingly at our worst. I don't think he's earned any extra job security by salvaging the season though.

Next year win the East, or finish 10-3 with a convincing win in a New Year6 game to even consider an extension/raise for Pruitt.

Don't overreact and fire a coach. Don't reward a coach too soon again like we did with Butch either.

Reactions: JoAllan
Long winded post which is mostly quantity of words over quality of substance. The point could have been made in 2 or 3 sentences or less.
No way! Don't you remember how much vitriolic 'Fah'r Pruitt' doom & gloom the forum was filled with then.

The point behind the quantity of words at the time was to screen out all the emotional reactions like this week1 thread.
One mans perception... it appeared we treated like a scrimmage

Or this week 2 thread.
Fire Pruitt tonight

I freely admit I could have possibly trimmed it down by maybe 10-20%. Nonetheless I'm pleased with the rationale discussion I managed to get given the state of the meltdown on the boards when I posted this.

What a great day to have thankfulness!

Last edited:
No way! Don't you remember how much vitriolic 'Fah'r Pruitt' doom & gloom the forum was filled with then.

The point behind the quantity of words at the time was to screen out all the emotional reactions like this week1 gem.
One mans perception... it appeared we treated like a scrimmage

Or these week 2 gems.
Fire Pruitt tonight

I freely admit I could have possibly trimmed it down by maybe 10-20%. Nonetheless I'm pleased with the rationale discussion I managed to get given the state of the meltdown on the boards when I posted this.

What a great day to have thankfulness!
Actually when I replied to the post this morning I thought it was recent and not earlier in the fall. My mistake, should have looked at the date and then left it alone.

Actually when I replied to the post this morning I thought it was recent and not earlier in the fall. My mistake, should have looked at the date and then left it alone.
All good.

Way back in 2016 I was pumping sunshine and had plenty of posts along the lines of
Butch is the man!! Your just a negavol!
etc......

I didn't let up on the sunshine until after Vandy beat us:rolleyes:......

You'll have to match my level of petty and dig the threads up yourself if you want to link and quote me though.

The way I see it after the last 10years, anyone who hasn't had a meltdown or declared doom & gloom at some point can't be a real fan.

And yes, I'm 100% guilty of diarrhea of the mouth.

Reactions: Bret178
So is he the guy? I’d say 3 wks into yr 2 was likely too soon to tell.

I will freely admit that I jumped the gun. At that point, I was voting him to be an epic fail on another level from maybe even Dooley.

That was premature and that was wrong.

HOWEVER.....and I have not posted so as to not rain on the parade here, but these past few weeks haven't told me he's the guy either.

As it stands right now, South Carolina and Vanderbilt aren't bowl eligible. In a couple of hours, I don't think Mississippi State will be either. Missouri lost to Vanderbilt, Kentucky and Wyoming in the same season. It would be awesome if they pulled the ultimate embarrassment and added Arkansas to the list. Then, there is UAB and Chattanooga. Then, there is Kentucky who doesn't have a QB or didn't at the time they played Tennessee.

The real damn shame is that Tennessee could be sitting at 9-3 at the end of the year with their best win being BYU and they didn't get it done. This is the worst schedule Tennessee will ever see. While there may be years where the three toughest opponents aren't in the top 10, they will never have a season where 9 teams on the schedule are this God awful.

If there is anything to tip the cap to Pruitt for, it's setting the bar so low that people are giddy about beating these terrible squads. There was even a thread suggesting that he be named SEC Coach of the Year.

Next year is another year and another opportunity.

I had posted this as a reply in another thread but I think I hit on a few points that are worth discussion in a thread by itself.

He embarrassed us nationally, sabotaged recruiting, and left us with violations. Can't let that embarrassment happen again....

Two losing seasons in 3 years(or was it all 3...?). Top that Fulmer! 20+ year win streaks against Vanderbilt & Kentucky snapped in back to back years.

Starts off decent and benefits from historic legacy recruiting classes. Quickly exposed as out of his element with a plethora of strategy & player relation disasters. Becomes condescending and patronizing towards media and our fan base.

To everyone criticising the notion of giving Pruitt more time; How in the world does firing our 5th coach in this downward spiral after 2years, a shorter leash than his predecessors received, break the cycle of stooping to new historic lows?
We'll fire a NC winning Tennessee blue blood. It seems virtually no resume of Power5/SEC success can provide enough job security to sustain two losing seasons in a 4year period.

We tried unproven SEC royalty out of desperation after Kiffin ghosted us. Now we know better. Blood lines be daMned, a coach with little experience and a losing record below the Power 5 isn't an option.

A coach with a half way decent track record below the Power 5 will definitely be run out after sub .500 season if he maxes at 8/9 wins and loses to inferior talent.

Aside from some White Night savior like Urban Myer(which just isn't gonna happen) publicly proclaiming he wants the job; how does it make sense to fire Pruitt now?
What would it take to get a plan A or plan B HC that might be able to pull off the rebuild? Like Mike Leach, Gundy, or Les Miles?
I'm not asking to vent and pontificate over what might have, could have, should have happened in a 2017 hypothetical during/after the Currie to Fulmer transition.
I'm in the present here and now. Would one of those type coaches even be willing to take the job knowing that 8/9 wins isn't enough if they don't win the SEC East within 5 years and they have a losing season?
Would they take the job knowing that we are severely lacking in leadership from our upperclassmen and most the ones producing will be gone next year. J. Jennings, Calloway, D. Taylor, Bituli, all gone.
Knowing that it is inevitable some of our blue chip underclassmen will transfer when the coach that recruited them leaves.

How much would we have to overpay to get a coach with Power5 experience to take over? And how do we know we're not bringing in a new stooge? I personaly don't think Gundy or Leach would better 8/9 wins and am skeptical of how Miles would perform.

No, just not losing to the Sun Belt and beating Group of 5 teams like BYU would not be enough. Within 5 years we'd push them out because 8/9 wins and 3rd in the East isn't enough........ The outrage that has led to our coaching carousel is because we are Tennessee and we expect to compete for championships. At best we're placated for a few years and then it's time for a coaching search if we're not in realistic contention.

I have several reasons for thinking this but I'll keep it as brief as I can as this is a long post.

1. Chaney has a proven record of notable progress (significantly improving yards & ppg) his second year when he switches teams. Several regulars posted links to very informed and statistical breakdowns during the off-season.
2. Pruitt has never had to build an elite defense. He has inherited rosters full of 4/5 star 3rd-5th year players and proved he can excel with 3 different programs. He is 1 1/2 recruiting classes away from having that kind of talent and experience at UT.
3. I believe Fulmer & Pruitt knew we needed a complete rebuild to change our culture and that our fan base is more surprised by our struggles than they are.
With the amount of upper classmen we've had hit the portal, Sapp going Pro, players leaving the team after ridiculing us on social meeting, Ignont being left behind (unannounced until the last second) on an SEC roadtrip; ......

You can't convince me that we are not conscientiously tearing down our team to rebuild the culture.
I think Pruitt severely overestimated how fast he could push the culture change while trying to compensate for our OL&DL deficiencies & the decision to go with JG this season blew up in his face to create a perfect storm.
The dumb Alabama hillbilly has just learned enough to know he can't disparage our team and say "I'll get 25more players in here that are willing to play the right way".

I'll stop explaining why I don't think Pruitt should be fired before the end of 2020, my arguments won't change anybody's mind.

What I want to know is how the people that think it's unreasonable to give Pruitt more time are proposing anything more realistic than watching our proud program stoop to new lows and embarrassments with yet another coaching search?

Urban Myer is not a white knight.

CJP has a chance to even his coaching record at 12-12 this Saturday with an inherited roster that he and his staff have gotten a lot from and the staff is slowly building up depth with each recruiting class that is coming aboard.

I think next year's squad has a chance to get 9 wins and a major bowl bid.

2021 should see CJP and Tennessee compete for a possible SEC Championship.

Could there be another NC on the horizon? Time will tell the story.

I will freely admit that I jumped the gun. At that point, I was voting him to be an epic fail on another level from maybe even Dooley.

HOWEVER.....and I have not posted so as to not rain on the parade here, but these past few weeks haven't told me he's the guy either.

As it stands right now, South Carolina and Vanderbilt aren't bowl eligible. In a couple of hours, I don't think Mississippi State will be either. Missouri lost to Vanderbilt, Kentucky and Wyoming in the same season. It would be awesome if they pulled the ultimate embarrassment and added Arkansas to the list. Then, there is UAB and Chattanooga. Then, there is Kentucky who doesn't have a QB or didn't at the time they played Tennessee.

The real damn shame is that Tennessee could be sitting at 9-3 at the end of the year with their best win being BYU and they didn't get it done. This is the worst schedule Tennessee will ever see. While there may be years where the three toughest opponents aren't in the top 10, they will never have a season where 9 teams on the schedule are this God awful.

If there is anything to tip the cap to Pruitt for, it's setting the bar so low that people are giddy about beating these terrible squads. There was even a thread suggesting that he be named SEC Coach of the Year.

Normally, I agree with you gator. I think for an opposing fan on our board, you are the most rational and level headed.

You may be right, but all we can do is play who is on our schedule this year. You guys have played those same SEC east teams too. What does that say about Florida's 9-2 record? You lost to the best 2 teams you played. Your best win is Auburn. So what, Pruitt beat Auburn last year. Miami and FSU are not that great. So even though I understand you thinking we ought to pump the breaks, but almost everyone on the SEC network has said that if it wasn't for Coach O that Pruitt would be the coach of the year in the SEC. You may be right in the long run. At the same time, I'm almost certain that Mullen will never win a NC and he may never win an SEC title either. Hey, my opinion is just as valid as your opinion at this time.

P.S. You were wrong about MSU.

Last edited:
Normally, I agree with you gator. I think for an opposing fan on our board, you are the most rational and level headed.

You may be right, but all we can do is play who is on our schedule this year. You guys have played those same SEC east teams too. What does that say about Florida's 9-2 record? You lost to the best 2 teams you played. You beat Auburn. So what, Pruitt beat Auburn last year. So even though I understand you thinking we ought to pump the breaks, but almost everyone on the SEC network has said that if it wasn't for Coach O that Pruitt would be the coach of the year in the SEC. You may be right in the long run. At the same time, I'm almost certain that Mullen will never win a NC and he may never win an SEC title either. Hey, my opinion is just as valid as your opinion at this time.

If it makes you feel better, I'm already wrong. Mississippi State is going bowling.

For you kids at home, if you score a potential game tying TD, don't get an unsportsmanlike celebration penalty and move the extra point back 15 yards.

Another tip. As a general rule, don't pretend to be a dog and lift your leg to pee while in the endzone.

Just trying to give back and help the children with some life knowledge

Reactions: perico
I agree.

Even if we beat Vandy, the stars align to give us Penn St/Michigan in the Citrus, and we dominate them by +10 points to end up 8-5. I'll be pi$sed if Fulmer gives Pruitt an extension.

I staunchly defended keeping Pruitt through 2020 when we were seemingly at our worst. I don't think he's earned any extra job security by salvaging the season though.

Next year win the East, or finish 10-3 with a convincing win in a New Year6 game to even consider an extension/raise for Pruitt.

Don't overreact and fire a coach. Don't reward a coach too soon again like we did with Butch either.
I agree with this, we are a Young team with some pretty bad quarterback play during the first half or even 3/4 of the season. He shouldnt be fired for it, but he shouldn't get a raise out of it either. Win the east during tenure of current contract and he won't have to worry about any of it (not that he is)

Most fans don't understand that coaches can't turn water into wine. Watching the games the most talented players are freshman. Yes you can fire him bring in a new guy teach the team another playbook say give it a year and hope. Leave the man alone he is trying to fix something that has taken 10+ years to create. I know it's ugly but firing Pruitt would be a mistake. This is a ugly rebuilding situation just accept it.
Wow I forgot how rough September was. 🤦🏾‍♂️

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

True, we could’ve been 9-3 w/o beating any good teams. True, he still hasn’t proven he will return the program to glory (that concept is a fallacy regardless, but I will ignore that fact). But you’re wrong that the only thing he’s done to deserve a tip of the cap is set the bar low.

We can skip over upsetting two ranked teams in yr one. Forget the schedule and the wins/losses this year - if you know even a little bit about the game of football it is clear this team and these players are improving and moving forward. The individual development of some players has been quite impressive. JP’s handling of the QB situation showed a pretty deft touch that I wasn’t sure he possessed. More broadly on discipline issues, I think he’s handled the Jennings, Bryce Thompson, and Banks situations appropriately.

So nothing is for certain but he’s done a few things that show some potential

He hasn't fully shown me he's the guy either.

Pruitt's very tactful unsportsmanlike conduct penalty he got flagged for against USCe showed me he could be the guy.

He hasn't fully shown me he's the guy either.

Pruitt's very tactful unsportsmanlike conduct penalty he got flagged for against USCe showed me he could be the guy.

I basically am at the same point as I was before this season started. I don’t have a feel one way or another

I could see Chris Weinke going to FSU as an assistant coach for the next FSU head football coach.

LOL all he’s done is stack up SEC upset wins like cordwood. No they haven’t been vs top teams, they’ve been vs somewhat evenly matched teams - who were favored.

stack up SEC upset wins?

This goes back to setting the bar low. Auburn and Kentucky in 2018, yes. In 2019, all these games they were “underdogs” in was because they started the season 0-2. this isn’t hindsight. I made jokes about people lying that the other team was favored and I needed to run to Vegas. The sad part is I didn’t actually head to Vegas.

in this stretch, you are talking about a soon to be 4-8 South Carolina, a 6-6, 7-5 Kentucky with no QB, a 6-6 Missouri team that lost to Vandy, Kentucky and Wyoming in the same season, a soon to be 3-9 Vanderbilt and UAB.

I’m impressed he didn’t lose the team. I’m impressed that they did come around to playing at a much higher level despite the level of competition. Am I impressed that Tennessee was able to go out and beat these scrubs? No.

Reactions: MaTaLa
in this stretch, you are talking about a soon to be 4-8 South Carolina, a 6-6, 7-5 Kentucky with no QB, a 6-6 Missouri team that lost to Vandy, Kentucky and Wyoming in the same season, a soon to be 3-9 Vanderbilt and UAB.
Bah!
What about Cowbell-University?

That might be our best win and you just happen to leave it off....

VN Store

Back