Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's how I expect to see things shake out.

#1 College Football Playoff - SEC Champ goes (Georgia or LSU), LSU with 1 loss can also go...I doubt Alabama with 1 loss makes it, without Tua
#2 Citrus Bowl vs Big Ten - 1 loss Bama vs Minnesota/Wisconsin (whoever wins their game and then loses to Ohio State)
#3 Outback Bowl vs Big Ten - Georgia/Florida vs Penn State
#4 Gator Bowl vs ACC or Big Ten - Florida/Auburn from the SEC seems most likely and you still have Minnesota/Wisconsin/Michigan
#5 Music City Bowl vs ACC or Big Ten - Whoever doesn't get the Gator Bowl/Tennessee vs Minnesota/Wisconsin/Michigan or Louisville/Virginia/VA Tech/Wake Forest

Now if somehow 2 SEC teams go to the CFP then we've got a shot at the Gator Bowl, but the bowls are listed in order of "picking". So I expect at least 4 or 5 SEC teams picked before us: LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn (in that order unless Bama/LSU get beat in upsets).

ACC could end up in this order (assuming Virginia wins against VA Tech
1. Clemson 13-0 (9-0)
2. Virginia 9-4 (6-3)
3. VA Tech 8-4 (5-3)
4. Louisville 8-4 (5-3)
5. Wake Forest 9-3 (5-3)
6. Pittsburgh 8-4 (5-3)
7. Miami 7-5 (5-3)

So most likely going to the Music City or the Gator Bowl is Virginia Tech, Louisville or Wake Forest. Clemson will go to the CFP and Virginia would be heading to the Camping World Bowl.

So I'll make the prediction we draw the Music City Bowl and face either Virginia Tech/Louisville/Wake Forest from ACC or Wisconsin/Michigan/Iowa from the Big Ten
Alabama or UGA will likely get a NY6 bowl (if UGA loses to LSU, they'll have to decide between the two for NY6, if UGA wins, both LSU and UGA go to the playoff).

so i'd bump every other team up a rung based on how that shakes out.

Reactions: volsagain
A win period would create big momentum going into the offseason. Don't think we could handle Michigan or Penn State.
giphy.gif

I think Trey would like to come back for his SR year. He loves the Vols and wants to get his master's. But if wants to play at the next level, he'll probably be advised to take the money while he can and finish his education later. I'm sure he'll talk to a lot of people and make the best decision for his situation. He'll always rep UT well. I wish we had more like him.

I think Trey would like to come back for his SR year. He loves the Vols and wants to get his master's. But if wants to play at the next level, he'll probably be advised to take the money while he can and finish his education later. I'm sure he'll talk to a lot of people and make the best decision for his situation. He'll always rep UT well. I wish we had more like him.
it's tough because teams will hesitate to take him given his practice schedule. That is also incredibly understandable. If he can get a one or two day draft grade from the nfl, do it.

Reactions: Buddy’s Bandit
it's tough because teams will hesitate to take him given his practice schedule. That is also incredibly understandable. If he can get a one or two day draft grade from the nfl, do it.
he'll get a day 1 grade....i have little doubt about that. it'll all come down to the teams' medical review....and they'll be looking to poke holes in everything regarding his medical history.
i don't blame them.....it's totally worth it for any team that wants to draft him to find a way to either say "yes" or "no"...and i'd bet, based on the grade he'll likely get, a lot of teams are going to be looking for reasons to say "yes".......

Reactions: LA Vol
The SEC will place at least three teams in playoff/NY6 bowls. The Citrus Bowl takes the next highest SEC team, which is UF (if the Gators don't make the NY6). Auburn is probably first choice in the SEC’s "Pool of Six" bowls, so they could get the Outback. TAMU played in the Gator Bowl last year, and the Texas Bowl makes more sense for the Aggies, travelwise. It's hard to see the Gator Bowl not picking UT, given our momentum and ability to pack the stadium.

If UT and Bama win convincingly this week, the Outback could decide the Vols are the most desirable. We were there in 2016 and Auburn in 2015, so it's really just a matter of matchups. Take care of Andy, and I think we're FL-bound.

Alabama or UGA will likely get a NY6 bowl (if UGA loses to LSU, they'll have to decide between the two for NY6, if UGA wins, both LSU and UGA go to the playoff).

so i'd bump every other team up a rung based on how that shakes out.

Rose Bowl = Pac 12 vs Big Ten
Sugar Bowl = SEC vs Big Ten (so likely where Alabama lands if they don't make the CFP or Georgia/Florida)
Capital One Orange Bowl = ACC vs Big Ten/SEC/Notre Dame (I expect this is where 2nd in ACC ends up facing Notre Dame unless SEC doesn't have 2 in the CFP and then they'd snag up the top available SEC team Georgia or Florida)

So yeah, taking that into account we're now in the discussion for one of these 3 bowl games Outback/Gator/Music City. Looking like we should be in Florida then. Thanks for reminding me about the NY6 I had forgotten those!

Reactions: LA Vol and jakez4ut

I think he should return unless he's pretty much guaranteed he'll go in the first 2 rounds. I think him returning and having a full spring/fall camp would put him in the first round after next year when we'll likely be an 8-10 win team.

Reactions: UTProf and barrylee
The SEC will place at least three teams in playoff/NY6 bowls. The Citrus Bowl takes the next highest SEC team, which is UF (if the Gators don't make the NY6). Auburn is probably first choice in the SEC’s "Pool of Six" bowls, so they could get the Outback. TAMU played in the Gator Bowl last year, and the Texas Bowl makes more sense for the Aggies, travelwise. It's hard to see the Gator Bowl not picking UT, given our momentum and ability to pack the stadium.

If UT and Bama win convincingly this week, the Outback could decide the Vols are the most desirable. We were there in 2016 and Auburn in 2015, so it's really just a matter of matchups. Take care of Andy, and I think we're FL-bound.

From a "bowl game bid" standpoint, the absolute BEST thing for us is that LSU and Bama both go to the CFP. Then the Sugar/Citrus will take Georgia/Florida. Leaving the Orange Bowl/Outback/Gator bowl with the chance to snag a SEC team and likely picking between Auburn (8-4 losing 2 of last 3), Tennessee (7-5 with 5 straight wins and best fanbase in the nation) or A&M (7-5 with 2 straight losses)

****ing Andy lol

His practice schedule doesn't have to be as limited as it is. That's part of the very conservative plan UT put together to mitigate risk. As long as he remains healthy, NFL team physicians could recommend a different plan. The way he's been playing, it's likely some teams will think he's worth the risk. Is the risk worth it for him? That's what Trey and his family will need to decide. Returning to UT for another year, where he's monitored very carefully and every precaution taken would have benefits for him. But it could come at a cost.

i can't imagine we're not in the tax slayer or gator at this point.

Oregon losing this weekend threw a wrench in things. does that almost guarantee 2 teams in the SEC making the playoff?

hmm. UGA has to win to get in. LSU is in. if UGA loses and Bama beats Auburn..............Bama is back in? OU no shot right? Baylor, MN, PSU, are all out. Utah? i guess they have a shot if they win out. then the committe has to decide if it's Bama or them.

id guess bama in that scenario.

so UGA or UF to the SUgar bowl.

UGA/UF to the citrus...

then everyone else gets "put" in their bowl...........lol....Auburn to the Gator, aTm to the Tax Slayer, TN to the outback? or some variation of that.....

yeah, that makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: ionaVOL and LA Vol
His practice schedule doesn't have to be as limited as it is. That's part of the very conservative plan UT put together to mitigate risk. As long as he remains healthy, NFL team physicians could recommend a different plan. The way he's been playing, it's likely some teams will think he's worth the risk. Is the risk worth it for him? That's what Trey and his family will need to decide. Returning to UT for another year, where he's monitored very carefully and every precaution taken would have benefits for him. But it could come at a cost.

Plus, the new CBA in the NFL caps the number of full contact practices per year. I think it is 16, which is one per week. So, it's not like he is going to practice much more in the NFL.

Reactions: ionaVOL and LA Vol
We steamroll Vandy and we're arguably the best 7 win team in the country.

top 10 CFP after this weekend (my opinion)
1. LSU
2. OSU
3. Clemson
4. Georgia
5. Alabama
6. Utah
7. Oklahoma
8. Minnesota
9. Baylor (no way a 2 loss team should be ahead of them, with their only loss being a close one to OU)
10. Florida

Reactions: SweetasSoda

Been great that Pruitt has been keeping the players so bought in when it comes to practice.

There he is selling that you can't take a single practice rep off and be successful... meanwhile, Trey skipping err'thing and out there Polar Bearing folks on the field.

Also a testament to what an unquestionable beast Trey is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back