'20 TN DE Jay Hardy (Auburn commit)

What I'm saying is this happens every year with at least one recruit. All the insiders (including reporters) say a kid is all Vol. That they told coaches and recruits so. Then they put on another hat on their commitment date. Coaches take commits from kids, then ask them to look elsewhere, or completely ghost them. Some kids silently commit, then officially commit elsewhere and aren't mature enough to let coaches know. It's the nature of the beast in this generation. That's why I take supposed silent commits with a grain of salt. But to say a KID has poor character or upbringing because they handled their first major life decision poorly is a bit of a stretch.

Eh...some coaches have bad character too?
Still Doesn't excuse Hardy.

It would suck to be an Auburn fan. You have enough success to be highly ranked but you are firmly behind your rivals. Since you are high enough ranked you can't fire your coach so you aren't ever going to be better than Bama, LSU, or UGA. They are kind of like a Michigan but with even less hope.

Don't believe the being ranked too high to fire Gus would prevent them from getting rid of him. Look at Ga..They were consistently top 10-15 with Richt, as was LSU with Miles and both got replaced. Not sure what the Auburn decision makers obsession with Gus is, but it's more that reason he's still HC. He probably gets a pass this year because of starting a legacy True FR QB, but think next season is Gus's make or break season and it's the every other year where they play at Ala and at Ga. But they do get A'M and LSU at home and N.Carol is their best non conf game. Then throw in Ala and LSU both breaking in new QB's he could have a better season next year. Wouldn't say they were firmly behind their rivals, AU recruits at an elite level somehow almost every year.

Last edited:
Eh...some coaches have bad character too?
Still Doesn't excuse Hardy.

This always gets expressed as "he's young", but lying is pretty fundamental to right and wrong and generally understood by the time someone is 17. To the extent that a 17 year old struggles with that it does speak either to his character or his parents. My 5 year old special needs granddaughter gets that much.

I’d love to see Hardy flip to UT but I don’t foresee that happening. I do believe there are probably still communications going on between Hardy and the UT staff and I could see it developing. This whole thing is shameful and weird. I live in Chattanooga and the Hardy commitment has been a topic of conversation here and several parents with kids on McCallie’s team have told me Hardy was telling everyone, even his best friends on the team and at school, he was going to be a Vol and then he didn’t inform anyone of the reversal that he was going to Auburn. It seems like that gives some additional evidence to the idea that Hardy wasn’t upfront with the UT coaches. I’ve also been told that Hardy has openly discussed that his commitment to Auburn may not be a done deal. All of this could’ve been handled better but he is just a kid and none of us know precisely what happened here or the pressures he may have been feeling and why. So, the purported adults on here trashing the kid for not being totally upfront is shameful and needs to come to an end.

All in all, I still want Hardy to be part of the class. He’s an elite athlete with size and he plays a position of critical need for this class. His legacy status and being in-state are also important to me. But, I just don’t see it happening now with all of the bad blood about this commitment.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
I’d love to see Hardy flip to UT but I don’t foresee that happening. I do believe there are probably still communications going on between Hardy and the UT staff and I could see it developing. This whole thing is shameful and weird. I live in Chattanooga and the Hardy commitment has been a topic of conversation here and several parents with kids on McCallie’s team have told me Hardy was telling everyone, even his best friends on the team and at school, he was going to be a Vol and then he didn’t inform anyone of the reversal that he was going to Auburn. It seems like that gives some additional evidence to the idea that Hardy wasn’t upfront with the UT coaches. I’ve also been told that Hardy has openly discussed that his commitment to Auburn may not be a done deal. All of this could’ve been handled better but he is just a kid and none of us know precisely what happened here or the pressures he may have been feeling and why. So, the purported adults on here trashing the kid for not being totally upfront is shameful and needs to come to an end.

All in all, I still want Hardy to be part of the class. He’s an elite athlete with size and he plays a position of critical need for this class. His legacy status and being in-state are also important to me. But, I just don’t see it happening now with all of the bad blood about this commitment.
Is he signing early or in February.

Reactions: LittleVol

Well, "not being totally upfront" is a nicer way to say it. And I hope you realize that his legacy status will only be important to Vol fans if he is actually a Vol. From our perspective the fans nor the coaches are the cause of the bad blood, but if he causes Auburn to feel betrayed in the end that is different.

He should have handled it like Sewell and his family.

Reactions: NashVolDavis

VN Store

Back