Tim Brando: College football has become a colossal bore

Go back to the way it was during the 1970-1990s when Conferences had Bowl agreements and there was no National Championship Game and it was settled with the Final Top 25 Poll.

Lol...not just no but hell no. People think the CFP process is subjective....letting people vote on the final NC is that on steroids.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
It's a bore because it's the same damn teams every year.
Well, it's the same damn teams because largely the best high school players commit to playing for the same damn teams every year. If the NCAA truly cared about creating parody, they would implement scholarship/roster limits for each team based on ranking at the end of the season. If you finish #1, you get to sign the fewest recruits for the next season. If you finish #2, you get to sign the second fewest, and so on and so forth.

What's boring is the latest television deals the conferences (on behalf of their member universities) made to line their pockets, requiring fans to sit through 3.5 hour games instead of 3 hours. It's more $ to the universities in exchange for us fans enduring more commercials if watching by TV at home, or in person watching the guy on the field at Neyland holding the clock that counts down from about 3 minutes while TV commercials run.

Oh yeah, the student athletes whose welfare is so valued by the universities? How bout the 3 minutes of commercials on ESPN that ran after midnight Eastern Time with 30 seconds to go in this year's UT - Bama game in Tuscaloosa? That was an injury timeout, but the injured player was already leaving the field when the TV coverage went to commercials. Not sure when our Vols finally got home after that game.

Rant over!

Great points. Add in the refs are ruining the games. They review every other play, it seems. If you can't determine conclusive evidence after 90 seconds the call stands. They waste way too much time. 3.5-4 hour games when it's a lot of downtime kills the excitement.

Reactions: VolsSince78
The whole playoff format has down graded college football. None of the bowls matter anymore. None of the matchups matter unless you're in the playoff. Bowl season used to be much more fun. Wouldn't say boring just lost it's luster. The Rose Bowl for example used to be a thing, now it's just maybe a playoff game.jmo

To get more interest, we need the Cinderella story. That can't happen if only blue bloods are in. An eight game playoff would help odds for more excitement.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Every Conf fans wants to claim they are the best! So it’s a no brainer the 5 Champs from the P5 and then the top G5 team! This will leave so many good matchups in the New Years 6 and other bowl games! Imagine in a New Year’s Day bowl game BAMA and the loser of SEC Champ game playing the other top teams in Big 10 or Big 12 or PAC 12! No brainer!

There was a ton wrong with the way they used to do it. Also I don't get this "the same boring group of teams". If we had the BCS in place that wouldn't magically change, it would still have been the "same boring" teams fighting for 2 spots instead of 4.
If you can find where I mentioned the BCS, show it to me. You're making a straw man argument. There was nothing wrong with how it was done before, it was simply different. There was no grave injustice that bad to be righted and when there were games all over the country that could have a part in deciding the national championship, January 1st was a very exciting football day.

The Playoffs have certainly diminished the bowl games, also over the last few years with the players deciding to not play in bowl games has left a bad taste in my mouth. Should we mention the coaching contracts worth millions upon millions.... we have always known the money was there but its Obvious it's a business now.... they used to hide the fact but not anymore

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
not that anyone is asking, but they better be careful not to regulate too much contact. Spearing a guy in the helmet, sure. However, they need to remember the physicality is why people watch it. The gladiator spectacle. I just hope they look at NASCAR and realize they took the sports fans for granted and put so many rules that many people (including myself ) quit watching altogether.
While I get your passion for the physicality of the sport being under siege, I think the concerns on the supply side of the entertainment is winning out over the consumer demand side. I have heard that fewer and fewer boys are playing football due to the focus on the frequency of debilitating or worse injuries occurring in the sport. We all know this has been happening for decades but the media really focuses on it with all the anecdotal stories. The $$$ involved exacerbates the negativity. How many millions did the Bama QB lose after his injury last week...an injury the media portrays as needless if not reckless? While he is certainly high profile there are other stories out there of injuries causing an end of someone’s opportunity to make major income or worse alters their quality of life at a young age. These stories will not go away as long as billions of $$$ are being invested, received and spent.

Georgia LSU will be a big game.

Auburn Bama will be a big game.

Michigan Ohio St will be a big game.

I don't know what he's talking about. The playoff creates more meaningful games, not less. Auburn Bama for example would be meaningless without the playoff.
Let's do away with the playoffs, and see if Auburn-Alabama fans consider the game meaningless

In my opinion, the non conference games for the power 5 schools are a big problem and are the cause. Come up with a rotation to play two games every year with other power 5 teams ( a home and home ). Eventually everyone plays each other and fill the other two games with a FCS and a non power 5 school. The season will be more enjoyable and the smaller schools still get paid.

I still say they need to realign the conferences. 14 teams in each conference, 8 conferences. Regular season, you play everyone in your conference. 13 games. There is no championship game or divisions. 13 games, 1 bye week which is the same for everyone.

Winner of each conference gets a spot in playoffs. Seeding is done by random. 8 teams in playoffs done at neutral sites.

The other teams are pitted against each other on a rotating schedule for bowls. #2 in the SEC would play #2 in the ACC this year, but would play #2 in Pac 12 next year. Top 7 teams in each conference get to play each other. 48 teams, so 24 bowl games filled with matchups you dont get to see any other time.

I like this because:
1. You find out who is the best team every year in the conference. Every game matters.
2. You would get to play at every school twice in a 4 year career.
3. It promotes a semblance of conference pride.
4. Still gives you bowls for $$$, but the matchups provide for more equal teams, and you dont see teams play each other except for in bowls. Would make them more meaningful IMO.
5. 8 teams is 3 rounds of playoffs. Would mean 16 games to win it all. Round one is first weekend in December (when conference championship games are), round two is two weeks later, and the final is New years day, along with all of the #2 games in the bowls.

This sounds great in theory, but there would ultimately be huge inequities that arise year after year with that many conferences and teams. I actually tried to put something very similar to your plan on paper a few years ago. The first thing I had to do was lower the amount of conferences to 6 and lower the number of members to 12 per conference or 72 teams total. There just isn’t 112 teams out there that are worthy to participate. The next thing I had to do is totally dismantle the current power 5 conferences and reapportion them. Even with 72 teams I found It very challenging to make the 6 conferences all competitive and fair. Probably 75% or more of the marquee teams are East of the Mississippi River. I had a little trouble finding enough teams west of that boundary to fill in two conferences. The bigger challenge was piecing together 4 competitive conferences on the east side. Remember I did this back when Miami and FSU were much stronger programs. There was no way to keep especially the SEC but also the Big 10 and even ACC largely the same and some how come up with a strong 6th conference. I don’t think I was ever totally satisfied. The SEC probably got dismantled the most.

Reactions: TNHopeful505
Great points. Add in the refs are ruining the games. They review every other play, it seems. If you can't determine conclusive evidence after 90 seconds the call stands. They waste way too much time. 3.5-4 hour games when it's a lot of downtime kills the excitement.
Agreed. Furthering the problem, now the networks are banking more ad money. So, they won’t likely be for shortening.

Uh no. It’s like trophies for losers. It diluted the achievement of making a bowl. The fact that UT or any team can make a bowl at 6-6 is laughable.
Why? They've always been exhibition games. What's magical about 6 or 7 or 8 wins being the minimum if somebody is willing to pony up the money and put on a game?. ...And there have always been 6 and 7 win teams in bowl games. It's just that the selections were political and to sell seats.

People are pining for good ole days that never really were.

Last edited:
The NCAA could do a couple things:

1. Raise the win minimum for bowl eligibility to 7 or 8 wins thus thinning out the amount of bowl games played.
2. Expand the playoff to 6 or 8 teams. It’s got to negatively affect a team when they realize there’s no chance of making the playoff after losing 1 game. By increasing the pool of potential champions, teams won’t mail it in if they’ve lost 1 or 2 games.

But this is the NCAA and money comes first. So, more bowl games it is!
This...and make the minimum bowl eligibility 7 wins (better than .500). (Sorry, continuing edit...) It just doesn’t seem right to have a team gain bowl eligibility and if they lose the game have finished the season with a losing record.

Imo every game rises or falls on it's own. A 42-0 game before halftime is a bore. Army vs Navy going down to the wire is a joy to watch.

If Brando only chases the playoff teams and gets no joy out of anything else....well, that's his problem,

Uh no. It’s like trophies for losers. It diluted the achievement of making a bowl. The fact that UT or any team can make a bowl at 6-6 is laughable.

Vols haters gonna hate Vols. Much as we bicker and snipe at each other, I don't completely disagree with you on this. But I won't look with disdain on our Vols if they make a bowl. We have wandered the desert of despair far too long with only two sips of water from dirty springs to date. So while I find the bowl level we may go to a bit bitter tasting, gag-worthy even, it's balanced by a chance to see our Vols once more before tootsie-ball season ends.

Vols haters gonna hate Vols. Much as we bicker and snipe at each other, I don't completely disagree with you on this. But I won't look with disdain on our Vols if they make a bowl. We have wandered the desert of despair far too long with only two sips of water from dirty springs to date. So while I find the bowl level we may go to a bit bitter tasting, gag-worthy even, it's balanced by a chance to see our Vols once more before tootsie-ball season ends.
th57KA2KV6.jpg

VN Store

Back