Tim Brando: College football has become a colossal bore

College basketball turned themselves into one big TV Show called the NCAA Tournament. The regular season is just a four month long advertisement to watch that upcoming TV show. No single individual regular season game means anything.

I think college football is pretty close to that now. It really cheapened itself to me when it promoted an Alabama team that didn't win its division and didn't win its conference, into being the champion. But, full disclosure, in general I find all football mostly boring and unwatchable due to all the delays legislated in with situational rules and reviews.
I quite enjoy sitting down to watch weeknight games on cold winter nights in Jan. It beats all the other crap on TV

Actually the "Boring" part is all the ANTI SEC talking heads giving Tongue Baths to
Pac 12 and Big 10 teams!!!

giphy.gif

I wish we could go back to the BCS.
I prefer pre BCS. Back when top-notch games were scheduled for the regular season they're going to be here any minute,and the need for a proven national championship just did not exist. The only change I would have made would be to do away with the ironclad tie-in between the Rose bowl end big ten /PAC 8.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
It's a bore because it's the same damn teams every year.

I think we've kinda seen it evolve to the likes of the basketball blue bloods which hurts excitement. Bama, OSU, Clemson, and OU are the Kentucky, Duke, UNC, MSU of football. The rich get richer.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
What Brando doesn’t realize is that playing players is going to result in much much more of what he doesn’t like about college football

There is something wrong with college football when the end of the year games have SEC and ACC teams playing FCS or small D1 schools instead of playing a 9th conference game! These games allow too many teams to get 6 wins and a bowl when they don’t deserve it!

Need to move the bowl games to the 1st off the season and only playoffs at the end. Bowls would be similar used like early season basketball tournament’s then NCAA tournament at the end. Also keeps all players playing and no boycotts by any players while waiting on draft day.

One thing I would like to see, tone down the " game of the century" every freaking weekend. So many games are presented like it's the Superbowl. It's over the top. 6 hours of pre game discussion, etc.

College football is by far my favorite sport. I don't even watch the NFL except maybe a playoff game or two if something historic might happen and the super bowl.
CFB is unpredictable and every loss feels catastrophic. I think the season is fun, but you only get 12 chances maybe 13 a year. So each one matters. Games are fun and unpredictable (see GaSt, USC @ UGA, Minnesota). Enjoy it.

not that anyone is asking, but they better be careful not to regulate too much contact. Spearing a guy in the helmet, sure. However, they need to remember the physicality is why people watch it. The gladiator spectacle. I just hope they look at NASCAR and realize they took the sports fans for granted and put so many rules that many people (including myself ) quit watching altogether.

And who cares how many bowl games. If you don't like it don't watch, but I enjoy a college football game everyday for a couple weeks.

We live in a day and time where we are encouraging inclusion. I feel CFB is not practicing this. The G5 conference teams have no chance at the CFB playoff. Why not have their own tournament? That would be more interesting to watch than some of the boring bowl game matchups that we constantly see each year.

I may be one of the few that listened to the whole podcast and I agree almost completely with what he said in that interview.

I read somewhere, and I tend to agree, that having a 4 team playoff translates to about 10 teams realistically having a shot to make the playoffs going into that year. At least 4 of those are the same teams year-in/year-out. This has a dramatic effect on recruiting and creates what we have now, a top heavy view with little drama when all is said and done. If you expand it to 8 teams then that should mean that 16-20 teams have a shot to make the playoffs at the beginning of the year. Go to 16 teams and that becomes 30-40. Therefore, the more you expand it the more the top level recruits see they can compete for a championship by going to more than one of the 4 schools they see now. This will increase parity and, subsequently, more competitive games in the regular season. I don't think they should go to 16 right away, but 8 seems like a reasonable thing to do now.
Yeah, as far as recruiting, 85 scholarship players is the limit, so it's not like the old days when you could sign everybody (and kids didnt jump into the transfer portal after the fourth game of the season). In the last 50 years, there have been 22 different mythical National Champions. Of those 22, there were 12 teams which were crowned 40 times. So in essence there has been, at least for the past 50 years, only 12 different teams who had the greatest chance to compete for the top prize. And there was no CFP or BCS for most of those years. NCAA football has always been about the haves and the have-nots. Today it's just a different roomful of king-makers: the Playoff Comittee.

Reactions: C/O
I think the 4 team playoff is the perfect number. As much as the BCS got a bad wrap, it worked most years. But there were a few years (04 comes to mind off the top of my head) when a 3rd or even 4th team deserved a chance. This gives us that.

If we go to 8 we'll start seeing 2 or even 3 loss teams in the playoff, then the college football regular season, which is the best and most meaningful regular season in all of sports, loses its luster. What is hurting the bowl system is simply too many bowls. There used to be 20-something. Now there's 40 or more (I think). Nobody's watching all of that.

I think the only argument against what we have now is we need some more transparency in the process.

Reactions: friVOLity
I don't agree with CF being a bore, it's definitely become more frustrating with the rule changes and the NCAA being a complete joke.

I don't understand the complaint. More football is always a good thing. College football is the only sport i can think of where teams create their own destiny. The Nationals won the world series this year after barely finishing above .500 during the regular season. The NFL has the same premise. College basketball's regular season is completely meaningless. EVERY game matters in college football. That's the beauty of it. I'm sitting here watching Colorado State/ Wyoming. I couldn't care less about either team, but it's a border war and one team is fighting for bowl eligibility. It's entertaining. It's freakin college football! I say keep the teams playing as long as possible. Hell, I'd have them play year round if it was possible.

I agree, the game has become a bit lame. Between all of the official reviews, the TV timeouts, the sham targeting calls...it’s just killed the momentum.

As far as the season is concerned, it sucks losing a game early on and then being like well damn...no playoff for us. The Sugar Bowl and all of those big name games from the past are discounted now. I definitely miss the BCS.

Reactions: thehill98
I still say they need to realign the conferences. 14 teams in each conference, 8 conferences. Regular season, you play everyone in your conference. 13 games. There is no championship game or divisions. 13 games, 1 bye week which is the same for everyone.

Winner of each conference gets a spot in playoffs. Seeding is done by random. 8 teams in playoffs done at neutral sites.

The other teams are pitted against each other on a rotating schedule for bowls. #2 in the SEC would play #2 in the ACC this year, but would play #2 in Pac 12 next year. Top 7 teams in each conference get to play each other. 48 teams, so 24 bowl games filled with matchups you dont get to see any other time.

I like this because:
1. You find out who is the best team every year in the conference. Every game matters.
2. You would get to play at every school twice in a 4 year career.
3. It promotes a semblance of conference pride.
4. Still gives you bowls for $$$, but the matchups provide for more equal teams, and you dont see teams play each other except for in bowls. Would make them more meaningful IMO.
5. 8 teams is 3 rounds of playoffs. Would mean 16 games to win it all. Round one is first weekend in December (when conference championship games are), round two is two weeks later, and the final is New years day, along with all of the #2 games in the bowls.

VN Store

Back