Tim Brando: College football has become a colossal bore

I agree. Expand it to 8 teams. Conference champions and the rest be at large bids. The current format doesn't work.
The 8 teams could play in the 4 New Years Eve/Day games to start the playoffs. Make those games mean something again and teams won’t have such a long time off between season end and the playoffs.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Brando is complaining about something all the tim but I think the bowls will beg the CFP committee to expand to 8. If your bowl is outside the CFP, it’s irrelevant. Players won’t play in them, fans won’t attend or even watch. Soon the $ will begin to dry up for teams outside CFP so the solution will be add more playoff teams.

It’s about the $

If it's such a bore for him, maybe he should quit his job. College football is still my favorite sport. I enjoy it much more than the NFL and college basketball (which is only interesting for about 2 months).

I will agree that there are too many meaningless bowl games, though. That has gotten out of control, but the regular season, the major bowls, and the playoffs are still very interesting.
I listened to the podcast and did not get the same sense that he thought the late season games were boring. His big gripe seems to be that we can predict in July who is going to be in the playoff and thus the playoff should expand to 8,

He thinks the system is rigged toward teams with a pedigree and was particularly harsh, and probably correct, in his critique of Clemson as a team that has really not played anyone.

IMO, since the 4-team playoff started, by the end of the championship, the system has managed to find the best team. Maybe this year is the year that doesn’t happen.

Only in the same way that college basketball has become a colossal bore during the regular season.

TV skews everything. Saturation of regular season games, bowl game tie ins are the same ole- same ole and in the end, they selection committee is going to put the 4 most powerful lobbies in the playoffs.

I can't believe Brando wrote it though. Must have been before LSU beat Bama. He's a huge LSU homer and I can't imagine him being against anything that includes the Tigers in the playoffs.
You would like the podcast - Brando's point was same as yours - system is rigged toward big names. And yes, he threw a lot of love toward LSU and Orgeron.

Last edited:
Agree. I think anybody with any sense knew this was going to happen. At some point they will expand the playoff, which will make the regular season even more meaningless. It will also lead to more corruption as the leagues attempt to control who goes based on the fan base and potential revenue.

I still think a 6 team playoff(1 and 2 get a bye) is ideal. It makes being #1 or #2 really important. I would even support a 10 team, I just think being #1 or #2 should have some reward at the end.

yep no more than 6 teams. In a normal season that’s about all the teams that actually have a chance anyway.

Only in the same way that college basketball has become a colossal bore during the regular season.

TV skews everything. Saturation of regular season games, bowl game tie ins are the same ole- same ole and in the end, they selection committee is going to put the 4 most powerful lobbies in the playoffs.

I can't believe Brando wrote it though. Must have been before LSU beat Bama. He's a huge LSU homer and I can't imagine him being against anything that includes the Tigers in the playoffs.

You are right on with the bowl tie ins being same old conferences and teams. Go to an 8 team play off and get rid of the bowl tie ins. The number of bowls is ridiculous. As far as TV, I’d stop broadcasting any games not played on Saturday.

I say we play only the SEC East teams and then the top 64 teams go into a tournament for the rest of the season. Win and move on, winner take all.

I want an 8 team playoff, and a big overall change for college football in general. However, you guys complaining about too many bowls, how does this negatively effect you or Tennessee ? Why would you want less college football? If you don’t like the whatever.com bowl don’t watch it. I’d rather see some of those games during the holidays than some of the other stuff that is on.

It is beyond a shadow of a doubt that certain teams are given more leeway or get calls for them.
Yep. Refs were determined for Bama to win. They also did all they could to help Uscjr and KY. Funny how against SC, 2 td's got called back (rightfully so), but their 3rd shouldn't have been. Just stupid. If you watch the replay, you can clearly see the ball is in his left hand and doesnt quite make it to the goal-line. Should've been 41-14. With KY, we had 3 called back over bogus penalties. They were trying their hardest not to call our touchdowns. The illegal receiver call in particular baffled me. How is a TE not a legal receiver? 🤦

Reactions: VOLSONLY
I used to look forward to New Year's Day, watching the Cotton, Rose, Sugar, and Orange Bowls. Sometimes, even the Fiesta Bowl, but I think that addition diluted the field a bit. Then, we could argue who should be number one. I think they ruined it , at least for me.

The Cotton had Southwest Conf champ, usually Texas or Arkansas, against a strong independent or a conference runnerup. Rose had Pac 8 champ, usually USC/ UCLA/ Washington against Big 10 champ, usually Mich or Ohio St.

Sugar was SEC champ, usually Alabama/Auburn/Georgia against a top independent team like Notre Dame/Pitt/Penn State/Miami/Florida State. Orange was somebody like Nebraska/Oklahoma against a top independent. It was all over in one big day. This was also before the SEC and others had a conference championship game. You had better win your regular season championship or you might get left out.
Yep. I’m showing my age, but miss the good ole days. It was better!

I do long for "ye dayes of olde" wherin we would watch as many bits and pieces of the games during the commercials for our favorite game. Them we would all have something to argue about as regards who went where in the top 25. You would think that the writers and TV guys would feel the same way, considering how much ink would be generated arguing about who deserved what.

Reactions: DuckinVol
The NCAA could do a couple things:

1. Raise the win minimum for bowl eligibility to 7 or 8 wins thus thinning out the amount of bowl games played.
2. Expand the playoff to 6 or 8 teams. It’s got to negatively affect a team when they realize there’s no chance of making the playoff after losing 1 game. By increasing the pool of potential champions, teams won’t mail it in if they’ve lost 1 or 2 games.

But this is the NCAA and money comes first. So, more bowl games it is!

Reactions: DixieVol

VN Store

Back