Poll: Should Guarantano transfer?

Should Guarantano transfer?

• No. He should not transfer. He has earned our respect

Votes: 699 69.1%
  • Yes. He should transfer.

Votes: 323 31.9%

• Total voters
Do I want him to? No.

Should he? Maybe. Really depends on what he thinks is best for him. He no doubt loves and respects the team and coaches, but I'm not sure he loves Tennessee and I can't really blame him. A lot of people went overboard and took things too far.

I hope he stays. I remember Jonathan Crump and I never imagined he would end up being the quarterback he turned out to be. Whether or not JG makes that kind of improvement or not, it’s worth having him come back just to see. If he gets beaten out by one of the younger guys, so be it but his play of late says there is the possibility that he’s beginning to get it under his 4th offensive coordinator.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Put a poll in front of us and we can’t stop ourselves.
giphy.gif

We need.polls for our poles.

tenor.gif

Well the number of votes are higher than the number of voters by a few, so yeah.

About the question of transferring, it seems to be posed as if there's only two choices here. He has earned our respect, or he should transfer. I don't take the question from the standpoint of what our fans or team should want, but what's in his best interest. I think it's absolutely in his best interest to transfer as a fifth-year senior, play immediately somewhere with a fresh start, and let the rest of the quarterback drama play out here so we can get on with our future. That's what I would tell him.

Fair enough, I noticed it was off a few and figured several probably voted yes and no for whatever reason, but I didn't see it as ridiculous. Anyway....

I read the OP as "Do you want him to", because how could any of us know if he should?

Did you think this thread was going to have an effect in his decision?
No. I don’t think so. I just think people should stay in their lane, and leave the football decisions to players and coaches. I get pissed off everytime I read some of the d.a. Things people come up with to speculate on.

No. I don’t think so. I just think people should stay in their lane, and leave the football decisions to players and coaches. I get pissed off everytime I read some of the d.a. Things people come up with to speculate on.
I agree there. Did you see the response about "what's his decision got to do with his family"? Lol.

Reactions: Kngsport VFL
In my humble opinion, the "game has slowed down" for Jarret Guarantano. He is processing action quicker, he is learning from his coaches, and he is growing as a leader. The poll wasn't directed at JG, who I think will lead this team through next year. This poll was directed at the fans. Almost 25% of the 420 votes cast by the fan base (represented in this poll) are in favor of some type of separation of JG from our fair University. I am surprised by this, but each fan has his own reasons for voting.

so 25% are wrong...nobody is perfect...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

In my humble opinion, the "game has slowed down" for Jarret Guarantano. He is processing action quicker, he is learning from his coaches, and he is growing as a leader. The poll wasn't directed at JG, who I think will lead this team through next year. This poll was directed at the fans. Almost 25% of the 420 votes cast by the fan base (represented in this poll) are in favor of some type of separation of JG from our fair University. I am surprised by this, but each fan has his own reasons for voting.
It's true the game might be slowing down for him. But why did it take so long?He's a junior with plenty of playing time. It could also be that the competition it's not as good this late in the season. What if we had to play Florida again next week? Or Alabama?. I'm going to give credit where credit is due. He has definitely helped us pull out out a few games lately. However you have to take everything into consideration including the competition.

Seems to excel coming off the bench after watching a series or two. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. JMO.

Reactions: GBOx2
Biased poll. One of the options has commentary, he has earned our respect, the other says no he should transfer. Maybe you can add, “no he should transfer, he has our respect and we wish him the best” probably get better results. Just sayin 🤷🏼‍♂️

I am surprised someone would use that avatar in Knoxville of all places.

No he should not.
1. This board would fall apart with nothing to chat about if he were no longer around.
2. Everyone wouldn't have an opinion that is 100% right anymore...

Reactions: beneVOLence
Why would the starter, who is winning divisional battles on the road, transfer?!

Dumb question is dumb
you must not of been around a couple weeks ago. Also to answer the question I have a ton of respect for JG and for that reason I think he should do what’s best for himself and transfer

This young man is a very solid VFL. I like him as part of the GBO family no matter what he chooses to do after this year. In my opinion, he is a perfect example of why we shouldn’t rush talent to the field. If he’d watched his freshman year and maybe half his sophomore year, he’d be everyone’s favorite right now. Facts are these:
-he can absolutely spin the damn ball
-he loves the game and running thru the T
-he’s tough as isht
-he’s got a desire to be good maybe great and a work ethic to match
-his teammates vouch, even his competitors at the position
-he has the most firm grasp on the offensive concepts he’s been given, from way too many OC’s
-he don’t chuck bottles
-he has displayed bad body language, but I’ve seen worse (I realize that’s more subjective than factual)
-he’ll finish his career in our top 10 in many significant QB categories (I know, Jalen Hurd is top 3 in all the rb categories)
-he’s still here competing...

So let’s see how this plays out and trust what he’s displayed quantifiably as a catalyst for “what’s possible” with him.

This young man is a very solid VFL. I like him as part of the GBO family no matter what he chooses to do after this year. In my opinion, he is a perfect example of why we shouldn’t rush talent to the field. If he’d watched his freshman year and maybe half his sophomore year, he’d be everyone’s favorite right now. Facts are these:
-he can absolutely spin the damn ball
-he loves the game and running thru the T
-he’s tough as isht
-he’s got a desire to be good maybe great and a work ethic to match
-his teammates vouch, even his competitors at the position
-he has the most firm grasp on the offensive concepts he’s been given, from way too many OC’s
-he don’t chuck bottles
-he has displayed bad body language, but I’ve seen worse (I realize that’s more subjective than factual)
-he’ll finish his career in our top 10 in many significant QB categories (I know, Jalen Hurd is top 3 in all the rb categories)
-he’s still here competing...

So let’s see how this plays out and trust what he’s displayed quantifiably as a catalyst for “what’s possible” with him.
Great post I feel, spot on!

If JG does stay, and Harrison Bailey keeps his commitment, I'd wager Maurer and Shrout are both gone considering that Pruitt brought in Kasim Hill to compete for the position in 2020.
We don't agree on much but I agree, I think this is the most likely scenario, and maybe what's best for us down the road. It would set us up at QB for at least 3 maybe 4 years and would allow us time to recruit the next one.

Reactions: 2GeeZ4VolZ
Great post I feel, spot on!

Thanks for weighing in. I know I’m being rose colored, I just have a strong feeling JG is a pure representative of some of our favorite all-time Vols. We’ve had so many young people that have chosen to face down the immense pressure we place on them and stand in the hedge...this is why guys like EA support him. JG is a kid, working on being a man. But I’m a bit romantic I suppose. I could offer up a number of recent Hoop Vols as similar examples, but they got more runway because expectations are a bit lower on the hardwood and simultaneously we’ve had more success recently so it hasn’t been as urgent. And I get it, QB at Tennessee is as high profile as it gets. But dang if he don’t fit the mold of who we end up loving long after he’s gone. Let’s all just get behind a kid that hasn’t run away when it got hard and see what happens. It’s win win honestly. If he ends up achieving greatness, he’ll have earned it, if he can’t put it all together and still loves it here, we win in the long run. No downside. We aren’t supposed to win much til year 3 anyway right? Flame away if you must, but that negative stuff is lazy and lacks the fullness of the true spirit of this sport in general. Just my 2 (thousand) cents.

He should 100% NOT be our QB next year. I don't care where or what he does so long as it isn't QB for the Vols.
In all games he has played in his is under water, with 17 losses and only 13 wins.

He has no pocket presence, and in 3 years has shown little improvement IMO. No, actually that is not just my opinion.....that is fact!!! He has shown little to no overall improvement.

You have to go with your eyes cause stats often don't tell the story. This is because some things (tangible and intangible) don't alwas show up on the official stat sheet.
If this last year was his freshman year, that would be one thing, but it wasn't.
I for one sure as heck done want to watch another year of his scrawny indecisive butt throwing one or two passes that any SEC starting QB should make, and then missing a pass by 10 yards when it really matters that most any decently SEC backup QB makes 8 out of 10 times.

Last edited:
I said they need to bench him after the GA State loss. Wasn't benched and we lost again to BYU with another very bad game. He has turned it around, but that seems to be due to him being benched. It took the pressure off of him. It was a good move to bench him, cause it seemed to work.
It is all mental with JG, not physical.
Like other teams (even Bama), they will bench a starting qb if they need to for a W.
He is part of a team and everyone sits out sometimes.
We should now have 7 wins on our way to 9 wins, cause we should have started 2-0. Jg has alot to do with those loses. Alot of you are all apologetic now, but he needed to be benched to wake him up.
I'm glad he woke up and is now playing to his potential. I have nothing against him, I just want the Vols to win.
If you are pointing a finger saying "see!!!, you overreacted" actually, we didn't. Jg stunk bad early in the season.
On that note, he should transfer if he wants to. He is not guaranteed a starter position from now on.

Play the hot hand, period.

It really will be an interesting decision for him. If he plays well, he could lead the Vols to a very good season in the SEC. What other team could give him that opportunity? Certainly not Rutgers. Who wants to go there and chewed up by Big Ten teams by 50? On the other hand, if he turns back into a pumpkin, Pruitt won't play him 'cause he owes him or anything. He'll go with someone else.

I'd like to see JG come back and play a big role in Tenn competing for the SEC East title and Bailey preserves his redshirt by playing in less than 5 games. That'd be ideal. One thing I don't expect to happen: Maurer, Shrout, JG and Bailey here next yr. I'd say Shrout is probably the most likely to leave

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back