Poll: Should Guarantano transfer?

Should Guarantano transfer?

• No. He should not transfer. He has earned our respect

Votes: 699 69.1%
  • Yes. He should transfer.

Votes: 323 31.9%

• Total voters
I think he should do whatever he thinks is best for himself and his family.

At this point what does his family have to do with his life decisions. He is not going to make it as a pro (I don't think). If not, what does he owe his family anymore than any of the rest of us have been owed by our kids? His life, his career, his family, they are no different than mine or yours in that I don't think (hope) we depend on our kids for our future. I am just proud that my kids are way beyond what I have accomplished and feel satisfied that we, their families, have had a little to do with their successes and helped them to overcome their the hard times.

Sliding scale: JG was harshly treated early b/c 4th year players should be more effective. While BM has long-term upside & gave the offense juice early on, he makes freshman mistakes & limits what the coaching staff can do.

BM will not be a freshman next year....

At this point what does his family have to do with his life decisions. He is not going to make it as a pro (I don't think). If not, what does he owe his family anymore than any of the rest of us have been owed by our kids? His life, his career, his family, they are no different than mine or yours in that I don't think (hope) we depend on our kids for our future. I am just proud that my kids are way beyond what I have accomplished and feel satisfied that we, their families, have had a little to do with their successes and helped them to overcome their the hard times.
Is this seriously what you have to critique my post?

Reactions: Behr
I can't believe he has eligibility left. It seems like he's been here for 6 years. Time passes so slow when you've sucked it at football as much as the Vols have the past few years.

I hope he comes back and is All-SEC first team and wins the SECCG for us on a QB sneak that he audibles when its 4th and inches.

No, he should come back for another season, but I said that even before everyone started loving him again. Whether he's the starter or backup, he's a great young man, a VFL, and he adds a lot of value to this team.

Ideal situation is that 2nd year in Chaney's offense, he sees significant improvement and has a career year. But someone like Maurer or Bailey stepping up next season and having JG come in as a backup who could mentor the young QBs would also be beneficial.

Though, if he did transfer, he should go to Western Kentucky and play for Tyson Helton again. Helton also received a lot of hate here on VN, but he's done a great job as head coach at Western Kentucky, and I actually think he was good as OC here last season (and got unfair blame for the O-line mess he inherited).

Just my opinion, JG has done some good things for UT and frequently some bad things. I think that a transfer would be best in his interest for both parties because it would be a Fresh Start for the Kid plus we have talent coming in and we have to build for the future, it is a safe bet that some QB's will be hitting the portal next year or not even coming if JG stays around. Nothing against JG but looking toward the future of the program. College football is a business and everyone is replaceable. Some need to put emotion aside and be objective. Next year we won't have JJ or Callaway making grabs and winning 50/50 balls therefore we need a QB that can get it done in every facet of the game.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Just my opinion, JG has done some good things for UT and frequently some bad things. I think that a transfer would be best in his interest for both parties because it would be a Fresh Start for the Kid plus we have talent coming in and we have to build for the future, it is a safe bet that some QB's will be hitting the portal next year or not even coming if JG stays around. Nothing against JG but looking toward the future of the program. College football is a business and everyone is replaceable. Some need to put emotion aside and be objective. Next year we won't have JJ or Callaway making grabs and winning 50/50 balls therefore we need a QB that can get it done in every facet of the game.
So we need to have a qb that can do everything, so your solution is to get rid of the only qb we have who has shown he can do anything?

Reactions: irish1485
I think this poll was meant to shed light on those of us who thought Maurer was the better choice before JG became backup and improved significantly. Would we have had such a poll if JG was still performing at a low level? I admit to thinking Maurer was the better choice several weeks ago, but so did most. JG has proved me wrong, glad he did, so lets move on.

Reactions: FortSanders
He’s clearly redeemed himself when many would have shut down after that Bama fiasco. That doesn’t happen without a HC who backs you despite widespread outside sentiment. I voted yes because there’s no way but down imo. It’s heartening that it’s no longer the ONLY sensible decision for himself.

^^This^^ JG has earned the right to transfer if that makes sense. I would tell my own kid to do what's in his heart. JG doesn't owe VN anything, that's for sure. I'm sure his teammates and coaches would wish him well whatever he chooses.

I didn't vote.

So we need to have a qb that can do everything, so your solution is to get rid of the only qb we have who has shown he can do anything?
Obviously you failed to comprehend what I was saying. You are so fixated on JG it is nauseating. I am saying we need to prepare for the future. JG hasn't gone over well with a good portion of the fan base and we have seen his limitations, now take away JJ and Callaway and those limitations will probably be amplified. If he transfers it will give the kid a fresh start, as well as the fans, both deserve that much. Also, if he stays around we are gonna lose QB's. You are so fixated on the now and do not look long term, but I will overlook your love affair for a mediocre QB at best. If he makes it to the NFL and blows it up than I will give you your credit, however, the NFL outlook doesn't look promising.

Last edited:
Here is your chance, as a fan, to say whether Jarrett Guarantano should transfer.
In my opinion, this guy is a warrior. He has given his all for the team and for the school.
I am curious whether anyone would say he should transfer.

Hard to answer that question. The reality is those were 2 equally matched teams last Saturday neither team top 30 worthy. They would both need to win out just to make the top 30. How do you rate a QB for next season under these circumstances? Can JG lead the Vols to an SEC championship, I don't think so. Do we have a shot next season, I don't know? He has proven to be an excellent backup QB. Pruitt will know what to do.

Here is your chance, as a fan, to say whether Jarrett Guarantano should transfer.
In my opinion, this guy is a warrior. He has given his all for the team and for the school.
I am curious whether anyone would say he should transfer.
Hell to the No!

That's the real insanity here. Even if you don't think JG should be starting, who in their right mind would want a 5th year Senior QB with all that experience to walk away?

JG has always had my respect. I have always been a supporter of him and all our players. However, I voted yes because of the fact its the best move for him. This fan base has proven fickle and will just turn on him again as soon as we have a new toy in the wings to replace him. Recent history has shown that QB's transferring from UT tend to have good luck Peterman, Stevens etc..

Let us be real, he could pass for 400 yards and 4 tds every game for the next 3 games and the second a ball hits the ground in spring practice people will call for his blood and want the new kid to take his spot. Might as well start off with a fresh slate. Also if JG does not transfer Maurer and/or Shrout likely will and then we are on the hunt for more QB's next recruiting cycle. I did not and do not support Maurer or Shrout starting this year but going forward they will be good depth and one could actually end up being the guy.

That's the real insanity here. Even if you don't think JG should be starting, who in their right mind would want a 5th year Senior QB with all that experience to walk away?

Rhetorical question?

Hey guys, he has two more games to cement his future. He might earn enough respect in these remaining games (two plus bowl) to become a solid Heisman contender for next year! It's way too soon to write him off. Amazing what a little confidence can do and right now, he is showing that confidence! LETS GET BEHIND HIM!

Why would the starter, who is winning divisional battles on the road, transfer?!

Dumb question is dumb
To be fair he's the same guy that lost to Georgia State, byu,Fla, and the debacle at Alabama. I do see he's improving. What gets me is people that only see what they want to see though, the same people that told us when he was doing poorly that we cannot put that much stock in just a few games where he sucked are the same ones saying we have to put all the stock in these last two or three games where he has played better. You have to look at the entire picture. Personally I hope he doesn't transfer. I do not think he will be the starter next year however.

Honestly he is a decent QB coming off the bench, I don't know if its a mental thing or he feels that the pressure is off him when he comes in after the game has started, but he seems to do so much better coming off the bench it is weird.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back