'20 UY PG Santiago Vescovi (UT commit 11/22/19)

CAVol

9056848.png
⭐⭐⭐️ (per this article he will be a 4* once he commits on 247)
6'2 PG originally from Uruguay. Currently plays at the NBA Global Academy in Australia.
Offers from Tennessee, Temple, and Butler.

Official visits:
Temple on 10/9
Tennessee on 11/20

Rivals

From the article linked above:
The recruiting process is ramping up for Santiago Vescovi, one of top international prospects in the 2020 recruiting.
Vescovi, a native of Uruguay and now a standout at the NBA Global Academy, took his first official visit to Temple on Oct. 9, and he recently scheduled an official visit to Tennessee for Nov. 20.

“It’s been good,” Vescovi said about his recruiting process. “Right now I visited Temple in October. It was a really good visit and I really enjoyed spending time with the guys. I think it’s a really nice coaching staff. I really loved the place.”

On the court, Vescovi is known for his skill level, playmaking and shooting ability. He emerged as an intriguing college option when he landed at the NBA Academy Latin America last year and then excelled at Basketball Without Borders.

In June, Vescovi transferred to the NBA Global Academy, which is located in Canberra, Australia. Vescovi said the move has been beneficial to his development.

“I think here they have a really high level training,” Vescovi said. “They really focus on the players and developing them and getting better every day. I think also they push us every day and that helps us get better. Also Australian players are really high level and we train all the time together.”

So we'll have two guards with the name James next year. Josiah and Santiago "James" Vescovi.

I find it interesting that the last day of the fall signing period is November 20th, and that’s also the days he’s scheduled to begin his OV...and that’s a Wednesday, which isn’t a very common day for an OV, although we do have a game that night.
Quite intriguing. The process will work out perfectly, timing-wise.

Reactions: 1Volnation
Vescovi was one of the breakout performers of the camp. A 6-foot-2 guard with a lean build and long arms, Vescovi is quick, aggressive plays a smart brand of basketball. Vescovi, who plays at NBA Academy Latin America, impressed with his feel for the game, high basketball IQ and his vision and passing ability. Vescovi is crafty and was able to get by defenders at camp, get into the lane and make plays for himself and others. Athletically he’s sneaky, and arguably had the best dunk at camp when he drove left and threw down a one-handed dunk on a defender. Vescovi competes on both ends and plays with good energy. He’s on the college track and in a 2020 class that lacks depth at the point guard position, he’s likely to receive quite a bit of attention.
Basketball Without Borders: Which prospects stood out?

Vescovi recently played in the six-team G League International Challenge in Uruguay and was one of the youngest to participate. In four games, Vescovi averaged 12.5 points, 4.3 rebounds, three assists and 1.5 steals while shooting 53.8 percent (7-of-13) from three-point range. The event for Vescovi proved to be a great opportunity to play against some of the top players from around the world, like the G League Elite Team and Bayern Munchen of Germany, which features former NBA players like Greg Monroe, Paul Zipser and Josh Huestis. Vescovi recorded 15 points and three rebounds against Bayern Munchen.
Santiago Vescovi credits the NBA Academy for growing 'in every aspect'

Over four days in July at the NBA Academy Games, Vescovi played with grit — keeping defenders off him, hitting the floor for loose balls, playing aggressive man-to-man D — that could go a long way to putting his homeland of just 3.5 million people (that’s fewer folks than Oklahoma) on the basketball map. And, on offense, he showed he was more than grit, making 16 of 33 three-pointers with 19 rebounds, 19 assists and 19 steals over five games. “I don’t let people get into my game,” says Vescovi, who averaged 17.4 points per game in Atlanta. “If they want to speed me up, I just do what I do normally.”

College basketball coaches were sufficiently impressed. Vescovi, mostly unknown a year ago within the U.S. college basketball recruiting merry-go-round, came away with scholarship offers from Temple, the University of Miami, Washington State and Rutgers, according to an NBA source.
A Gritty Guard Aims to Put Uruguay on the Basketball Map | OZY

I've noticed in the few videos I've seen that his release is relatively slow.
First thing I noticed, too, but then it tends to vary a bit depending on situation throughout his highlights. I don’t think he will ever have a quick release, but it seems to change from really slow developing to a quicker release depending on situation.

Obligatory
source.gif

Seems like one of his strengths is ball-handling which is something this team sorely needs. Prediction, Cardwell and Santiago sign here. Pons grad transfers. James to the NBA.

Reactions: Stoked
Seems like one of his strengths is ball-handling which is something this team sorely needs. Prediction, Cardwell and Santiago sign here. Pons grad transfers. James to the NBA.
I know it's early, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Kent and JJ that transfer out. They both would be better served going down a level.

I think you're way off target there. IMO one of this team's biggest strengths is ball handling. Even Fulkerson is catching passes consistently. James looks like he will be elite. Other than 3 being freshmen, I can't see how it will noticeably deteriorate when Bailey, Springer, Johnson, and Walker replace Bowden and Turner.

I know it's early, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Kent and JJ that transfer out. They both would be better served going down a level.
Johnson is plenty talented to contribute for us and could thrive at the power 5 level on a different team.

Kent I agree. He’s never going to help us imo

Johnson is plenty talented to contribute for us and could thrive at the power 5 level on a different team.
Are you implying he’s being underdeveloped here?
Not trying to be argumentative, just confused by the wording.

Last edited:
I like this guy, would be a nice pick up. Good ball control, crafty assisting, nice shooting form.

VN Store

Back