Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
False. The difference is that every single NFL player is an elite level athlete at their position. In college even the best teams don't have elite level talent at every position for the entire roster.

What happens when you have the absolute best talent at every position is you end up with a lot of stalemates, that's why so much of the NFL does the same thing. And ultimately most games are decided by who messes up less, there's not a lot of variation in philosophies and that isn't a ton of risk taking.

In college, an undersized and less talented team has to find something to give them an edge. Or something that allows them to offset the talent gap. It's why teams run no huddle, why teams are willing to be an option only team, why coaches take chances and blitz early and often, and why the college game is a different on the field product. Because there's so much more variation in everything.
Number one, were talking about opinion. Although my opinion differs from yours that doesn't make it wrong. We're talking about motivation and there is no way to qualify it. Therefore my opinion is a valid as yours and it isn't wrong.

Second, if your premise is correct, that would make for more competition and and make the games more enjoyable because anyone can beat anyone. That's simply not the case. I do believe that there is a lot of parody in pro football but that isn't why many to lose interest. The NFL and nba are made up of hired hit men. They have very little if any loyalty other than their paycheck. They want to be great not because of much other than how it affects their bottom line. They want to perform to grab those incentive bonuses and they really get after it in a contract year.

College has historically been different. Sure the potential to eventually get paid for their talents is part of it for some but for many, the ones who are in all likelihood never going to sign an NFL contract are playing for entirely different motives.

College is a different animal because it isn't a job. I have no doubt that this will change college football negatively. It's not as good as it was 10 years ago, it won't be as good as it is today 10 years from now. JMO

There are fifty billion variables in what makes college and pro different. Why do you think that 1 is the 1 that makes you enjoy college more than pro?
Because I watch them both. Well I used to watch the pro game and it sucks. College is different because imo the players, for the most part are not playing for money. You ever had a hobby and it turned into a job and then it wasn't as much fun anymore?

Guess I don't get what changes from a pragmatic stance that changes it fundamentally. Kids still choose where to go and are not drafted, and typically stay through their career. This is what separates college and pro, outside of the obvious traditions, pageantry, etc which obviously won't be affected.
You'll see.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
when we start kicking the cupcakes, Vandy, KY, Mizzo, and SC around again, then we will only have 3 big games. Add a tough OOC or line up with one of the tougher West squads and that bumps it to 4.
I'm not convinced the SEC will return to the pre 2010 era anytime soon.

Remember UF lost to UK last year and should have again this year. They got dismantled by Mizzou as well last year. UGA lost to USC.

The days of absolute "floormats" are gone, at least for the time. I remember the 90s where we'd walk into UK and VU expecting utter blowouts. One year we actually outscored those 2 teams 117-0.

Not saying we shouldn't be able to return to beating these teams a majority of the time, but I also don't think it's unreasonable to expect 1 loss to the other 4 East teams each year. The gap just isn't what it used to because all the money and SEC success has lifted all boats. We were one of the teams that never needed any of that, so the success and money have only diminished our natural advantage somewhat.

I didn't take this particular point from their guidelines. This is the most comprehensive release on the guidelines I have seen:
Board of Governors starts process to enhance name, image and likeness opportunities

But I agree overall this looks much different than what I originally read from the media. There can be no connection to athletic performance or participation, no inducement to play or transfer somewhere, etc. I think this will be much more limited than some, including myself, originally thought.

But ultimately it boils down to 1 question:
Do we still get NCAA '21?? 😁
I don't believe anyone thought a business was going to advertise a job for a player to choose or transfer.
I think what most are saying is once that kid does choose/transfer, there's no way to prove he got his new gig, with said business, because of that choice.

All the NCAA can do is ask and accept the answer they are given. Can't catch them for receiving the funds with it now legal.
Not that they were checking before, anyway. So whatever.

I don't believe anyone thought a business was going to advertise a job for a player to choose or transfer.
I think what most are saying is once that kid does choose/transfer, there's no way to prove he got his new gig, with said business, because of that choice.

All the NCAA can do is ask and accept the answer they are given. Can't catch them for receiving the funds with it now legal.
Not that they were checking before, anyway. So whatever.

Precisely. Happening anyway most likely. But the part about no connection to athletic performance or participation is interesting. How would an athlete expect to profit from his or her likeness without it relating to the fact that they play ball? Or maybe I'm reading this too strictly.

Well that answered the question.

I get you have a vague sense of things will change, but if you can't move from that to formulating meaningful statements on what pragmatic change will occur, then maybe it is unfounded.
I've already stated them. Playing for money is different than playing for the potential of money and school pride, state pride etc, and an education. You just refuse to accept those as valid.

Your office analogy is flawed because both in scenarios the actors are professional in each circumstance. They just got raises.

Professionalizing college sports will ruin it.

The kids already make money by playing via a stipend. So, yes, this is the same. They (probably just a handful) will make materially more.

As for "professionalizing" - I think central tenets of professionalism is 1) teams paying players based on good they are. Not only is this certainly not happening, but it still completely not allowed. 2) in prodessional sports, the team has control over the player as a commodity and can trade them at will, along with drafting them to begin with. Again, none of this is happening.

I am just curious as to what tenet of professionalism you, or anyone else, believes will be injected that isn't already present. Kids are already getting paid in various forms.

Reactions: gainesvol82
Precisely. Happening anyway most likely. But the part about no connection to athletic performance or participation is interesting. How would an athlete expect to profit from his or her likeness without it relating to the fact that they play ball? Or maybe I'm reading this too strictly.
My gut says that's a cover all term to fall back on, if they don't like how it's being worked. It honestly doesn't make sense otherwise with image/likeness.

Yea that kid is awesome. With The amount of production we are losing on offense i don’t see anyway we could win a shoot out with them (not that many teams should/could anyway)

Jennings, Calloway, DWA, Trey, Kennedy
Maybe chandler? That’s tough especially that early on.
Our defense could be really good though. QB is going to be a huge wild card

I've already stated them. Playing for money is different than playing for the potential of money and school pride, state pride etc, and an education. You just refuse to accept those as valid.
I am talking pragmatic, tangible changes. You are talking the emotional chemistry of players, which you assume will change, in the worst way. All over a few signed autographs and maybe a few hundo for their likeness to be used in EA.

Good lawdie. Are they all going to become soulless mercernaries that rep green dollar bill signs on their gloves rather than Power Ts? Do they lose loyalty, given they CHOSE to come here? They weren't drafted, not forced, and can't be traded, but their entire mindset will change over a little more money? They already get paid, how is this any different?

The kids already make money by playing via a stipend. So, yes, this is the same. They (probably just a handful) will make materially more.

As for "professionalizing" - I think central tenets of professionalism is 1) teams paying players based on good they are. Not only is this certainly not happening, but it still completely not allowed. 2) in prodessional sports, the team has control over the player as a commodity and can trade them at will, along with drafting them to begin with. Again, none of this is happening.

I am just curious as to what tenet of professionalism you, or anyone else, believes will be injected that isn't already present. Kids are already getting paid in various forms.
Lol. You are actually comparing $5K stipend to what they will make of this Pandora's box is opened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back