Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scholarship isn't paying for any of the other things 18-22 year olds want. Not your cell phone bill, not for electronic purchases, not for your car insurance, car notes (if you have 'em), not for the cost to travel anywhere the team isn't going, not for taking out your girl for a date, not for any cost associated with kids if you have them...

I don't think the schools should foot any ADDITIONAL cost to athletes, but I also don't know how an 18 year old person can't go out and work a job to make extra cash just because they signed a scholarship. With the new age of social media it'll be real easy for most the athletes to make a bit of pocket change too, just from leveraging their follower count for advertising
Wasn't COA stipend for this? Kids are getting something, I've heard anywhere from 3k to 10k.

Chesney is from Luttrell/Maynardville. I know he wears hats wherever he goes but he's all Vol.

Agreed, and I think he did the Spurrier ESPN special not because he's a Gator fan, but because Steve Spurrier grew up in Johnson City. (Chesney graduated from ETSU)

Chesney is from Luttrell/Maynardville. I know he wears hats wherever he goes but he's all Vol (and no I'm not a fan of that or his music but good entertainers play to their audience).
Meh. Mr. “Will Gatur Chomp 4 $$” can play to Florida Man all he wants, he doesn’t get to be all Vol if he does though.

3 years from now.......

"blue chip 5 star prospect Jon Smith picks Ohio State over Alabama and LSU. when asked about his decision he said he really likes the high level of jersey sales as well as the amount of commercials that players get to do to for local car dealerships! When asked about the school's winning tradition he raved and raved about their ability to win advertisements for Nike over his other top schools!"
It’s already happening now but it’s in the dark.

I can promise you Ohio State gets a linebacker over Alabama because they offered more money. And the same can be said for Tennessee getting a running back over South Carolina, etc.

Also, I’m not sure what’s so offensive about adults saying they want to do something for money’s sake. That’s why Jeremy Pruitt is at Tennessee, Nick Saban is at Alabama, and you’re at your job.

With rain soaking Knoxville all day Wednesday, Jeremy Pruitt had his team working inside as Tennessee continues its prep for UAB on Saturday (7 p.m., SEC Network).

During the two open periods, the Vols did lots of scheme work that was off limits to report, so here’s some quick notes from practice…

The quarterback derby remained the same as Tuesday, with Brian Maurer getting the first reps during indy work and then JT Shrout and Jarrett Guarantano going 1-2 during routes on air. Guarantano is still sporting a glove and cast on his left hand, and handoffs to tailbacks look like a real chore right now. I’d guess he’s an emergency guy, at best, Saturday. The unit did throw the ball well overall, with Maurer having the most misfires of the unit. Shrout was particularly accurate on some go-routes. Jauan Jennings gave Guarantano a shoutout on a great throw on a deep out, yelling, “Good ball 2!”

Elsewhere, I’d say Darnell Wright is doubtful to play Saturday as the freshman continues to battle an ankle injury. Outside linebacker Darrell Taylor (left knee) was sporting a different brace today and was going through drills, albeit with a slight limp. Chris Rumph was challenging his group on their 3rd-down get-off. He liked when he saw in reps from Kivon Bennett and Deandre Johnson, but made Roman Harrison go again, telling the freshman, “Get that hitch out your get-off!”

At inside linebacker, Kevin Sherrer’s unit mostly worked on run-fit scheme stuff, but during indy work, Henry To’oto’o and Daniel Bituli worked with the first-team, Solon Page and Aaron Beasley were with the 2s and JJ Peterson was the lone scholarship linebacker with the 3s.

Brian Niedermeyer had his tight ends working on routes today, including the same post-wiggle that Dominick Wood-Anderson hit for a big play on Mississippi State.

Finally, David Johnson’s running back room had just three scholarship guys today (Ty Chandler, Tim Jordan, Eric Gray) as Carlin Fils-Aime was working with the scout team vs. the inside linebackers. Meanwhile, Tennessee wideout Deangelo Gibbs was in a scout-team No. 6 jersey, acting as UAB wideout AustinWatkins, who is averaging 21.13 yards per catch this season.
- Simonton

NCAA made a few points...maintain differentiations between amateur SA and Pro athletes, fair for all SA’s and the same opportunities as non-SA currently receive.

To me this means no Nike deals, no paid endorsements, no perks currently available to the Pro athletes.

Your rowing teams, golf teams and swim teams must have the same opportunities to earn money as the football and basketball folks.

What does a non-SA currently make money doing and which of those opportunities are a SA prohibited from doing right now. I also see this being only allowed where it doesn’t interfere with scheduled sports and classes.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
If I was to put any money on the table though...the only 2 teams I'd bet on being in the final 4 right now? Clemson & Ohio State
Sweet, new blood o_O :rolleyes: :oops:

At this point I'll live with LSU winning. Still hope OU or someone else can make a run. Please god just not Clemson bama osu

Reactions: SmokinBob
fair for all SA’s

Your rowing teams, golf teams and swim teams must have the same opportunities to earn money as the football and basketball folks.

I didn't take this particular point from their guidelines. This is the most comprehensive release on the guidelines I have seen:
Board of Governors starts process to enhance name, image and likeness opportunities

But I agree overall this looks much different than what I originally read from the media. There can be no connection to athletic performance or participation, no inducement to play or transfer somewhere, etc. I think this will be much more limited than some, including myself, originally thought.

But ultimately it boils down to 1 question:
Do we still get NCAA '21?? 😁

LMAO. I love how he starts with "Tennessee is a terrilble team!" pauses and then thinks for a second and says: "Well, not terrible...they're actually decent now..." and then goes back to his rant.
“Tennessee is terrible” “Tennessee is decent” “ Tennessee is God awful” “Tennessee deserved that win” “No way in hell we should lose to Tennessee” “Credit to Tennessee” “We gave them that win”

That guy has a problem with taking a stance

“Tennessee is terrible” “Tennessee is decent” “ Tennessee is God awful” “Tennessee deserved that win” “No way in hell we should lose to Tennessee” “Credit to Tennessee” “We gave them that win”

That guy has a problem with taking a stance
As long as he stokes fahhrrr Muschump, i ok with his waffling and emoting.

Reactions: Rishvol and volatil
I didn't take this particular point from their guidelines. This is the most comprehensive release on the guidelines I have seen:
Board of Governors starts process to enhance name, image and likeness opportunities

But I agree overall this looks much different than what I originally read from the media. There can be no connection to athletic performance or participation, no inducement to play or transfer somewhere, etc. I think this will be much more limited than some, including myself, originally thought.

But ultimately it boils down to 1 question:
Do we still get NCAA '21?? 😁

Fair for all student athletes is pretty well covered in this part:
  • Enhance principles of diversity, inclusion and gender equity.
Not keeping opportunities fair across all sports is a big ole can of lawsuits the NCAA probably wants to avoid at all costs.

That's a great play set up. That LG did a really good job of staying balanced with the fake pull and then exploding back to hit the DE.
Love the innovations that come from below. Leave it up to an FCS guy to use his imagination. Wish more would.

Btw something weird during the USC game, they tried to line up real funky with an OL out wide. Ultimately got a penalty for something, but it was an interesting look. Always wondered why teams don't try weird stuff like that - maybe mix in multiple TEs and some stay in as linemen, others go out as receivers. Some near the sidelines, some on the LOS interior. Just a thought.

eh they got extremely lucky. Lincoln is a Mike leach disciple and a brilliant mind but he had only been an OC for a couple years at ECU. That could just as easily been a Mark Helfrich post chip kelly situation. It was an extremely ballsy move just for stoops to make him OC let alone them name him head coach of a top 5 blue blood program.
I'm sure OU regrets their decision every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back