2020 6-1 W Tess Darby commits

I am all about Tess doing well and hope she does the Lady Vols well. I just want to mention Kendall Spray who was a TN girl born and raised and wanted to go to UT so bad. Reeves was contacted numerous times and they recruited over her. She sat out last year as a transfer for Clemson as Amanda Butler also a Mt Juliet girl scooped her up after seeing her skills. She made close to 200 3's her first 2 years at UT Martin and only finished 2nd to Dangerfield for player of the year in Tennessee while in high school. Spray can bomb it from 3, she will be a starter for Clemson this upcoming season as a first year player for them. Holly and Co. missed out. If Spray breaks out like I think she will, UT could have had her this year bombing 3's something UT sorely lacks. As many on here are happy about this commitment and should be, just wish Holly and Reeves would have given Spray a look. Spray has the chance to break 400 3's as a collegiate athlete. Only time will tell.

well, the 3 was a major weapon at MoSt --- love it!

Coach Kellie plays her team to it's strengths.
If the girls hit them in practice, they can hit them in games
They just have to have "a measure of freedom"
Once their mind makes the calculations ,,, they can't be thinking about anything but the shot

Last edited:
I am all about Tess doing well and hope she does the Lady Vols well. I just want to mention Kendall Spray who was a TN girl born and raised and wanted to go to UT so bad. Reeves was contacted numerous times and they recruited over her. She sat out last year as a transfer for Clemson as Amanda Butler also a Mt Juliet girl scooped her up after seeing her skills. She made close to 200 3's her first 2 years at UT Martin and only finished 2nd to Dangerfield for player of the year in Tennessee while in high school. Spray can bomb it from 3, she will be a starter for Clemson this upcoming season as a first year player for them. Holly and Co. missed out. If Spray breaks out like I think she will, UT could have had her this year bombing 3's something UT sorely lacks. As many on here are happy about this commitment and should be, just wish Holly and Reeves would have given Spray a look. Spray has the chance to break 400 3's as a collegiate athlete. Only time will tell.

Spray sure sounds like a heckuva player, and one who would likely have fared well in Kellie’s system. I always hate to hear that a super player who “wanted to go to UT so bad” didn’t get an offer. :( But then I know there are always going to be dashed dreams with so many more kids than we’ll ever even know wanting what so very few ever get an opportunity to do because there is simply not enough spots on rosters for everyone. And it’s particularly heartbreaking when one of those kids ends up being a terrific player for some OTHER program.

But hey, I hope Tennessee-born Kendall Spray has a terrific career at Clemson, and that if the Lady Vols ever play against her that she has an extra-good game. (In defeat, of course. I’m compassionate, not crazy! ;))

How many Missouri State games did you actually watch? They attempted and made fewer 3's per game than Tennessee last season and shot at an almost identical percentage -- 33% (not good)...

I watched the coach more than the game.
Always have, always will.
I'm not nervous.

Nor am I a negavol ,, like you seem to take pride in being

I watched the coach more than the game.
Always have, always will.
I'm not nervous.

Nor am I a negavol ,, like you seem to take pride in being

Facts don't care what you watch. And if you read what I wrote it wasn't positive or negative. I just don't see a lot of evidence that the 3 is a huge part of Harper's offense...

Reactions: olddog and mcannon1
Coach Jumper, are you still responding to Dirge_Vol? I can’t tell because I have that bloody pus-oozing infection of a human on ignore, so I don’t see any of its comments anymore — thank god. You really should consider doing the same. It cleans up the board nicely to not have to read any of the written equivalent of a putrid rotting corpse.

Consider putting it on ignore and not even giving it another second of your valuable time. :)

Reactions: FrozenLVFan
How many Missouri State games did you actually watch? They attempted and made fewer 3's per game than Tennessee last season and shot at an almost identical percentage -- 33% (not good)...

33% from 3 is better than 50% from 2.

33 percent is 99 points per one hundred shots. 50 percent of twos is 100 points per one hundred shots. So 33 percent from the three is 49.5 percent compared to two point shots. You would need 33.34 percent to match 50 percent two point shooting. Having said all that very few teams shoot fifty percent from the two so I'll take 49.5 percent as a team from the three anyday. As far as Tennessee goes three point shooting was a strong point compared to our 2 point shooting last season. Missouri State shot .3326 from the three which is 99.78 points per 100 attempts which is about as close to 50 percent as you can get. A better way to measure efficiency is points scored per shot attempt and if you scoring around 1.3 per attempt you are a really good team unless your defense is giving up more than that.

33 percent is 99 points per one hundred shots. 50 percent of twos is 100 points per one hundred shots. So 33 percent from the three is 49.5 percent compared to two point shots. You would need 33.34 percent to match 50 percent two point shooting. Having said all that very few teams shoot fifty percent from the two so I'll take 49.5 percent as a team from the three anyday. As far as Tennessee goes three point shooting was a strong point compared to our 2 point shooting last season. Missouri State shot .3326 from the three which is 99.78 points per 100 attempts which is about as close to 50 percent as you can get. A better way to measure efficiency is points scored per shot attempt and if you scoring around 1.3 per attempt you are a really good team unless your defense is giving up more than that.

You also forgot to factor in offensive rebounding. Per 100 shots you would have 17 more attempts at an offensive rebound. Do the math with offensive rebounds factored in and 33% from 3 actually produces more offensive output than 50% from 2.

Are you sure about that? Just giving you a hard time but that’s not accurate.

It is inaccurate, and I’m not sure what relevance it has to the original post or what point he’s trying to make. So was Holly a better three point/offensive coach than Kellie since her team utilized it more?

It is inaccurate, and I’m not sure what relevance it has to the original post or what point he’s trying to make. So was Holly a better three point/offensive coach than Kellie since her team utilized it more?

It's not wrong as I've clearly explained.

The point is... You said "33% (not good)". I disagree 33% is acceptable.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
See explanation above, you must factor in offensive rebound opportunities.

My reply was to the conclusion arrived by the other member and his assertion based on same amount of opportunities would be still incorrect. (As you guys outlined) Of course that could vary with other data, i.e. rebound opportunities as you pointed out but that other data was not factored in due to not be presented at the time.

It's not wrong as I've clearly explained.

The point is... You said "33% (not good)". I disagree 33% is acceptable.

It isn’t “good.” Granted it isn’t horrible either. I have no idea what the national average is, but I would guess 33% is close.

Your “clear explanation” is greatly flawed and ignores numerous critical variables, but I really don’t care enough to debate it. It still has nothing to do with the original point, the 3 hasn’t been a huge part of Kellie’s offense...

It isn’t “good.” Granted it isn’t horrible either. I have no idea what the national average is, but I would guess 33% is close.

Your “clear explanation” is greatly flawed and ignores numerous critical variables, but I really don’t care enough to debate it. It still has nothing to do with the original point, the 3 hasn’t been a huge part of Kellie’s offense...

Fair enough. Maybe there is a bit of transference going on. None of us have watched much Miz St so maybe they are remembering Mizzu torching us and shooting 800 threes per season.

Looking at our returning roster, it's even more obvious why we need Darby. Only Davis shoots 3s and greater than 25%. I hope Horston can shoot.

Last edited:
Looking at our returning roster, it's even more obvious why we need Darby. Only Davis shoots 3s and greater than 25%. I hope Horston can shoot.
I may be wrong but I think Horston is more of a create your own shot player and not so much a 3 point threat.

Reactions: 37620VOL
Coach Jumper, are you still responding to Dirge_Vol? I can’t tell because I have that bloody pus-oozing infection of a human on ignore, so I don’t see any of its comments anymore — thank god. You really should consider doing the same. It cleans up the board nicely to not have to read any of the written equivalent of a putrid rotting corpse.

Consider putting it on ignore and not even giving it another second of your valuable time. :)

I have tried ignore, but you still see the person's name as a poster and what I see I can't truly ignore. Especially if I know that that person is spewing negativity at every post....No, someone like that I see as a foe, not a friend and when someone is a butthole just to be a butthole, they need to be wiped

I may be wrong but I think Horston is more of a create your own shot player and not so much a 3 point threat.

Horston gets to the hoop...this gets to be contagious on a team, When one does it, the rest try to do it.
We have several who can take someone off the dribble or step back and create an open shot.

These kids will start hitting their shots when they get under a coach who understands that the only bad shot is a "BAD SHOT!...otherwise it is just a miss or hit.
I hope Kellie brings this to the court as their coach.

They have to have permission to fail,
to succeed

VN Store

Back