Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1996 (part of the "glory days"), we entered the season ranked #2 in the country, behind Nebraska; with the greatest QB to ever strap on a helmet. We averaged almost 40 pts a game that year, and had future NFL players all over the field.

We entered the Memphis game ranked #6 in the country, losing to Florida earlier in the year, by a touchdown. Memphis won 4 games that season...let me repeat that again, Memphis won 4 games in 1996: Missouri (not the Missouri of today), Tulane, Cincinnati, and us...the #6 ranked team in the country...a team that was 7 and 1 coming in, and still in the thick of the National Championship picture...and, they held us to only 17 points.

That loss kept us from finishing in the Top 5. Again, I reiterate, Memphis won 4 games that year...they were Georgia State in those days; and beat a UT team that was far away from coming off a 4 and 8, 5 and 7 back to back seasons. When we lost to Memphis in '96, we were one of the top 5 programs in the country, with the best player in school history...Memphis won 4 games...Missouri, Tulane, Cincinnati, and us. Georgia St. is not even in the same zip code as that loss.

Btw, the LSU loss in the '01 SEC Championship, is the only other loss that I will even consider may be worse than the Memphis game. In fact, it's probably worse, considering we still haven't truly recovered from it.
It's been mentioned, but the 1990 Bama game is the most painful to me

Reactions: SugarCC
Good thread on VQ about the 89 team. Got me thinking back to the old goal line plays we would run with Webb, Garner, and others from under center and all the RB had to do was dive over and break the plane.

Why is that not a thing like it used to be? Was the blocking required too dangerous (I imagine some type of cut blocking would be best here)? Or was it just not as effective as I remember it being as a child?
I began missing it long ago. Always scored

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back