Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be arrogant, but I feel I have what is equivalent to a PhD in Tennessee football history. Only other loss that would compare to GSU would be North Texas in 75. I personally feel the GSU loss was worse.
In 1996 (part of the "glory days"), we entered the season ranked #2 in the country, behind Nebraska; with the greatest QB to ever strap on a helmet. We averaged almost 40 pts a game that year, and had future NFL players all over the field.

We entered the Memphis game ranked #6 in the country, losing to Florida earlier in the year, by a touchdown. Memphis won 4 games that season...let me repeat that again, Memphis won 4 games in 1996: Missouri (not the Missouri of today), Tulane, Cincinnati, and us...the #6 ranked team in the country...a team that was 7 and 1 coming in, and still in the thick of the National Championship picture...and, they held us to only 17 points.

That loss kept us from finishing in the Top 5. Again, I reiterate, Memphis won 4 games that year...they were Georgia State in those days; and beat a UT team that was far away from coming off a 4 and 8, 5 and 7 back to back seasons. When we lost to Memphis in '96, we were one of the top 5 programs in the country, with the best player in school history...Memphis won 4 games...Missouri, Tulane, Cincinnati, and us. Georgia St. is not even in the same zip code as that loss.

Btw, the LSU loss in the '01 SEC Championship, is the only other loss that I will even consider may be worse than the Memphis game. In fact, it's probably worse, considering we still haven't truly recovered from it.

In 1996 (part of the "glory days"), we entered the season ranked #2 in the country, behind Nebraska; with the greatest QB to ever strap on a helmet. We averaged almost 40 pts a game that year, and had future NFL players all over the field.

We entered the Memphis game ranked #6 in the country, losing to Florida earlier in the year, by a touchdown. Memphis won 4 games that season...let me repeat that again, Memphis won 4 games in 1996: Missouri (not the Missouri of today), Tulane, Cincinnati, and us...the #6 ranked team in the country...a team that was 7 and 1 coming in, and still in the thick of the National Championship picture...and, they held us to only 17 points.

That loss kept us from finishing in the Top 5. Again, I reiterate, Memphis won 4 games that year...they were Georgia State in those days; and beat a UT team that was far away from coming off a 4 and 8, 5 and 7 back to back seasons. When we lost to Memphis in '96, we were one of the top 5 programs in the country, with the best player in school history...Memphis won 4 games...Missouri, Tulane, Cincinnati, and us. Georgia St. is not even in the same zip code as that loss.

Btw, the LSU loss in the '01 SEC Championship, is the only other loss that I will even consider may be worse than the Memphis game. In fact, it's probably worse, considering we still haven't truly recovered from it.

This is spot on.

92 Arky loss, a team that lost to Citadel, at home was also a very bad one, as was the Taneyhill game in Columbia that year. Granted 92 was a year of transition, it started so promisingly with early wins against UGA and UF. But that 96 Memphis State loss is the biggie for sure.

I just want 8-9 wins a year to start

Let a guy have a baby and now wants the world.

giphy.gif

The Memphis St, GSU, etc. losses were the most "embarrassing" losses. Loss to GSU much less because this year's team is not very good anyway.

The 2001 SECCG loss to LSU is by far the "worse" UT loss for me. We have never recovered from that loss. Been a downhill spiral ever since. We would have played Miami in the National Championship game if we just manage to stop a QB draw in that game.

Next most painful loss to me was the 9-6 loss to Bama under Majors in the early 90's. We were a top 10 team playing an unranked Bama team and at least 2 touchdowns better than Bama that year. But Majors teams always puckered up big time against Bama. Took me a while to recover from that game.

The Memphis St, GSU, etc. losses were the most "embarrassing" losses. Loss to GSU much less because this year's team is not very good anyway.

The 2001 SECCG loss to LSU is by far the "worse" UT loss for me. We have never recovered from that loss. Been a downhill spiral ever since. We would have played Miami in the National Championship game if we just manage to stop a QB draw in that game.

Next most painful loss to me was the 9-6 loss to Bama under Majors in the early 90's. We were a top 10 team playing an unranked Bama team and at least 2 touchdowns better than Bama that year. But Majors teams always puckered up big time against Bama. Took me a while to recover from that game.
Would like again, if I could.

Reactions: SpringBokVol

Well this was a whole lot of sads.

Devonta Smith WR for Bama suspended for first half of the game this wknd by Saban for throwing a punch in the AM game.

Should help us w/ covering Jeudy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back