Uniform/Helmet/Shoe design thread (merged)

Young men get excited about all kinds of crazy stuff. My kids were excited about the orange pants for some reason. Who knows. We won, so it's all good.
Young men... Mainly girls... But some, like you say "crazy stuff". Wjat ever it takes color color pants, good looking girls dancing in the end zone,what ever, use it. However I think the idea that "we are better than this team" had something to do with Saturday. Ga. St. they had no clue, BYU, were waking up and got side tract. Fla., Ga. just not in their league, yet. Hard to get to excited when you have an idea that the fight will be really tough when you know so much is weak.

Exactly. That's why I never care about alternate uniforms or shoe color. Let em wear what they want.

Nope,,, they are suppose to be a team. Not a pack of individuals trying to say "look at me". Do what ever the team does or find another "group" to play with. This "do as I please" crap will come soon enough with the "pay me" program coming. Don't think I will like it very much....

Reactions: feathersax
I’m listening to Basilio (who I know many here really dislike) and he’s saying we now have “mojo” with them.
Said we should wear them for rest of season both home and away games.
I kind of like them but I really don’t care all that much.
My favorite game we wore them was the come from behind win at Notre Dame.

Tennessee-Notre Dame Series - University of Tennessee Athletics

Alternate uniforms definitely equal wins. 100% of the time. This is why Ala**** sucks so bad. They don’t wear any alts. Black, gray, or secondary colored jerseys = NATTYS!!!!!!
I agree with you. But being a fan back in the 80’s and 90’s I do not consider orange pants an alternate uniform. They are just as much tradition as the orange jerseys, especially on the road. The only reason we went back to white pants is because Fulmer did not like the orange pants which were introduced by Majors in 1977. And I suppose that is probably for his disgust of Majors. Go back and look at the road games when Cobb and Webb were running over everyone. Or when the Minister of Defense was destroying offensive linemen. Or Dale Jones intercepting Shula in Legion Field, or Johathan Jones streaking through the Alabama defense in 1983. Orange pants are more of a Tennessee tradition than black or gray uniforms will ever be in my opinion.

Ok, so this may sound a bit ridiculous, but do you think a change in uni's makes a difference - in mindset of players, excitement level, etc? I remember the black uni's Kiffin pulled out for the USCjr game on Halloween 2009 and that team was totally juiced! Also remember the smokey greys being used against FL in our last win against the gators. Saturday's all orange look was different and our guys seemed to come out with a completely different mindset and energy level.

So, do you think a change in uni's has a psychological impact on the players and how they play? If it does, I say change them out every weekend for the rest of the season a la Oregon and let's get this team to a damn bowl game!!!
I think it's more on the folks saying it looked like we played harder. I think the boys play hard 95% of the time EVERY game regardless of who is playing QB or whatever color pants they are wearing. It's mental for sure, it's just that it's mental to our overzealous fans thoughts and not the players.

I think for the most part inspirational speeches, uniform colors, etc doesn’t matter in game. That said motivating focus in practice from excitement is important for coaches. It’s why they have dumb cliche stuff. Football is an incredibly demanding physical sport if a uniform helps motivate even a small amount, it’s worth it.

I absolutely believe the uniforms had some effect on the players and the crowd in that Halloween game versus Carolina years ago.

I agree with you. But being a fan back in the 80’s and 90’s I do not consider orange pants an alternate uniform. They are just as much tradition as the orange jerseys, especially on the road. The only reason we went back to white pants is because Fulmer did not like the orange pants which were introduced by Majors in 1977. And I suppose that is probably for his disgust of Majors. Go back and look at the road games when Cobb and Webb were running over everyone. Or when the Minister of Defense was destroying offensive linemen. Or Dale Jones intercepting Shula in Legion Field, or Johathan Jones streaking through the Alabama defense in 1983. Orange pants are more of a Tennessee tradition than black or gray uniforms will ever be in my opinion.
Good point, it's a different look with traditional colors, as opposed to an different look with alternate colors.
Having said that, I still like the 2009 black jerseys.

Personally nothing looks better than Orange on white and white on white. But I do like the orange on orange a few times a year. I don't mind white on orange either. At least they're our colors. No black unis, no gray unis.

Reactions: ncvol17 and TJSVOLS
I’m listening to Basilio (who I know many here really dislike) and he’s saying we now have “mojo” with them.

I’d say betting odds are for our true “traditional” away uniforms...white tops and orange pants. As Crash Davis put it in Bull Durham, “respect the streak...if you believe you’re playing well because you’re wearing women’s underwear, then you are”

Reactions: Pacer92
Reactions: Pacer92
Nope,,, they are suppose to be a team. Not a pack of individuals trying to say "look at me". Do what ever the team does or find another "group" to play with. This "do as I please" crap will come soon enough with the "pay me" program coming. Don't think I will like it very much....
I don't mean everybody wear what you want. I mean that it's ok if they decide as a team to do something different.

I think for the most part inspirational speeches, uniform colors, etc doesn’t matter in game. That said motivating focus in practice from excitement is important for coaches. It’s why they have dumb cliche stuff. Football is an incredibly demanding physical sport if a uniform helps motivate even a small amount, it’s worth it.

I absolutely believe the uniforms had some effect on the players and the crowd in that Halloween game versus Carolina years ago.
I agree. But man those things looked cheap lol.

A while ago (80's 90's) it seemed like everytime we wore all orange we lost.....

I’ve been advocating for orange pants for awhile. It’s a nice change up from our throwbacks that we are wearing now . We are basically Penn State in Orange right now . Hopefully next year we can modernize the uniform while maintaining a traditional look.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Ok, so this may sound a bit ridiculous, but do you think a change in uni's makes a difference - in mindset of players, excitement level, etc? I remember the black uni's Kiffin pulled out for the USCjr game on Halloween 2009 and that team was totally juiced! Also remember the smokey greys being used against FL in our last win against the gators. Saturday's all orange look was different and our guys seemed to come out with a completely different mindset and energy level.

So, do you think a change in uni's has a psychological impact on the players and how they play? If it does, I say change them out every weekend for the rest of the season a la Oregon and let's get this team to a damn bowl game!!!

I used to ask my younger brother why he went to the trouble of making sure he had all his extras on before he played, like a wrist band on his forearm, a towel, and black under his eyes, and what not his response was "Well if ya look good, ya play good". So it may or may not have an actual impact but I can see why some players make think that.

VN Store

Back